Why aren't you a vegan yet? Do you hate yourself, and your environment...

Why aren't you a vegan yet? Do you hate yourself, and your environment? Eating meat is one of the worst things we can do as humans, to our bodies; its almost as bad as smoking. You can get all the nutrients you need from plant-based food, and you don't have to harm animals to get it!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid#Essentiality_in_humans
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process
youtube.com/watch?v=q2yV1Kgcmg4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do you know someone is vegan? Don't worry, they'll rudely tell you because they feel inferior due to lack of protein.

Vegans are worse than vidya game fanboys. They pick a single food type to eat, and then brag about that food type while shitting on the rest. Well I'm not a fanboy faggot. I can afford to eat both vegetables and meat, and enjoy the platform exlusives both have to offer.

Beyond getting old at this point.

The same reason I litter and never recycle. I’m selfish and I don’t care. Fuck the environment and fuck farm animals.

100 calories of beef has about 11 grams of protein. 100 calories of broccoli has about 8 grams. So that image is just wrong in with the numbers. But 100 calories/11 grams of protein from beef is from 1.5 oz of it, while you need 10 ounces of broccoli to get the 100 calories/8 grams. So you have to eat almost 10 times the amount of broccoli to get the same amount of protein.

Here's your (You) ya cocksucka

>MUH PROTEIN

Never gonna make it

Future generations will probably all live more like vegetarians. Livestock takes way too much space that could be used for growing veggies.

Nobody is going to eat 10oz of broccoli. That's an entire meal of misery

I was just refuting the bad math and misleading information. Please refrain from greentexting made-up arguments in a way that makes it easy for you to look like you've won. This is a common problem on Veeky Forums and it's just low quality posting.

Future generations will probably be eating lab-grown meat because it's cleaner and more efficient. Animal products still provide some benefits and there are multiple problems with completely cutting them out of your diet.

Honestly. Most people can't cook either beef or broccoli good enough.

Honestly, they're much better off shilling for soy, which is packed with protein. Only an idiot would claim broccoli was a good source of protein compared to meat.

>Only an idiot would claim broccoli was a good source of protein compared to meat.
That's why they twisted the information to do it by 100 calories instead of 100 grams or a unit of weight instead. That's assuming this isn't just an image made entirely for trolling.

how to redpill vegans 101

>Shitposting on my /b/?
Its more likely than you think.

Maybe as meat replacement. But I don't think growing meat in a lab will ever be cheaper than growing some crops.

Protein isn't just protein. There are many variants of proteins. The kind of protein you find in broccoli is nowhere near as beneficial for muscle growth as the kind of protein found in meats are. And on top of that, you would have to eat a metric fuckton of broccoli to even compete with the amounts of beef has. Eating anything in such an abundance is not healthy.

>Want to eat 25g of protein (100g of beef)
>Have to eat 893g of broccoli or about 30362kcal of worth of broccoli
that's a lotta broccoli.

Because meat tastes good, and it's easily available, and the last 10,000 years worth of ancestors set me up so I wouldn't have to be.

I eat 10 ounces of broccoli all the time. I didn't even know it was 10oz.

I am considering following in the footsteps of my idol, Adolf Hitler, and adopting a vegetarian lifestyle. This would be purely for health reasons, seeing as I have bowel issues.

>per calories
And that's with broccoli's calories coming mostly from fibers, that we don't digest.

animals cant think so they're the same as plants, fuck the environment, it's just delish

"protein"
Humans don't need "protein", we need specific amino acids that only animals produce.
Bait master

>we need specific amino acids that only animals produce.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid#Essentiality_in_humans

Which of these are only found in meat, Dr. Bromedicine?

I guess TECHNICALLY you could get all your proteins from greens.
But have fun eating literal pounds of greens when you could eat 250 g of meat.

Yeah, or grains and pulses like people have been doing for tens of thousands of years

People were horribly undernourished in the past retard.
Why do you think our average height has increased so much since the mid 1800's?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process

Do I have to google everything for you?

