/GG/ - GYRO GENERAL

Post you most delicious looking gyros here. Shawarma, doners, kebabs, and even falafel are welcome. Discuss gyro places and experiences with buttfuckingly amazing gyros.

Bonus Question: How would you replicate the perfect gyro at home without a certified Meat-Tornado Machine©? Fries inside preferred but not necessary.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dj0EpQMMbFI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>How would you replicate the perfect gyro at home
You don't

Fuck you it's possible nigga

but it's really not

Then I will make it real myself.

Well it wouldn't be TOO hard to make a rotating spit.
The hardest part would be getting the temp right
But honestly not worth the effort

Turns out they sell gyro spits on amazon, with ones ranging from portable kitchen size at $70 to restaurant size one at 1k per pop. It's doable. Now I'm just wondering what the pitas are grilled in and how to get the fluffy pitas. And what kind/cut of meat to get and how to cut it and season it. Do you think there is a marinade?

We have a place in Toronto, called "Alexandros." Its in the heart of Greektown, there is also one downtown though. I like it the most. It's simple.

Fresh Pita, tzaziki, onions and tomatoes. Your choice of chicken or pork meat. I prefer the pork. The pitas here are really fresh, which is amazing.

I don't think gyros should have anything else on them, ESPECIALLY french fries. That's just not normal.

You can't replicate them at home, sorry. You can make some sore of souvlaki chopped up in a pita, but gyro meat is done on a spit.

Place here has it set up like a subway/chipotle where you can put a bunch of other shit on it too.

Also a gyros egg roll.

Pita is really easy to make with normal kitchen utensils. The main issue for me would be that there's no way to efficiently make a small quality of the meat. You'd have to be eating it every single day to have a chance of using it up without waste.

*quantity

I'm kinda into meal prep, I could eat gyros everyday for a week no problem, that's why I made the thread.

Make a greekloaf, cook it most of the way through, then grill it over a screamin' hot grill or in a nice cast iron. Won't be exactly the same, but pretty similar.

Man fuck, a local place near me has lamb gyros... Fuck they're good.

what's the deal with beef/lamb instead of pork? every place I've been to the pork was great, but it seems like it's way less popular. one place I went to even would give you free fries and drink with a pork gyros. I asked the guy why and he said it was because no one ordered it even though all the employees thought it was better.

I like mine with lots more feta and sauce though.

There’s a place in Asheville, NC called the Apollo Flame Bistro, a little family-owned Greek place. Best gyros I’ve ever had, but admittedly I’ve had very few others. Never heard of fries inside the gyro, might have to try that next time.

*braps your path*

That's a taco.... You probably say gyro wrong too!

>chicken or pork
Authentic. Shame you see so many places using lamb meat, which nobody ever gets in Greece.

Bonus points for not including fries, although funnily enough that's only a thing in Greece even though it's not really authentic.

>he posted the baja chalupa

Top tier patrician taste

If I have a leftover grilled porkchop I slice it thinly, season it and roast it some more, put in a pita and pretend its gyros

Vast majority of gyros in greece is pork. Some chicken here and there

>Closest place that serves gyros is 30 minutes away, 1 hour round trip
>Everything close to me is utter fast food garbage
>Not even "good" fast food, just shit like McDonald's and Pizza Hut and Subway

Damn, looks nice. What city?

>most places in Greece serve mustard and ketchup
but that's wrong
actually very few do that

>mfw live 5 minutes from a Greek restaurant ran by Greeks
Lol except the stupid waitresses always say "gy-roh" so, y'know...

Would it even be possible to have a keto friendly gyro?

> you will never ever find a decent gyro marinade recipe that tastes authentic

Dunno why i replied to you

>Do you think there is a marinade?

Olive oil, lemon, oregano, salt & pepper.

I think the point of fries was that gyros was something you'd have on the go, so they just included the side inside the wrap for you to pick out as you eat. At least that's how I usually do it.

You could do a spicy chicken one on the spit very easily. Lamb would be another story though. Too expensive to roti it.

Where is the best place for a gyro in d.c?

Whats best place for gyros in Hong Kong?

If only the Greeks didn't have to deal with the Turks for so long and instead were able to conquer parts of Central & Southern Americas.

It would've been a better world desu

gyro-mena eh? chicago perhaps?

Istanbul Express in Wanchai

there's a deli at 19th and l that's pretty good

Thanks. I will try.

I don't know that I've ever had an authentic gyro, the ones I've had have always been ground beef and lamb with spices, compacted into a brick, grilled, and then thinly sliced.
I've made it at home a few times and it's really fucking good and not hard at all. I also make tzatziki with cucumbers, Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon, mint, green onion, and salt and pepper.
All served on big fluffy pitas that were heated up on the grill, tomatoes, and fries.

Depends on if you consider just meat, tomatoes, and sauce to be a gyro.

>order chicken gyro
>this fucking thing shows up

Depends where you live.

>Shawarma, doners, kebabs, and even falafel are welcome.
Are donairs okay? ;_;

>Olive oil, lemon, oregano, salt & pepper.
+ garlic

t. Greek

>easiest way to make gyros at home

youtube.com/watch?v=dj0EpQMMbFI

It's a very good attempt and no need for any meme machines either. Also you can just use grilled marinated pork or chicken skewers if you want a simpler dish.