ITT: Books that you're pretty sure only you have read

So you think they just published without reading it and every one of their sales went to a person who didn't read it and not even the person who wrote it read it? Damn dude.

I doubt anyone else has ever read this, it's very obscure

At least post something out of print, lameass pleb.

Perhaps others have read it, but no one else has understood it.

Infinite Jest

>NYRB Classics
>obscure
It's like Pitchfork's Best New Music at this point.

got this at a lesbian store that only stocked small press stuff back in the 90's. The material has probably been collected elsewhere at this point, but I doubt that more than 100 or so of these were made.

poopy doopy

No translations

On this board at least.

the fact that this has been out of print for 20 years might clinch it

luckily I managed to get a 1987 Faber & Faber double binding of it and Carroll's excellent rimbaudian poetry collection Book of Nods(out of print for 30 years)

It's so obvious that nobody here has even tried to read this. Mcelroy and Vollmann are the two writers I am sure nobody here reads, based on how laughable all the """criticism""" is.

i got memed into buying a mcelroy never read it tho lol

How is this? Picked it up 1-2 weeks ago because the synopsis seemed super cool; I got the impression he was actually losing his mind while writing about his mind. Obv haven't read it yet.

Uh, that's not out of print. It's 11 on Amazon new right now. Everyone read that.

TFW you've read all of Vollmann's books including the full version of RURD and people seem to have just stopped reading him in 2000 because he has too many long books and they are pussies

I find it funny that this board loves to call people brainlets, but most of the people here will readily admit to avoiding long/difficult novels.

it was last printed in 1997. all the copies available online are second hand

you can buy pages from incunabula online that doesn't mean they aren't out of print

Haven't read this book, but if you're into the prospect of an author descending into madness as they analyze their own psyche, you should read Jung's Red Book.

Ha, I know Nick Zedd! He's a fucking asshole piece of shit. I haven't read that, but I've seen most of his shitty movies.

Leonardo di Caprio starred in the film adaptation. Everyone in Gen X read it.

As far as "only one on Veeky Forums" books go, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who's read this. I doubt Veeky Forums even knows about Richard Ford. Incidentally, this book annoyed the shit out of me. I finished it, and by the end of it I wanted to kick Frank Bascombe's ass.

I started it but I dropped it after 70 pages or so. I can't read anything written after WWII, it's all shit.

I will once my order stops getting delayed

just accept that they're just really run of the mill maximalist american postmodernism and really not that special lol

I tried to turn my other schizophrenic freinds on to Blake Butler because I'm pretty sure he is too, but no dice so far.

I tried reading that but it was too spooky for me.

i read women and men, fight me (or actually can we just talk about how fucking patrician it is)

100% sure, desu

I've never met anyone else that read this. Really good. Pretty sure it's been out of print for a while.

Does it help understand Therion lyrics?

it's crazytown how people just pretend this nigger never existed

Incroyablement sous-évalué.

bro holy shit i have a copy of that

If anyone was wondering what I meant, please see post linked above. Thank you.

So fucking good. I was worried it was just a meme, but it is probably my second favorite novel behind only Gravity's Rainbow. I still pick it up on occasion and read the rent chapter and the last BREATHER again.

I read that
In Hungarian

>I can't read anything written after WWII, it's all shit.
Very pathetic.

simplicius simplicissimus

paperback ---> in stock

are you just poorly trolling or do you really believe something that is still in print is out of print because the last printing on it was twenty years ago?

Very hard to come by, got it thru ILL. It is amazingly funny.

Caris Davis, STEALTH (both the black and the white edition)

I tried to find this after reading Camus' essay on the guillotine. Apparently they were written as a pair.

It dragged on for a bit but did create a real nice feeling of tension imo.

my lovely parents visited the City Lights bookstore in San Francisco and knowing I like literature got me this book by one of the more forgotten about beatniks

it was ok

The Book of Documents.
I only got through a third of the book but i'd be extremely surprised if anyone on Veeky Forums has read it since it's so esoteric.

i dont think it has an english translation

My diary desu

>paperback ---> in stock

out-of-print means that every copy of the last print run has been sold off by the publisher

the literal last impression of Basketball Diaries was 1998 and it now only exists in used and remaindered form from second-hand bookshops(who all list on amazon because IT'S 2017)

i.e out of print

The author deserved more praise

He did nothing wrong!

Please tell me where you found the complete RURD. I've read 1-4 of the Seven Dreams series, Europe Central and You Bright and Risen Angels.

>lit doesn't know richard ford

Why do you underestimate us so badly?

my diary 2bh

Villiers was god-tier Patrician, by birth, by nature, and in his writings.
Pic related: Protagonist about to kill himself declares: "Live? Our servants will do that for us!"

Not to say that it's some amazing hidden gem or anything.

