Thomas Ligotti

Why is he so perfect?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Fteka44kbY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Autism.

He's really good unless he goes into "clowns and puppets are sooo scary" mode.

Just so, Last Feast of the Harlequin is fucking amazing.

duno why but this is my fav
youtube.com/watch?v=9Fteka44kbY

you just casually shat on literally the best story in that ENTIRE collection

My droog. Bungalow House is my absolute favorite, even if you can see the ending coming from a mile away. The entire thing is so damned creepy, and the 'meeting' in the library. So damn good. And even better when read aloud! I plan on rectifying the dirth of Ligotti on YouTube as soon as I can afford a microphone.

The way he uses clowns genuinely unnerves me.

But they are the things of nightmares, user.

Because he knows his limits - horror, short stories - and works within them. (genre, length) He avoids going beyond his capacity as a writer (which is very high, granted) and as such his perfection can only be labelled somewhat contrived since he hasn't attempted a novel or something less genrey. This isn't a reproach - Borges was very much the same.

That said, I consider him the greatest living prose stylist in English.

Download the Current 93 stuff - the Unholy City, I have a Special Plan, Foreign Land, etc. Great stuff.

Have you read "Gas station carnivals" from Teatro Grottesco? I think it's his best story.

because you want to kill people, monsieur. you're a dangerous man. this road you're going down leads to a very dark place. the lord watches over you my child. you will find rest at the end of your days if you do but toil IN HIS NAME

Nah, not even among the best five.

this cover is fucking hideous, literally worse than any wordsworth cover

Aw. I actually quite like it. Fits with his cruel absurdity thing.

list em bitch

Reading Ligotti has revolutionized my idea of horror - first with this collection, pushing the Lovecraftian theme of humanity's precarious existence on the filmsy stage of emptiness to the most beautiful, splatterpunk-ish heights, then with Teatro grottesco and its saga about the alien quality of humanity, its faceless brutality sublimed in bureacracy.

I don't know if it's the right place to ask, but I'm writing a short story for a competition in my home country, about my hometown and I've chosen to write a horror story from the point of view of a nocturnal, autistic erudite, chasing the phantasmatic root of evil he perceives in the chtonian bowels of his homeland. Any stories, essays or novels to read on this theme, beyond the usually mentioned?

Awful purple prose. Should learn from the likes of Robert Aickman how to do horror right.

The King in Yellow is probably the most disquieting thing I've ever read in my life.

Does anyone know if Dax Riggs was inspired by Ligotti for his lyrics? There are way too many similarities for it to be a coincidence but I can't find anything concrete

How can one man be so debased?

The story about the mannequins scared me out like no other horror story has, except perhaps rats in the wall.
Any other horror anthology/collection that's worth getting?

>Borges wrote genre fiction

Yes I am mad

>a horror book cover should be pleasing to look at

Calm down, it's obvious I didn't mean that Borges wrote genre fiction, but that he never wrote a novel, and played within the short story form instead. But on the question of genre fiction, Borges also played a lot with that too, subverting and recreating some of the conventions of the genre; adventure, detective, mystery, and the like, for example.

its already too late for me to calm down, I am fuming at this point. I am coming for you and I will find you because I am a man with a very particular set of skills.

OK, Liam, come on over, I'll get the tea wet.

Because ur a child

Borges indeed wrote genre fiction. See his collabs with Adolfo Bioy Casares.

you havent been good in dick all since schindlers list altho lego movie good too

You know he wrote a nonfiction book that he is as well known for now as his horror stories, right? His work on pessimism is the counter weight that keeps his horror revolving.

Right. So one recent non-fiction work and a whole slew of horror short stories. I doubt he's as well known for Conspiracy as for the rest though.

Having said that, I very much enjoy the Dark Beauty of Unknown Horrors, the very first piece I ever read by him in a HPL tribute volume many moons ago. It read more like an essay than a short story. In fact, come to think of it, it probably is an essay masquerading as a short story, as are his other stories, to a certain extent.

Conspiracy is what Pizzolatto was most 'inspired' by for True Detective.

I don't have or watch TV, sorry.
>figure of speech: I'm not at all sorry/

The Troubles of Dr. Thoss
The Chymist
Labyrinthine Eyes
Flowers of the Abyss
Fleurs

Your turn. Cunt.

Finally pulled the trigger on Teatro Grottesco. Now I've got that and a first printing of Nightmare Factory.

Really looking forward to reading Gas Station Carnivals.

My top five are

Teatro Grottesco
Dr. Locrian's Asylum
Jaunt
Last Festival of the Harlequin
Bungalow House

I thought we were talking about that particular collection.

Any of you antinatalists have Benatar books as epubs?

Is Pat Benatar a writer now too?

David.

I was going to say "when wasn't she?"
upon further research I've found out that most of her hits were written for her. She probably writes the filler material

I'm a rebel man. I don't have to play by your rules man. Stop narcing on my good time man.

Recommend something by this Aick...man.

Eugene Thacker

Best collections of this guy?

I read the book but found it really underwhelming. May be because I wasn't a big fan of horror fiction to begin with.