I know it's a troll thread and OP isn't actually vegan or even vegetarian but I'm curious what cut of beef they used for their source. Any clues?
Cuz I have a strong suspicion they're pulling numbers out of their arseholes.
See, 43 calories of raw flank is 6g of protein, so 100 calories would have 14 g of protein (100 cal of cooked is 14.5g of protein, so not much of a difference).
Source: nutritiondata.com
Cooked flank: nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/7382/2
Raw flank: nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/7396/2

Also, 100cal of raw broccoli is 9.7g of protein and 100cal of cooked is 7.14. Neither are 11.1g of protein, as claimed.
Furthermore, 11.1 g of protein from raw broccoli is 335g of the stuff (444g of cooked broccoli) while 100g of cooked flank is 52g of beef.

I call shenanigans.

>TECHNICALLY

Beans and rice provides a complete protein. is way, way cheaper than meat, and you get other vitamins and shit with it.

Meat is actually super expensive for what it provides.

Wow, thanks to the magic of industry we can overcome the shittyness of grains through raw volume.
Doesn't change the fact that people in the past were undernourished and would kill to have the availability of food we have today.

Vegetarian here.

The real issue is that they don't point out that beef would be a complete protein, whereas broccoli wouldn't be.

Rice and beans aren't greens.
Obviously rice and beans work since latin americans subsist on rice and beans.

>Meat is actually super expensive for what it provides.
Not if you're just considering protein and not buying the most expensive cuts. I can regularly find chicken legs for less than $1/lb and they give 3x as much protein as the same amount of cooked lentils.

>Meat is actually super expensive for what it provides.
Even more so when you consider how much free money the government showers on either the meat industry directly or crops whose primary use is for animal feed

Because I don’t want to limit the pool of food I can enjoy. If you’re vegan, I don’t give a shit. I’m just gonna enjoy my burger with extra cheese while you enjoy your vegan shit.

Now shut the fuck and and take your (You).

Those are the subsidized costs. They also don't take into account the insane amount of R&D we're going to need to spend when we run out of effective antibiotics

>while 100g of cooked flank is 52g of beef.
What the fuck was I thinking when I typed that, shit. It should read:
>while 11.1g of protein from cooked flank is 80g of beef
Sorry for the confusion.

>would kill to have the availability of food we have today.

Of course, we have an absurd excess of all food, to the point that grocery stores throw out a shitload of expired food on the daily. They don't donate it to any people in need because then they could be sued.

The world changes, some things get better, and some worse.

>people used to be malnourished, why are they nourished now?
>here is why
>wow people in the past would kill for what we have now
...ok? I guess I should buy a gun just in case a 17th century farmer teleports through the fabric of time to kill me for the sausages I've got on the stove?

For cultural reasons, I'm what many have come to call a 'Flexitarian' by which I mean I don't eat a lot of animal-sourced food altogether.
The real issue is that the infographic is just outright false in all regards.

True, and lab-grown meat will probably help a lot with the overuse of antibiotics. But, we really can't just put everyone on a vegan diet. It's not what we're meant to eat, and it's not when we're healthiest. Yes, most people don't eat enough whole grains and vegetables, and they eat too much meat and sugar, but animal products still provide health benefits and we should have them in our diet, just in the right amounts.

i dont eat meat for nutritional reasons, its because i like the way it tastes, they ways you can cook it differently

Not greens, no.

My bad, I thought you meant vegetables.

As far as I know, you cannot get all your protein from greens, as they all lack some amino acids.

But it's possible with vegetables, very easily.

>grains make people healthy!
>no they don't, history proves you wrong
>uhhhh no now we can produce grains on an unheard of scale therefore grains make you healthy
I guess I shouldn't expect logic in a bait thread.

>But, we really can't just put everyone on a vegan diet
I'm not advocating veganism, just responding to abject ignorance
>It's not what we're meant to eat
"Meant to eat" is superstitious bro science, by using sloppy language you're promoting the creationism/intelligent design crowd. It's perfectly possible to live a healthy diet that is free of animal protein, the issue is that it's a lot easier to do this with a *balanced* diet that contains some animal products. Most people screeching about how the only options are raw kale or a heap of pink slime with every meal are obviously not eating a balanced diet, nor would they recognize one if you smacked them over the head with it

>with none of the violence
In that case nobody should ever raise chickens, because those little bastards are dumb as fuck and get themselves killed all the time.

