So a friend recently brought me this thing from nipland. According to the manual you can also steam vegetables with it

So a friend recently brought me this thing from nipland. According to the manual you can also steam vegetables with it.

So I'm wondering what veggies would go well with rice or if anyone has some neat rice hot pot recipes?

Azn here, yes you *can* use those for stuff other than rice but you really shouldn't bother. You have to keep in mind all of the programmed functions are based on stuff that takes a while to cook. Steaming vegetables is like, a couple of minutes tops. So I hope you enjoy mushy vegetables.

Those other features and inserts are for hikkis living in 100 square foot Tokyo shoeboxes where the rice cooker is the sole object in the apartment that can be used to prepare food of any sort. If you have a stove, reserve the rice cooker for actual rice.

>go well with rice
literally anything
the only thing limiting you is your creativity and tastes

>So I'm wondering what veggies would go well with rice
All of them.
Personally I like to throw a salmon fillet in the basket over the rice, steams perfectly every time.

>creativity
well there you have it, I suck at creativity. I only do absolutly disgusting looking but okayish tasting stuff.

Then get better

That's why I'm asking here.

Then you won't get better. Go to sites like seriouseats, americas test kitchen, and food wishes

Mark Bittman has some books written for gastronomically challenged bachelors, you could try reading those. If reading is too hard, just give up.

>tell me how to be creative
that isn't how that works user

>americas test kitchen

UNADULTERATED STRAWBERRY

I know, but I was just fishing for suggestions and then combine or switch around stuff you know.

Can't I just open it midway and throw the veggies/steaming basket in? I was not expecting to steam the veggies for an hour.

Not letting the steam out is the single most important aspect of cooking rice. Rice cookers have a controlled valve to keep from overcooking the bottom but you should never open the lid until after you hear the chime

yeah I guess, but it's going to have a detrimental effect on the rice since the rice is held at a constant pressure and temperature and so on. opening it and tossing in a heap of cold vegetables is going to throw off the water to rice ratio, the cooking time, and so on

>I was not expecting to steam the veggies for an hour.

It's closer to 40 minutes and the steam doesn't build up until like half way through.

I stick pre-cooked frozen veg in there and it comes out fine. You'll be fine.

>Can't I just open it midway and throw the veggies/steaming basket in?
Its fine. I sometimes throw some broccoli or carrots in the steaming basket of my rice cooker when there is 5-7 minutes left. The veggies and rice both come out fine. You really only need to have the lid open for a few seconds to put the basket in.

>>It's closer to 40 minutes
I dunno, I have some zojirushi model with micom and the standard cycle takes 57 minutes each time - no matter how many cups I throw in.

I've never bothered to time my micom but it's certainly under an hour.

Except the brown rice setting. That bastard takes two, two and a quarter hours.

[spoilersdon'tworkon/ck/]pretty much worth it though[/spoilersdon'tworkon/ck/]

It's about 40 minutes for me on "quick cook" and closer to an hour on standard. And yeah brown rice you'd better set the timer to start before you leave for work, that shit is not going to be done on time if you wait til you get home.
>pretty much worth it though
I kind of prefer the texture of brown rice cooked on the "normal" setting but it's not to everyone's taste

I'm only refering to the time displayed on my cooker, I haven't actually timed it either.

Some veggies take longer to cook than others, also depends how big you cut them. Squash, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots cook pretty well together. Cabbage, kale, chard, potatoes, and yams take a little longer to cook, so i usually steam them for 10 min before adding my softer veggies on top and letting it steam for another 10 min.

I've been eating a lot of steamed veggies lately, and I think the trick is to have some variety in colors and textures so you don't get bored of eating the same thing. You can probably cook beans in your steamer as well, you can leave them whole or blend them up to make a dip.

Your friend is too good for you.