My mom says that too much Potassium is bad for you. What is Veeky Forums's take on the issue?

My mom says that too much Potassium is bad for you. What is Veeky Forums's take on the issue?

I'm worried more about the radioactivity of those banans

It is, but it's not something you need to worry about just eating whole plant foods. 90% of estadounidenses have sub-optimal potassium intake.

Only a small amount of potassium in bananas is potassium-40, so the average banana is only giving you a tiny dose like 2 microsieverts and you just piss and sweat out potassium and sodium anyway. You are most likely more radioactive than a banana.

Your mom is bananas.

>eat 4 bananiels in 2 minutes
>die

sopa de macaco

>bananiels
tell me more

It's not an issue if you're getting it from foods rather than eating a bunch of supplement pills, especially if your kidneys are healthy.

Too much of any vitamin or mineral will absolutely be bad for you. Some are more or less harmless though. You'd have to consume more than you likely would be able to for any of them to be an issue. Unless you're taking vitamin pills, in which case don't be a retard.

Sure, if you like terrible leg cramps

Yeah thats true

Only if you're on spiro

There was some vegan guy who ate 30 bananas a day and all it did was make him fat. If you have normal kidney function it's practically impossible to overdose on potassium by eating food.

Daily recommended intake for potassium is 4700 mg. 1 banana has 422 mg of potassium. It would require 11 bananas a day only to hit the minimum recommended intake.

Too much of anything is bad for you by definition, tardlet.

Too much potassium? I highly doubt you are getting too much unless you are also on/following a low-sodium diet.

However, here at Least you can’t buy supplements for more than 3% RDA because too much in potassium salt/supplement form at once could stop your heart. In food from it’s ok.

tell me that's from an actual svu script

Bananas are good but I wish they came in a more family friendly shape

Only if it's from supplements (including added potassium like v8 low sodium)

Literally doesn't matter unless you have serious renal failure.

Source: I'm a doctor.

>not posting “t. doctor”
This guy isn’t a doctor

The potassium/sodium ratio is something you should be more concerned about.

upvoted

Too much potassium can cause heart attacks by disrupting heart rhythm, but this only happens when you're on a ton of shit meds and your doctors don't know what they're doing.

The only thing you have to worry about overdosing from bananas is sugar.

Have you seen what happens when you mix potassium and water? It fucking explodes. Eating a banana is like swallowing a live grenade, good thing your mom warned you before you did something foolish.

I had a banana KitKat today.

It was pretty good. I haven't had a real banana in at least a year, I should buy some soon.

Are they selling those all over japan? I want one.

I haven't seen them in stores in Shizuoka, I assume this was a souvenir from a coworkers trip but I don't know. It was just on my desk.

I can tell you I see Strawberry Cheesecake, Wasabi, and Sake flavors in Shizuoka at omiyage shops though. I want to try wasabi for sure.