Just my grandma gave it to me when I was in middle school and for whatever reason I still remember it, so I guess it must have had some impact.

???

Probably one of the thousand most-read books in history.

Got this at a church sale. Never met anyone else who has.

a couple years ago I came on here asking for other authors like Richard Yates and Raymond Carver and The Sportswriter was one of the recommendations. I liked it

I just finished this book and I'm pretty ambivalent. A lot of the book seemed like it might have made better sense in Japanese (better 'aesthetic' sense, I bet it's still a little nonsense), so I was pretty underwhelmed.

But it's still a really charming book and I recommend it to anyone.

most obscure book i have is probably edinburgh shorts. not that its rare or anything i just can't imagine many people picking it up unless they went there as a tourist and wanted a literary souvenir. i've never read it and i probably never will.

what a horrible cover.

is it true that this book is basically just kinski making up stories about him having sex with a bunch of women? if so that sounds great.

It's been on my to read list for a while, there doesn't seem to be a ebook of this...

>what a horrible cover

You're not wrong, but the effect is a little bit better in the actual hardcover, where the dust jacket is the girl and the pattern, but the hardcover is just a grid of letters with 'Sayonara, Gangsters' where the holes in the dust jacket appear.

But what just kills me is that the holes don't actually align with the letters.

>no homo

My favorite actor! Didn't know he had a book, I'm sure it's twisted and brilliant.

I tried listening to them before, it was way too stupid for me, but yes. Their music is definitely inspired by both themes found throughout Crowley and Grant's works. I didn't pay enough attention to the lyrics to note if they actually understood the references on a meaningful level.

There's a rapper named Ab Soul who has a pretty good grasp of at least the basics of Crowley from what I've heard.

I read a short story by him since he was referenced in A Rebours, it was laughably bad. Purple prose of simpering effeminacy. Are the novels any better?

If you haven;t read it in French, don't bother, pleb. His prose is gorgeous, and if you find it purple, more fool you. It drips in irony. That play (Axel) is unplayable, nigh on unreadable, and yet is one of the best things written in the French language.

By far the better writer than either Huysmans or Bloy (both friends of his), who regularly get airtime on here for some odd reason.

This one's a stretch because it's a post-modern 'classic' or whatever, but I've never seen a lot of talk about it here (although I haven't been on since like 2012) and I can't find a lot of secondary literature or anything.

Put John Barth pretty squarely among my favorite authors even though it is a flawed book that a lot might find just find outright bad. The humor in this book is either very crass or very tortured and contrived, and you have to enjoy being up the author's ass to like it.

The Sot-Weed Factor is great and by all means a better book, but Giles Goat-Boy just jibes really well with me.

Just me and Morrissey

I read 300 pages and was the first one to meme it. I memed it before I even opened it, then I checked it out of my uni library and read it for a while. I liked it for a while but it was unrelenting. My final opinion was to stop a quarter way through since I wasn't getting much out of it. It was overwrought, the kind of dense book that you either have to be the author of, or spend a month annotating, to really get much value from. It's probably not worth the time unless you're a professor of late modernist literature (it's not pomo at all)

I read Giles Goat Boy on my psychologist's recommendation when I was a teenager. It was bad, couldn't finish.

any gut?

Lots of people here have read that. Though not me lol, I got a decent way through and had to stop reading because of environmental factors (moving locations, schoolwork, etc.)

I thought the book was very dated, in the sense that the kind of cold-war-era irony it had was a bit less relevant today. I hear most of his works are like that. Except lost in the funhouse, which I love to death and think is probably the best postmodern answer to Dubliners.

The irony was ridiculously overwrought, the French have a terrible sense of humor when they try to be funny. Jerry Lewis Syndrome.

Amazing title for a gift from a grandma.

how is it? that's been on my to-read list for a while

The title comes from the main character seeing something on the news and putting his fingers to his head and 'killing' himself.

And my grandma tried to start me off on some pretty heavy reading. When she gave me that, she also gave me Light in August and "Go Down, Moses"

It really does get easier once you get used to the style(s), and it starts coming together really well about halfway through. It's worth it. At least it was for me. I didn't really annotate it, but I did take some notes. One of the best reading experiences in my life. Give it another shot.

The both of them are in a book called Réflexions sur la peine capitale, you can find it on Amazon

that reminds of a book I once had which included some short stories and excerpts on same, one story by Villiers, another on the execution of Troppmann, and some other descriptions of the guillotine and its functioning. The plain people of Paris loved the spectacle, apparently..

amazing faggotry

You underestimate how much schlock I read as a teenager. Pic related

I remember when Zapffe's Messiah was big on lit, I'm sure quite a few german anons checked his works

I managed to get a copy from my uni library. Amazing book. Would recommend to anyone who likes Straub-Huillet.

>all i need is love
>molested his daughters
the absolute madman

tons of untranslated jap books manga visual novels

Just curious