I raise bantam chickens (mostly for eggs, I discovered too late that they're absolute fucking garbage for meat production after a few butcherings) and I have to take special precautions to make sure they don't accidentally get themselves killed from foxes, hawks and my dogs. In fact, the only humane way any of them have died so far is from me butchering them: I hang them upside-down for a minute so that all the blood rushes to their head, then I cut their heads off with a sharp knife. They don't feel much (if any) pain due to being dazed from the head rush, and the whole process is over in a matter of seconds.

I hate this fucking vegan bullshit of "you're torturing your animals if you eat them!", like people who raise animals for meat torture them for the fuck of it.

If you consider the protein and cheap cuts, meat is still super expensive.

Compare the price to create 100g of protein from rice and beans, and 100g of protein from meat.

Grains make people unhealthy? What is this shit, are you going to start posting "wheat is murder" memes now?

The reason people were squat and lived short lives in ye olde times was because their overall diet was restricted for reasons above and beyond just land productivity. You couldn't get fresh fruits and vegetables in January in Scotland back then. They didn't understand disease or hygiene very well. There was no indoor plumbing. There were no food banks, or electric refrigerators, or food safety laws.

Even my grandpa, who was born close to 100 years ago, died in his 50s from complications from an early childhood illness that's basically unheard of now.

Vegetable matter is not why people back then had shitty lives, Dr. Broscience.

I think it's overblown too, you see that a lot today, unfortunately, with SJWs and whatnot. Outrage culture, etc.

The core argument isn't all that disagreeable though: if it's possible to live for the same cost (money/effort) without violence, and potentially be healthier, isn't that better?

We can argue about incomplete nutrition facts until we've exhausted what science can CURRENTLY explain (of course in the future we'll have more information, but we won't know if we have the full picture ever), but when it takes less work, money, and space to grow plants, in addition to reducing any kind of violence, is that so bad?

Well, to be fair, grains DID make people unhealthy.

I'm talking fucking ages ago though, when humans FIRST started eating grains. Grains contain lectin, something that people hadn't really encountered up until that point. About half of the living population was deathly allergic to lectins.

Everyone alive now is a descendant of someone that wasn't allergic, so it's not really relevant now, but grains were very unhealthy for some people.

I think 100g of protein from lentils would be about $1.25, and 100g of protein from chicken legs would be about $2.50. So it's double the price, but the chicken also has about double the calories so I can eat less to feel full.

>grains were very unhealthy for some people.
Sure, and so was milk for the lactose intolerant. And so was alcohol for those who lack alcohol dehydrogenase. And so were nightshades when nightshades hadn't been so carefully bred into harmlessness. And so was fucking meat, when it was bear livers. And yet.

Do you see now why it's bad to run around saying stuff like "humans were meant to eat ________"?

>and you don't have to harm animals to get it!

Yes you do. Shitloads of small animals die annually during the harvest of your precious vegetables.

A lot of vegans will say "but less animals die from harvesting crops than how many die from slaughter". Their main goal is just to be better than people who eat meat which is a little sad. Vertical farming is pretty neat and would probably reduce the number of animals killed during harvest but I don't see many vegans promoting that.

You are the best person to ever exist on this site. Thank you and God bless and may the Universe smile upon you.

>but less animals die from harvesting crops than how many die from slaughte
But that isn't wrong. The farm animals have to eat something, and almost everything they eat comes from feed crops.
>I don't see many vegans promoting that.
Something tells me most "vegans" you see "promoting" stuff are just shitposters on Veeky Forums. But it doesn't surprise me, when I lived in the midwest veganism was an outrageous fringe lifestyle associated with angsty high school students who soon outgrow it. Here on the coast there are actually normal adults who eat a vegan or near-vegan diet. And here on the coast you see a lot more of these vertical farming operations, due to the cost of land, and the higher demand for fresh micro-greens and similar hippie stuff.

>like people who raise animals for meat torture them for the fuck of it.

