Which language has produced the best literature, English or French?

And is French worth picking over, say, Spanish or German in term of literature?

>And is French worth picking over, say, Spanish or German in term of literature?
I mean which should I learn.

Learned French for two years outside of school and i didn't enjoy reading it. From the outside German looks like a better investment, especially if your interests are after 1830s. It's helpful to be able to read French though because it shows up a lot in English writing. My advice is to try it for now and see how you feel about it in 6-9 months. Become committed to whatever you end up doing so you do not waste time fretting.

I doubt you can enjoy reading a foreign language after just 2 years of study.

I haven't enjoyed a single french book as much as i enjoyed don quijote. And the books on english i've enjoyed as much are the hobbit and lotr.

I'd say pick german

>And the books on english
On English? What?
>I haven't enjoyed a single french book as much as i enjoyed don quijote.
What did you read specifically?

Don't listen to any Jerrycucks here. German is a disgusting language. French is beautiful.

definitive Veeky Forumslanguage rankings
>Spanish (synergy of prose/poetry)
>Portuguese (best poetry, terse, punchy 20th century prose)
>French (pseud-ass prose from 19th century onward, Proust is a faggot, quality poetry)
>English (poetry is trash outside of Byron, prose is quality if uninspired)

>French (pseud-ass prose from 19th century onward, Proust is a faggot, quality poetry)
Absolutely disagree. France is where modern prose originated.

ESL-kun here has read one poet in English (Byron), because anything beyond that is too complex.
Delusion

Read some Kipling. He's not hard.

I'm insulting the dip that thinks Byron is the peak of English poetry.
Byron isn't even a good poet, holy shit. He's important at most.

Oh right. Just re-read your post. I'm retarded please accept my apology.

>Delusion
I'm literally btfo by your irrefutable argument.

If by modern, you mean bad, then sure.
Modern prose began in the dark extremities of German romanticism. Perhaps you mean modern poetry began in French? I don't disagree with that.

German is also a gorgeous language. You can't read or speak it and probably think the German you heard from Shoah propaganda in high school is good German.

BTFO

German sounds like the sound a piece of aluminium foil stuck in a sweaty plumbers crack would make as he waddles around.

Romance is where its at

You haven't heard any German. Only garbage dialects sound bad.

All of them

even germans hate the sound of german. It's not as bad as french, but you're reaching if you're calling it gorgeous.

Only 'cuck' Germans hate the sound of German.
Back to /r/eddit bucko

Sorry adolf, I don't mean to offend but german sounds awful. You are either a butthurt german yourself or a """german"""-american from some flyover hellhole if you legitimately think otherwise.

I'm neither and only begun to learn German last year.
I'm not American either.

Both French and German are relatively hard to learn, for different reasons. Learn the one that appeals to you the most. The one advantage that French has is that if you become fluent the other Romance languages will be a piece of cake, especially Italian. With German you will have a much easier time learning Dutch or Afrikaans afterwards, but they're objectively less useful and have produced less literature. And native speakers of Dutch will want to showcase their English skills as soon as they detect you're a foreigner.

As to whom has the best literature, the French or the Anglos, it's a non contest really. If we're talking about novels no one comes close to these two except the Russians. But Proust is indeed a faggot.

Mandarin.

>>English (poetry is trash outside of Byron
AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Byron isn't even in the top 20 English poets. In fact, he's probably the worst of the 6 major Romantics. Dumb continental Europeans just worshipped him because he was a celebrity.

italian

Learn German for Philosophy and French for Literature, it's as simple as that

french, monsieur

Français

As a native speaker I may be biased but I think the literature you'll "unlock" with French will be more varied and better for your long term growth as a person than Spanish or German

German is the superior language if you intend to study philosophy. The main draw of Spanish is the writings of adventurers and influential people from the New World (Francisco de Miranda, Bartolome de las Casas etc.)

You're a naziboo