Book contains a sentence in a foreign language without any translation

>book contains a sentence in a foreign language without any translation
>doesn't translate properly in Google Translate
This is bullshit. Why does the author assume that anyone will be able to read it?

Other urls found in this thread:

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In the case of blood meridian the author has the translations on his website

>not being at least quadrilingual
wew

I'm monolingual and I'm over 25 so it's too late for me to learn any other language fluently.

1. You don't need to learn it to the highest standard
2. If Conrad did it you can do it too

It's not literally Cormac's website though LMAO

>it's too late for me to learn any other language fluently.
Source?

That's what a bunch of Europeans told me one day on Veeky Forums. They said if you weren't bilingual as a kid it was extremely hard to learn new languages because you have only one basis and after 25, your brain starts decaying.

>what a bunch of Europeans told me one day on Veeky Forums

there you go

I started learning Spanish at 25. I am fluent now. Even Spanish speakers will have to look at a country specific dictionary when reading novels from other hispanic nations.

I find that very hard to believe. If you apply yourself for the next five years I'm sure you'd be able to learn any language in category I and II on effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

whats the most lit language to learn?

Start with the Ancient Greek.

then what

Resume with the Romans, (Latin).

user isn't there any context around it? If it's a reply you could perhaps figure it out! COME ON user! YOU CAN DO IT!

then what?

French/Italian/German/Russian, in whichever order has the literature you like the most.

>and after 25, your brain starts decaying.
your brain starts the last process of shedding the useless thoughts of childhood. this lasts until late 30s when the brain becomes its most powerful, logic, reason and empathy now fully grown, matured and greased by use. only stupid kids think they can tell people who are older than them what its like to be older. I see this a lot of philsophy discussions here, people of 20 trying to understand the thoughts of someone twice or three times their age, you can't, its not possible. The things you need to have and to have happened to get to the point you can have and understand those thoughts havent happened to you yet. Its fiction to you.

>Why does the author assume that anyone will be able to read it?
They don't. They assume people won't be able to read it and get all butthurt about it, thus providing eternal yukyuks from beyond the grave.

The Spanish was simple enough to understand, even for someone who had never studied it, like me.
If you had any trouble getting it, consider yourself a sub 100 IQ individual.

>buy an English translation of a French/German work
>still contains untranslated Latin sentences

>Angl* historian/theorist of Renaissance art inserts Italian sentence/quotation without translation to suck to up Italians who only really like Italian art because they are Italian...

>t.monocuck

Some asshole recommended Copleston's History of Philosophy but its filled with lots of untranslated Greek and Latin. Important shit too, at least it seems important from the context. He pulls you in with all sorts of nice and readable English and then all of a sudden "the theory of duihvdhf involves the fuihdsvsi which then goes around to the soihfvs. Plato held to this hard rule of oishgro so it's very important that you know sfihvdu." I spent a lot of money on these fucking books.

How will i know if i like the literature if i don't know the language?

Don't the Spanish and Poles or Czechs have a greater literary output than the Italians?

Google translate desperately needs a Sindarin translator

Why would you even need that?

yeah sorry user.
trilingual european here - english, german and french + serbian
it's too late to do anything I suggest suicide t bh

>not learning Italian for the comedy alone
stay plebe

Terms like aletheia, eudaimonia, techne, eidos, etc. are rarely translated from greek. The same thing happens with German sometimes. Translating a word strips out its historical context and may vary its meaning or significance in an author's work.

At the end of the day, there are a handful of foreign terms that you should be familiar with if you want to do philosophy.

How do you start to learn ancient Greek? I'm too old for school so I don't think that's an option anymore. Do you know any good websites or other resources?

To pour thousands of hours into understanding a work that has been analyzed, dissected, and optimised for centuries, and whose literary merit in the original language can be gleaned from the sound and visual beauty of the writing alone seems utterly unpractical.

>Serbian

Why bother storing that trash in your brain?

There are some good textbooks on amazon, if you feel like you have a few hundred spare hours. At the start it can feel impossible to teach it to yourself, but in my experience it gets easier and more fun as you start to make progress.

Nabokov pulls this fucking bull like no other

If you're going to write trilingual novel at least warn me beforehand, mein gott, I read books in english not russian or spanish

inb4 buh buh its more beautiful if its written in

>too late to learn a language at 25
This is an excuse you're using to be lazy. Plenty of people learn that late.

I appreciate the recommendation. I'm still on the fence on whether or not I want to put in the time, money, and effort. I wonder, is New Testament Greek all that different from the sort of ancient Greek we see in Plato?

Bellow keeps doing this to me in Herzog. I have no trouble with the French, as every Westerner should have at least a rudimentary understanding of it, but there are three or so other languages he uses.