I used to work at a beef packing plant, and if anyone was ever caught abusing, hitting, or otherwise tormenting the cattle the the stock pens it was grounds for instant termination.

Bruising or upsetting the cows has a direct effect on profits, so there's no fucking around.

Look at black beans, rather than lentils.

It's also not that simple, as you have to include rice; the only legume that is a complete protein on its own is the soybean.

Rice is high in calories, and has some protein as well. It's quite filling too, when beans are added.

Sorry, I was a different person than the original guy that replied to you. I don't think it's sensible to say "humans were meant to eat X" in any case, as we have no direct evidence of anything. Just because we ate X first doesn't mean it's better than Y, for example. There is some evidence pointing to blood type being an indicator of what an individual's ideal diet is, but it's pseudoscience at this point.

I think rather than being better than people who eat meat, it might be less disingenuous to simply say "their main goal is to lessen the amount of violence against living things".

Though there are idiot militant vegans that don't adhere to that, I'm sure.

This is the biggest challenge for people trying to cut back meat and still be reasonably healthy. With meat you're set for protein, you just need some random arbitrary vegetable and you're well on your way to a kinda sorta balanced diet. Without meat, you really need a varied diet because no single protein source provides all the necessary amino acids. If you try and pull that "memorize a single recipe and eat that every day for six months with hot sauce" strategy that Veeky Forums loves, you're fucked.

But this is a board where apparently making a roux is advanced sorcery for professional cooks only, so something as complicated as a balanced diet is obviously out of the question.

>it might be less disingenuous to simply say "their main goal is to lessen the amount of violence against living things".
I'm not really sure it's safe to make sweeping claims about "their" main goal. Some vegans are no doubt motivated by feelings of guilt over animals dying. But others do it because they believe (with some justification) that it's less harmful to the environment. Or they may have concerns about the effects on public health (the nontherapeutic antibiotic situation). Or even as an arbitrary personal challenge, like "I'm going to run a marathon next year".

It's anecdotal of course, but from my experience the animal ethics thing is rare for adult vegans. I saw that with some of my high school friends but I've never heard it from an adult. Usually it falls more in the realm of "personal improvement" in one of the aforementioned areas.

>Without meat, you really need a varied diet because no single protein source provides all the necessary amino acids.

Anything soy based is a complete protein. Quinoa actually is as well, and can be used like rice. Mycoprotein (Quorn) can be used too, but that shit's expensive.

The cheapest, easiest complete protein is literally rice+beans. It gives the same collection of amino acids (at least the ones relevant for humans) as meat.

People seem to think it's some arcane formula that needs to be cracked, it's just braindead simple. If we taught this in school along with "meat good", it wouldn't be so strange to people.

>Though there are idiot militant vegans that don't adhere to that, I'm sure.
Yeah, there are some who just stop eating animal products because they want to reduce any suffering, but there are also more than a few who will laugh at people getting diseases from ticks that cause pain and suffering just because another symptom of the disease is an allergy to red meat. I mostly agree with moral vegans on the issues, but disagree on the solutions.

>I'm not really sure it's safe to make sweeping claims about "their" main goal.
Right, which is why I was calling the guy out on making a sweeping claim about their main goal.

I then made a suggestion that seems as though it might be less inflammatory, and that I hope is true, though the vocal vegans sure don't make it look true.

I'm also not a vegan, just for clarification.

>If we taught this in school along with "meat good", it wouldn't be so strange to people.
Pretty sure that's the main thing.

I use some combination of rice + beans for about 60% of my protein. I do tend to add a little meat though because I like the taste, but I've gotten pretty good at systematically reducing the amounts. Some weeks I'll go without. Usually not though, because I like meat and I have a source I buy from where the ethics and environmental impact are about as good as a person living in a first world country can reasonably expect.

Vitamin B12.

I wasn't trying to make sweeping claims about all vegans, just talking about the ones whose only defense for arguments is that meat-eaters are worse.

>"there's a problem with the vegan diet"
>"well that problem is worse for an omnivorous diet"
That's what I have a problem with, instead of thinking about ways to fix the issue that persists even on a vegan diet, their only argument is that they're better than meat-eaters.

