Is this a good meme or a bad meme?

is this a good meme or a bad meme?

no meme is good meme

>pic related
Here's the very beginning. Just read the two pages and tell me what you think

god i miss reading this. i'll have to put it on my re-read list.

Been meaning to read it for a while and finally started reading it alongside the Aeneid a few days ago. So fucking wonderful, can't believe I waited so long

What a shit translation.

Also, this is the Ciardi translation--to those interested in knowing.

>reads it in his head
>'what a shit translation!'

It seems like a quality meme

That translation is terrible.

feels good being an italian

What the fuck do you assholes recommend then?

Mandelbaum's.

>inb4 a non verse translation gets recommended

I don't know, I read it in italian, but I can say that this translation has some differences and liberties than the original text. But then, I don't know if an english translation could be much better than that. You can still understand the main points anyway.

In the version I posted, there are notes at the end of each cantos highlighting particular lines, stanzas, etc., some of which are from the translator saying that he was forced to eschew particularly 'accurate' translation to preserve structure. But he then explains what the original was and how similar he still was. Idk, it reads great to me and the notes are fantastic.

whats the cover of the version?

Oh, if that's the case, then I guess it's ok.

oh cool this is the copy I coincidentally have

Also, I just realized I have mandelbaums translation of the Aeneid and, I'm not sure if it's the difference between Virgil and Dante, or Baum and Ciardi, it's honestly not as enjoyable to me. It's still nice, but it's not as sweeping.

Dirt cheap and reliable, I love signet classics