/BEER GENERAL/ "Black & Tan" Edition

List what new things you've tried the past week and how you liked them.

>Founders CBS
10.5/10 I felt like I was drinking liquid winter season while santas step-daughter home from elf college was blowing me
>Founders Breakfast Stout
9.4/10 I thought it was missing a particular flavor that stuck out or gripped you but still an absolutely fantastic beer. I guess they saved CBS to fill that extra criteria.
>Dales pale Ale
8/10 I've never been into hops in general but this pale ale changed that. I'll probably buy this again.

I'm drinking the Breakfast Stout right now, it's definitely great but how is this world class? It's hyped up to be a 10/10 beer and to me it's more like an 8/10.

I'll try the KBS and CBS too if I can get my hands on them.

Good taste OP.
>Founders CBS
I've yet to try CBS, sp I'm jelous. I love me some KBS, though I felt it wasn't as good this year (maybe I'm crazy).
>Founders Breakfast Stout
Yep. A fantastic beer. It's a gold standard stout others should try to meet.
>Dales pale Ale
Oskar Blues is great in general. I strongly recommendation their Ten Fidy stout too.

I splurged this weekend and drank and ate too much. Here's what I had though.
>Weyerbacher Sunday Mole Stout
A bit of a let down, honestly. It's not as good as their Sunday Morning Stout, and Evil Twin and Prairie do spiced stouts better.
>LongTrail Unearthed
A good surprise. Not the best BBA beer ever, but much better than I expected from Long Trail.
>Ommegang Three Philosophers
A solid quad. I like Rochefort, Bernardus, and Boulevard Sixth Glass more though.
>Allagash Tripel
A great beer. Can't say anything bad about it.
>Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stour
I love this stuff. A really consistent and good 10% RIS that I can get a 6-pack of for like $10.
>Kentucky Old Fashioned Barrel Ale
This was different. Worth trying but not worth getting again. I love a good Old Fashioned, and could taste one here, but it was a novelty.

How much different is KBS from Breakfast Stout?

Is a stour a sour stout?

And I've had Allagash White, I love Witbiers but that one tasted off as fuck to me, which is weird because it's so highly regarded. It tasted like feet but not in a good way.

What is the second worst beer style behind IPA?

Some beer I've had recently that I'll comment on

>O'Haras Irish Red
Good beer, didn't blow my mind but it had a nice subtle chewy malt taste that I enjoyed
>O'Hara's Stout
Really good stout, would get again. Very flavorful yet sessionable.
>Founder's All Day IPA
Really good IPA, I'm not a huge fan of the massive sticky palate bomb IPAs but I do love some good hop flavor, so I enjoy this a lot.
>Founder's Breakfast Stout
Really good stout with a lot of good flavor, however not the 10/10 that the beer hypebeasts make it out to be
More drinkable than I thought. I'm drinking it literally right now, I think it's better cold than room temperature or else it's too boozy
>New Belgium Fat Tire Belgian White
Really good witbier! Nice crisp citrus flavor, very well rounded
>Sierra Nevada Octoberfest
Good octoberfest, I'm not a huge fan of this style though so it didn't blow me away. But not bad by any means, I could knock down 8 of them.

your mom's pee

You are certainly correct that IPA is worse than my mother's pee.

Do you like APAs?

Sorry for potato photo.
This was way more carbonated than I was expecting. My first Brett, and somewhat surprising. I had expected something rougher and more odorous since it was described as evoking horses. The brettanomyces hits the hardest in the aftertaste, but overall it is far less bitter than I expected.

what is this beer style like?

>hoppy beer in general

You can't handle the adult flavors? Just stick to Bud Light I guess

World class in the ring of widely available beers my friend. No doubt some hick in kentucky makes some heroin in a glass with no label but my ass and many others might never taste it.
Thanks for the contribution. I see a few I've been wanting to try. KBS I still have to try. I hope it'll be there next time I run by the store.
pls no. >>/pol/ 's that way. For real though, I get why some people don't like IPAs. ITS THE HOPS. I wasn't a hops person at all but the more I drink, the more my tastebuds grow to like hops. Plus hops are breddy glose to cannibis dude. Drink what's healthy for you

Founders BS I think the same as you. I''s probably too nice with my review but it's still good.
>Fat Tire Belgium White
people bitch about how they don't like it but it's fifty fifty. Definetly a difference in tastes I'd imagine. I'm gonna try it; see who the fuck is right.

I would guess the style as a whole has the strong, I guess you could call it rustic, taste. This one was a little spicy, and smelled fruity, but in subtle ways, not as much as I had hoped. It was also quite dry, but I assume that has to do with this particular brew. Someone else might be able to say more than me.

I picked up a St archer IPA once at the store and it was literally almost undrinkable. Like liquid fur tree or some shit. I think alot of breweries miss the mark with IPAs or just hops in general you know? Anyways, I'll have to look for Terreux company and see for myself.

I always speak in terms of widely available beers. I've had widely available beers that I found better than Breakfast Stout. Completely different styles, though.