You mean that vitamin that a lot of people can't actually metabolize through eating meat?

There are supplements for that.

>instead of thinking about ways to fix the issue that persists even on a vegan diet
But that's a bullshit argument, unless you redefine the concept of harm to animals there is no way "fix the issue" so all you're doing is advocating nihilism.
> their only argument is that they're better than meat-eaters.
Also not a good argument, I pick the cans and bottles out of my trash, I know some people don't, I don't run around thinking I'm some kind of enlightened being for sorting my trash, but I think it would be better if more people did, even though it won't stop global warming or whatever it is you want to whatabout on.

>undernourished and would kill to have the availability of food we have today
no, it'd kill them, like it is doing to us.
if you look when countries would have meat scarcity problems in the past and had to eat beans and grains they ended up being far less prone to heart disease longer life expectancy
Not having enough food is a problem but having too much of the wrong kinds of food is also a problem

Maybe not trying, but
>Their main goal is just to be better than people who eat meat which is a little sad.

This is a generalization, and it's disingenuous. I definitely think some idiot vegans just want to join some elite club or whatever, but it's somewhat about perspective.

If being better than someone that eats meat is achieved by making oneself a better person in general, I would say it's disingenuous to claim they're only doing it to be better than someone that eats meat.

I don't eat meat because I don't like the taste, and I find I'm much more energetic when I eat a vegetarian diet.

I agree with what you greentexted, but both statements should be replaced with "there's a problem with everyone's diet".

lol. vegans think they know good food. listen, all really good food requires animal products. go to France and eat some butter and Learn to enjoy your life a little bit.

>"there's a problem with everyone's diet".
Yeah I'm fine with that statement because it's true. Instead of advocating for veganism or for small-scale animal farming (which still results in death and potential suffering) I'd just like to see a bigger focus on lab-grown meat and vertical farming. Both of those things seem more promising, though harder to implement and develop.

>Eating meat is one of the worst things we can do as humans, to our bodies; its almost as bad as smoking.

That's the point user, I just really want to die and if eating is one way, that's the way I'm choosing

Guys, eating vegan makes you beautiful. Source:
youtube.com/watch?v=q2yV1Kgcmg4

For some strange reason, the language in this post matches my image of a typical frenchie with a beret, smoking a cigarette at a table at a sidewalk cafe in paris.

livestock deserve to be killed and eaten because they are the inferior creatures

Only northern french put butter on everything, and most of them are really bretons not french.

Also paris banned smoking in public places, thank god.

I eat meat for saturated fat, not for """protein""".

Another plus is less cholesterol, saturated and trans fats. Meat has too many drawbacks.

>I eat meat for bad fat

Good job, retard.

Saturated fat is good for you.

>lab-grown meat will probably help a lot with the overuse of antibiotics
Lab-grown meat requires a shitload of antibiotics, and will continue to do so until we invent an artificial immune system for it.

plants and animals have different proteins.

The most saturated natural fats are tropical plant oils. Animal fat is only about 50% saturated.

But they all get digested to amino acids, so amino acid balance is all that matters. Rice + beans gives you all the amino acids you need.

>hair and fingernails are made of protein as well
>time to enjoy a delicious nutritious cruelty free meal of barbershop floor sweepings and Chinese nail salon offcuts

>eating more meat and increasing your risk of cancer just to spite some random nobody on the internet
Boy you sure showed him!

>whats a b12

Also animals taste better than plants.

Yeah, i have a hard time thinking of cows as anything but giant walking veggies.
I mean, what do they have going on that they need to live for?

>fully raw
I'm fine with regular veganism, but you'd have to kill me to eat only raw foods.

And what makes you think that only vegans consume tropical plant oils? Palm oil is in practically every processed food known to man.

>grains and pulses
???

>humans havent been eating meat for tens and thous...

If your diet requires supplements that's a good sign mother nature didn't intend your species to survive off of your diet, and people with mutations which would prevent them from surviving healthily in the absence of modern medicine don't refute this.

>he thinks the meat from the grocery store has B12 from "mother nature"
>being this ignorant about how modern agriculture works