Is there any interesting literature about the Zodiac Killer...

Is there any interesting literature about the Zodiac Killer, or related to media-darling murderers like him and Jack the Ripper?

Other urls found in this thread:

zodiackillersite.com/
orangecoast.com/features/center-of-the-universe/
straightdope.com/columns/read/620/did-dr-henry-holmes-kill-200-people-at-a-bizarre-castle-in-1890s-chicago
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's an entire subgenre of anarcho-primitivist writing based around the Unabomber Manifesto. There was also a fictionalized account of the Son of Sam killings that, iirc, was well received.

I'm gonna say that anything decent on the subject of the Zodiac Killer is gonna be buried under heaps of trash.

I'm mostly interested in these people for their relationship to the media as anonymous or vague characters. I think that, at least with the two I mentioned since I don't know much about Unabomber, that their murders seem to be swarmed by a bunch of loose narratives that many people tried to work to their own advantage.

The ideology of these killers is not so interesting, as I think they're all disturbed and unjustified anyway.

anarcho-primitivism preceded Kaczynski.

I never claimed that the unabomber invented anarcho-primitivism you fucking donut

Well I can't really help you there; I'm completely geared in the opposite direction, I find media fixation on serial criminals meaningless garbage but am more interested in their methodology and ideals.

Programmed to Kill - The Politics of Serial Murder by Dave McGowan is the essential book on the "serial killer" phenomenon. No BS psychoanalysis.

Want to try La Bas by Huysmans? Or some Northeastern witch hysteria?

I don't know about these. Do you think they're applicable to this interest, how?

Libra, Delillo

This. Many of the American "serial killers" were returned Vietnam veterans who were operatives in the Phoenix Program - the CIA/Military Intelligence psyop program of targeted assassinations of Vietnamese civilians. Douglas Valentine's "The Phoenix Program" would make great supportive reading.

Well I don't know what aspect specifically you're interested in because you didn't elaborate, but I assume your impulse is one close to Huysmans, and therefore I think you'd enjoy it. The reversal of your image of the individual murderer replaced by the communication that led to witch hunts and such I find to be of more interest in the study of media. But then, I do find the Zodiac case to be terrifying, just not at the level of media saturating terror that history provides. It's a bit ridiculous to contemplate these horrors next to brutality of dragging a man around the city with a chariot so that all know of your exploit. I almost see why idiots of all levels of intelligence get so romantic about even a taste of the macabre.

This is on my list for sure.

Well it sounds like we're thinking about some of the same subjects/implications, so I'll check it out.

>There's an entire subgenre
where?

What about that book that Jake Gyllenhaal wrote in Fincher's Zodiac?

In the movie you can see it at an aiport but maybe it's good, who can say

Robert Graysmiths book obviously

inspired by a true story

What an uncanny face.

This book is great true crime. It is well written and gritty and not exploitative.

Also Helter Skelter, The Night Stalker, and The Stranger Beside Me for serial killer books.

Absolute garbage.

He frames an autistic robot who had nothing to do with it.

Also OP, check out the official forum: zodiackillersite.com/

They found a new clue only a couple of months ago (the backpage ad of an investigative reporter in SanFran used an image that the Zodiac copied in his Halloweeen letter with the 14 eyes)

bullshit.

While Ted was eventually ID'ed and caught, the Stranger Beside Me is a great book about the search for a serial killer and does a good job of conveying how terrifying Bundy was.
And it was written by an actual friend of his

citation please bro, "bullshit" is not an argument.

Trash. See

Look up Richard Ramirez and his Green Beret cousin

See

This

This.

you can't cite non-proof of something that never existed

its like me asking for a citation to prove that you didn't get dropped on your head as a child

This is what originally started my interest. It's great.

SO FUCKING GOOD. get the one with annotations too

here ya go, OP
orangecoast.com/features/center-of-the-universe/

checking this 1 out, thanks

Damn, that was a really nice story. Thanks for sharing.

glad you liked it. there's a movie on the way about this guy:
straightdope.com/columns/read/620/did-dr-henry-holmes-kill-200-people-at-a-bizarre-castle-in-1890s-chicago

and this is not a serial killer (that we know) but a really interesting read:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case

>Dave McGowan
file alongside John DeCamp and Ted Gunderson as delusional conspiracy theorists

Yawn so what if McGowan was possibly delusional? That doesn't in any way effect the quality of his scholarship, you can acertain that for yourself by checking out the bibliography and citations in non-fiction books, if you are familiar with non-fiction. Protip they usually don't have pictures so you may get bored and confused by all the big words.

Waah everyfwing I dont wike is a conspiwacy feowist wahh