Is there even one faggot in here, that has ever worked and payed their rent, in a professional capacity as a line cook...

Is there even one faggot in here, that has ever worked and payed their rent, in a professional capacity as a line cook? Or even had their own apartment, and had to produce something to eat, that didn't have "microwave 2 minutes" written on the side of the box?

Fuck off, professional cooks thread general. If you don't know how to make a bechamel or a roux, then get the fuck out. This isn't for you.

>he thinks making roux is some secret high level technique

>you have to be a professional to make bechamel or a roux

>only people who cook for money know how to make bechamel and roux

Are you that guy from the knife thread who blew $50k on CIA tuition to be taught how to wash your hands after you poo?

Never make your hobby your job

>payed

>professional cooks thread general. If you don't know how to make a bechamel or a roux, then get the fuck out.

Bait thread.

Are pastry chefs/bakers allowed? I transitioned from dishwasher to line cook at 16 and did it for a couple years. But I switched to the pastry department as soon as I could

OP samefagging. One time I was in an argument with this other dude I was cooking in a bar with, about the right way to make alfredo sauce. Our KM comes in and she says to me, "you couldn't make a good alfredo, because you always make the roux too thick!"

I ask, "what the fuck does roux have to do with alfredo?"

She says, "well, when you make alfredo in bulk, you make it like a roux."

Motherfucker, I've worked the Friday and Saturday night saute spots in a high-volume, busy Italian restaurant. We had hundreds of tables per night, you fucking moron! There was never a time when my boss told, "you should mix flour and fat, and make the sauce ahead of time!"

Nope. Alfredo sauce takes 5-10 minutes to make. Butter, cream, Romano cheese, maybe some nutmeg if you want to fancy it up.

lol Nope. I use whatever knife I'm given, and let the kitchen pay for sharpening. I'm very low-end like that.

And all the "Do Americans really do ____" threads aren't?

>Romano instead of Parmesan

Sounds like you don't know shit about Alfredo.

Now I know you're trying to troll and shitpost. Roman cheese for a Roman sauce.

There's plenty of room for shitposting on this dedicated shitposting board.

Yes, I've got nothing against pastry/ bakers. That shit is a pain in the ass. You have to show up at 4:30 in the morning, or some ridiculous bullshit like that. If you can show up at a such a stupid fucking time, and get your work done, you can talk shit with all the other cooks.

I can make bechamel, but not roux.

You're a monster faggot then. I bet you wear the baggy chef pants with no boxer shorts. You're the guy we used to make fun of, and squirt squeeze bottles of olive oil down his ass crack.

You're trying way too hard.

Another time, I worked in a deli for a Jewish dude that owned it. He insisted that the correct way to make a Reuben sandwich, was with Russian dressing, not Thousand Island. A Rachel was the same thing, but with turkey, instead of corned beef.

Trying top hard to push people talking about cooking?

>Alfredo sauce takes 5-10 minutes to make. Butter, cream, Romano cheese,
in reality it's 3-4 minutes tops. the first full service place I was able to work saute, we used a parm/romano blend. and it was great.

Oddly enough the only restaurant I worked in that didn't make it to order (hell it was bagged "sarah lee" shit) was the "fanciest" place I worked. but to their credit, guest were not coming for alfredo, they were coming for some of the 8 daily features, and they were constantly changing, at least 3 new ones every night. that's were I learned to make beurre blanc daily and I was asked to come up with risotto specials. that kitchen ran so well, yet was the only one where lines of coke were offered in the employee bathroom (I didn't partake, those days were past me), and every night we would make a bowl out of a potato or apple and toke at the dumpster. and the strangest reason for me leaving a restaurant, the chef called me in to work his lunch shift, he had some stripper from the night before waiting at his apartment and he wanted to get back to it. owner found out and canned him. I followed him to the next place he went. which didn't go well, with in a week he was fucking the owners daughter and canned two weeks after starting. then I was looked down on because "I took someones spot on the line". hours got cut a few weeks later and the new chef hired three mexicans. so I left.
I hate restaurants!! but I love cooking
and yeah I know my blog sucks

>Tfw no one else blasts techno

Well he does work in a restaurant

He spelled 'paid' wrong ffs

Professional cooks eat like total shit most of the time.
t. former cook who hung out with a bunch of other cooks

I can make roux, but not bechamel.

I can make bechamel but not roux

Yes, though I never had to make a Bechamel or a roux. I worked as a short order cooking eggs and other such things in a hotel, using pots and pans and a gas burner range. Sandwhiches were pre-assembled and then toasted in a turbochef convection oven, but things scrambled eggs, over easy, fritatta etc were cooked to order. I did take it on myself to start making ghee/browned butter to make fast and hot cooking easier, as we usually just melted a block on a warmer and then spooned out the resulting melted butter as pan lubricant, but the solids kept burning and getting in my way

>He insisted that the correct way to make a Reuben sandwich, was with Russian dressing, not Thousand Island
but that IS correct

>Chef got canned for fucking a stripper
>I followed him

Fucking why would you follow a loser, you stupid loser?

>If you don't know how to make a bechamel or a roux, then get the fuck out.
mcdonald's "chef"?

Hence my post implying he was a dumb fuck who is reduced to working in the food service industry

>implying being a retard with other retards isn't the single most fun aspect of working in kitchens

If there's a radio in your kitchen that isn't playing punk or some weird version of Mexican music, son, you're not in a kitchen where you learn anything. All the best cooks in America, are Mexican, or else they're assholes. If you can cook professionally in America, you will learn how to speak either a) Spanish or b) asshole. The Canadians get by with English and French.

I hate to shatter your illusions about how awesome it is being a cook, but no. Expect a bunch of bullshit, and people lying to you at every turn. Expect a guy named "Juan" to teach you how to chop, slice, and dice vegetables, and make soup, and prep cook, and talk about getting some chick to tongue his butthole, or how he tongued some chick's butthole while he's teaching you.

All this time, you're getting payed to learn, faggot. The second you step into the big leagues, you won't have "Juan" to help you. Once you're on the line, son, then it gets rough.

Not rough, like here, like we call each other faggots. It gets real as shit when a guy that's better than you is expecting you to do it right the first time, and is looking you in the eyes and physically ready to beat the ever-living piss out of you, for failing or messing up a dish once.

That's why professional cooks know what the deal is, and why they laugh at servers having a hard day ("I didn't get tipped on a six-top!"), or the few fitfag hobbyists that come asking about the tastiest almond-milk whatever the shit they want to know about.

>I want to greentext this, but you don't have a valid point relevant to the conversation.
>Sandwiches were preassembled
That's the limit of your professional experience, then? Then, you should could back home child, and have your mom make you a tuna fish sandwich, and shut the fuck up when people that have earned a living at this are talking.

Fuck off and play video games or something. Don't act like you have anything valid to say on this topic.

This. Get a good job and make food for enjoyment, even then going into management/economics serves you more than doing cooking school when you can just apprentice and get paid for it in whatever kitchen and then just trial and error for a while until you come up with a good prix fixe that you can sell to rich people and pair with expensive wine.

Someone's been reading Kitchen Confidential
Don't worry, I had that phase too.

I have, but no. I've put that behind me. This is why I only cook for myself and girlfriends, and am so happy I will never work as a line cook again!

no mames, guey

If people spent even a day on economics, the last thing they would do is open a restaurant.

The way to go is buying all the shit from all the restaurants that close every day, and re-sell it to the next idiot that doesn't grasp how money and investment, and risk works, and thinks they'll beat the odds somehow.

Then buy it back from them.

OP, I'm sorry, but you've been Chopped.

but... what