And yeah I recommend trying a bottle of the Fat Tire Belgian White, it might not be ridiculously good but I found it very enjoyable. Flavorful, yet sessionable.

Stouts? Count me in. Porters? Great. Sours? Wonderful. Ron Jeremy's bitter taint sweat, a.k.a. too much hops? Vomit.

What is the style called anyway?
Sours are way more of a meme style than a balanced IPA. Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA is delicious and easy drinking, sours taste like vinegar to me.

Brett, or Brettanomyces, after the yeast.

that sounds like a meme style

Between sour and bitter, guess which flavor humans evolved to generally dislike because it is the flavor of most toxins? Protip: it's not sour. Hoppy beers literally taste toxic and a big part of their popularity is insecure people trying to appear mature/masculine, as is demonstrated by

It goes fairly far back. I also don't think it's popular enough to be a meme. Definitely a nice change of pace though.

soyboy

Thanks for proving my point.

IPAs aren't necessarily super bitter, the good ones are "bittersweet" with a nice balance of flavors

Do any qt Latinas like craft beer?

nah brah latinas got the weed genes. If they say they do they're lying or playing a part

Do you guys like Brooklyn beers?

>5 posters. 31 replies

what are weed genes?

Not him but from my experiences KBS is basically regular Breakfast Stout but with that strong "booze" flavor and mouthfeel you get with Barrel Aged stouts.

but holy shit did I love CBS, the smoothest of all the BA Stouts I've ever had.

So does that make KBS somewhat of a meme?

>no central water
Bad tastes baka

Is that why people like dark chocolate and coffee as well? Gin? Certain teas? Grapefruit?

I'm not a fan of their White to be honest - I've had very inconsistent experiences with it. Wits don't seem to be popular in the States in general.
I wouldn't call KBS a meme per se, but it's definitely in the overhyped spectrum. It's a very solid BBA stout, but there are others that are better, like Bourbon County Stout.
I love Central Waters tho. Their I've had their BBA stout and barleywine, and Cassian Sunset. Been thinking about trying Satin Solitude.
Brooklyn is a very solid brewery.

>Black and Tan

They've been smoking reefer since Confucius dropped his album

New things I've had recently:
>Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break
Pretty damn good, glad my local shop finally got some Evil Twin.
>Odell Isolation Ale
Meh. Tastes boozier than it is
>Summit Westie 7th
So fucking good, disappointed this is a one-off brew from Summit
>Alaskan Smoked Porter
I can imagine this being really great with aging but as it stands it just tasted like a campfire. Good with food at least.
>Blacklist Spruce-Tipped Imperial IPA
I'm gonna be honest with you, I bought this just to clear out my sinuses and it fucking worked

Is Fat Tire White just a wit version of Fat Tire or a new brew entirely?

It's what a lot of breweries mean when they say "wild ale" as well. It's not really a meme because they're hardly common beers.

Continuing off my last post, what are some great no-gimmicks stouts? Not overly chocolate-y or coffee-flavored or aged or whatever, just nice and roasty. Think pic related (Castle Danger's George Hunter) or Badger Hill's Foundation, if you've had those

Porters and schwarzbiers also encouraged

any canadian friends had Andersons, or seen it for sale?
brewery is right down the street from me but it looks like they're starting to sell across the country now

their cream and summer ales are unholy. they have an 11% IPA they don't sell by the can (as far as i know) that just tastes like candy, never had an IPA like it from anywhere else (in the sense it doesn't taste like pee)

Finnegans dead Irish poet is pretty good. Summits great northern porter and winter ale are both solid as well. Edmund Fitzgerald porter from great lakes

Big fan of Summit's stuff, yeah. I'm bummed they're discontinuing winter ale after this year. I've seen Edmund Fitz around a bunch but never tried it, I'll make sure I pick some up

What the fuck why? Their winter ale rules. I wish they'd can or bottle their oatmeal stout though. That shit is great.

At least for next year, they're making a vanilla version of Great Northern as their winter seasonal. IIRC they're also ditching Summer Ale and changing a bunch of the year-rounds

I'm just back from Belgium.

God I hope you're European and didn't have to ship all that overseas

props if you did tho

referring to

Huh. Weird. I hope they at least keep pumping out their keller pils. I'm still buying it into winter.
Oh insights London porter or whatever is pretty alright too, and bent paddles regular black ale is just as great as their cold press version

Huddersfield, UK. So the drive + ferry is a weekend job.

Gotta do what I can before Brexit fucks it up.

Keller is becoming a year round! Here, I found their 2018 release calendar for reference. Lots of good shit. Will check out Insight, the only beer I've had from them was disappointing so I've been wary. Bent Paddle is good but overpriced most of the time--I just get a growler whenever I'm in Duluth because it's a bit cheaper.

Been dreaming of trying this one after the first summer of drinking other that macro lagers, finally got some, two weeks old today!

Not the best beer i have had but one of the better double IPAs for sure!

Whatd you have from them? Their ne style ipas are great and I really liked their gin and tonic ale this last summer. Sunken city is also a really solid saison. I've been trying to get my hands on a gravity well, but I hate going into the cities

I just tried CBS and KBS. I didn't like the CBS at all really; way too much chocolatey coffee flavor. I liked KBS quite a bit better

>he went to Belgium and didn't bring back a case of Westvleteren 12

I had Sunken City, it really rubbed me the wrong way. It was also one of the first saisons I'd had, so I might be able to come back to it now. I'm definitely interested in the NEIPA and the coffee blonde ale, and I guess I'll have to check out the london porter too.

Can buy this in Leeds.

Black Irish Tan Car Bomb Velvet

Irish person here - your drink is bad and you should feel bad.

What would y'all say the best "tan" beer is for a black and tan?

Stop bitching, you shouldn't have given up, faggot.

Stopped by the local Total Wine and More and got some Franconia Baltic Porter and Odell's Black IPA.

Fuck Mondays.

Stopped by Torchy's Tacos and saw they mostly had meme IPAs and bottled piss so I got $4 frozen margarita to go with my food.
Fuck Mondays too.

In Boston for the week. Trying a lot of local beer. Trillium is pretty good but probably not quite worth the hype and price. Was most impressed with Hobo King, reasonably priced and great tasting. other stuff is mostly fine but nothing standing out particularly, it is crazy what a high percent of available local beer is IPAs

Anyone have any suggestions of stuff I should definitely try before I leave

Also, is it worth driving out to Tree House one evening this week? They get a ton of hype but traffic here is shit

IMO Trillium is actually better than Tree House so if you thought it was good I'd suggest just waiting for them to put something new on tap/in cans later in the week. Double dry hopped Fort Point is the best beer I've ever had

i got some of these the other day
got the regular stout and the coffee stout. havent opened them yet, waiting for my buds to come over so they can try it too

>Double dry hopped Fort Point
Literally drank one 45 minutes ago. I did like it, drinking a Heavy Mettle right now

>tfw want to buy Northwoods stout just because I like the idea of the northwoods having grown up in the upper midwest

Fucking Anheuser Bush and their expert marketers

I ran into the Stout the other day and picked that one up. When i went back they had the Barleywine but decided to pass on it.

Barleywines have been hit and miss with me. I thought Anchor's Old Foghorn was a good one for a beginner. The next one I had was Lower De Boom from 21st Amendment and was turned off by that one.

I found out that my local beer distributor has pretty much all the founder's varieties available besides the hard to get ones like KBS, which ones should I try? I already had the All Day IPA which I like a lot.

do they even make this beer any more?
i used to drink this shit all the time but i cant find it anymore

they do a really nice porter

>hop nation the punch (mango gose)
tasted a bit too much like a mango smoothie rather than a beer. would go down nice on a really hot day though.
>black brewing saison
very nice solid saison, no complaints here
>lindemans cuvee rene
loved it
>la sirene farmhouse red
alright. flemish reds aren't my favourite style so this is probably my least fave la sirene beer.

All of them. They don't really have a bad beer, apart from a few special releases. Backwoods bastard is gross.

Is it just smoked or with spruce tips or some shit?

>do they even make this beer any more?
No, it was a one time very limited release

>i used to drink this shit all the time
No, you didn't

They literally just released a batch all over the Midwest last week. A bar down the road is tapping a keg tonight.

what beer are you guys even talking about

CBS I assumed

I wanna break it down for all the children in this thread.

The tier list goes like this

>God Tier:
IPA, Stout

>Top Tier:
Sour, Oktober Fest beers,

>Mid Tier:
Porters, Pilsners (I mean good pilsners too, not that miller meme shit), Imports like Sapporo (idk the actualy classification for it sorry)

Low/Shit Tier: Any domestic

There will be no further questions.

They should make a Soy Ale and name it after you

You do realize imports like Sapporo/Asahi/Heineken/Stella taste just as shitty as American adjunct lagers, right? also

>no Belgian styles to be seen
Weak

>sours
thread ruined
thanks a lot user

Yeah, the first time since its original release in 09

I think some imports test way better than most american domestics

Also nah you right I forgot belgian styled anything here, Def in the top tier.

The bar has done a keg tapping of the stuff for the last like, 5 years. Founders just never had a really wide release of bottles.

my bad didnt include the pic last night
this is the beer i was talking about

That can art is sick

Founders is my go to for anything. Their Imperial Stout is off the fucking rails and i cant seem to find it anywhere

I want try their Dirty Bastard reaaal bad. Hit or miss at my place.

I was gonna try Dirty Bastard but my store jacked up the price without any warning. Gotta find it somewhere else

Euro and Mex pale lagers are at least a little better than Budweiser

Are scotch ales memes?

Saying "I like scotch ales" is just a nice way of saying "I like barleywine but I don't want to age it"

Sure
You're dumb

I can never get enough of Dry Docks Apricot Blonde. Easily my favorite beer. Sour version is also really good.

very very slightly
Like 1/10 vs 1.1/10