I've been out of college for two months and already want to go back. Do you ever miss college...

I've been out of college for two months and already want to go back. Do you ever miss college? Are you considering grad school/in grad school?

>harvard
Yeah sure OP

I just picked generic college photo, not trying to imply anything

Harvard is literally and predominately retarded Wasps or retarded wealthy hooks. No reason to go to Harvard.

Yes, I am going back as a "pre-med" just so I can spend as much time chillin g in u dergrad courses as people will allow me.

Don't go to grad school.

t. Grad student

The average IQ of a Harvard grad is 137. You're bitter and resentful because you will NEVER have an IQ that can compete with a Harvard man, you will NEVER make six figures immediately upon graduation, and you will NEVER attend what is widely considered to be the greatest university in the history of the planet. You will ALWAYS be a bitter brainlet sneering behind a computer at people who are smarter and more successful than him

I unironically feel sorry for you that you view your fellow man in such a way. How small and hemmed in your life must be, alas.

I wish I got to go in the first place. High school dropout here.

Also, is there a university more comfy than Harvard?

My hatred for college is so intense I cannot put it in words

It's a Veeky Forums board faggot, do it.

Oxford

Excelling in academia doesn't proof you're intelligent. I studied at an elite university and most of my peers were pretty ignorant

I left my college a year ago and I still miss it. Currently attempting to obtain an assistant position so I can get a Ph. D and ultimately became a tenured professor

Lots of other universities. Harvard isn't fun unless you're a super normie.

bump

I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree this spring and I'm going into an aerospace engineering master's degree in the September.

i do. i didn't even have a real 'college experience' either, i lived at home and commuted, and i still miss it, so much better than the working world. lots of free time, low stress, long breaks. it was great.

i imagine a real college experience going in right out of high school, if you're attractive enough to fuck college girls and don't have to work while in school, is literally the best life possible on the planet.

Every day. The real world is absolute shit.

>Do you ever miss college?
Yeah. I miss my school. The teachers, my classmates, having a concrete idea what the immediate future holds, learning new things. But you have to move on. More than that- what you remember is just the good times. That's how nostalgia works. College wasn't that fun. If you were back next week, you'd bitch about getting up early and homework and that bitch teacher.

Next chapter. Move foreward op.

y

I live right near Harvard, just finished up at another Boston school (which is literal dogshit in comparison). The Harvard kids are almost all huge faggots and Harvard square is overpriced and not that cool.

In my country (Brazil) and I suppose most third world countries, universities are practically the only comfy places to ever be in. Most governments tolerate sending tons of taxpayer money to federally funded universities, under some vague guise of promoting scientific and social advances, with no actual interest from the rest of society to actually absorb most of the stuff being done in our unis, because all the rich people are either old farmfags or crook politicians with crook enterprises they have no reason to innovate in. So we pretend to work (or actually try to, but knowing that the people paying for it don't even care), and the federal government pretend we're someday getting closer to the developed countries in matters of academical and social advancement. So we're basically a vanguard spectacle to feed society's yearn for progression while crooks can sit on their asses all day long getting more tax money. I'm getting a PhD and you can bet I'm gonna keep milking this cow because it's literal hell out there with the current political crisis, whereas academy is a bubble and in the end, the local feds always require at least some of us to keep the spectacle of being a "country of the future" going. Of course this might change but it hasn't (at least for STEM which is my field) even during dictatorship.

>getting up early and homework
what faggot ass school did you go to?

one of the oldest fashion and communications school in my whole country. where did you go to school?

Deutsch?

These people are redpilled on Harvard. Some of the dumbest and most insufferable people you'll ever have the chance of meeting. I remember overhearing a group of faggots over breakfast complaining about how they think its prejudiced for the nurses at the health services to suggest an STD test whenever they come for a checkup after they let the nurses know that they are promiscuous and sexually active homosexuals. It's like they want to deny the fucking reality that the homosexual community is full of dangerous STDs because their feelings are more important than their own fucking health. Honestly, let these faggots drop dead in their prime, just when their careers start getting off the ground, when an easily treatable syphilis rears its ugly head because they missed the early symptoms. Only a spoiled, resentful brat would treat conscientious help as discrimination.

all american universities tend to be super comfy tbqh. in the uk the only comfy unis are oxford/cambridge and maybe 1 or 2 others

yeah student loans+debt are super comfy

/livesincambridge/ here. I walk through Harvard yard every day to catch my bus. Even in the summer flooded with tourist. super uncomfy

I hated a lot of things about it while I was there.

It's amazing how an enormous population at even very well regarded schools can be so actively anti-intellectual. Who don't do any assigned readings (or really any reading) and still manage to pass classes and hold good GPAs. Who don't really seem like they want to learn anything from the classes that they themselves signed up for.

It's also insane the hedonism among well-off 18-22 year olds and how many get away with so much drug-wise, etc. It's really no wonder the cartels are doing so well in Mexico.

And the vocal liberal males who literally commit date rape (if not even just regular rape) one minute and then virtue signal the next minute about how terrible rape culture and frat culture and how bad all men are. (I hate frat culture too, but if you're a date rapist and you criticize other guys for date raping, you've got to take a good close look at yourself in the mirror.) I know one of these guys works at the Washington Post now, actually.

The amount of money many big schools spend on sports is also disgusting. And athlete worship is sickening too.

Basically I hated everything apart from a few good classes and a few amazing professors and a close knit group of a few friends.

And I do miss it.

I'm a current sophomore. The only redeeming things about Harvard is 1) the free money they throw at you if you're poor to go; 2) the fact that the sports teams are redpilled on Trump; and 3) that the science departments are fantastic. I honestly partially regret my choice to come here because I feel constantly alienated all the time. Do you have any advice for a schizoid conservative to have a better experience here?

I've never been to Harvard and am not really familiar with the culture there, but my advice would be just to try to forget about politics in the moment and hang out with liberals/leftists and try to have some interesting experiences. You can always complain about them later to conservative friends back home or anonymously on the internet. Even though I went to a state school that did have plenty of moderates and even a small conservative population, I never really hung out with them at all.

But they're such insufferable faggots who cry about Hillary Clinton not winning the election. I can't escape politics no matter how hard I try since it has been injected into every facet of life. Ever been to multiple Facebook group chats that had people chanting "down with the patriarchy"? You most likely have if you've been to Harvard. Most of the people around me are such sloppy, unimaginative, and uneducated thinkers, so talking about any important issue is an exercise in futility. The only person I found interesting was a closet ancap (which I found out because she told me to read a text by Murray Rothbard when we started talking about history of economics) who is otherwise quite intimidating because she is insanely bright and quick-witted. Everybody else who I've encountered is a pleb masquerading as a patrician.

I just don't know what to do at this point because I want to find some way to coexist and have a social outlet but these people are walking contradictions, if not total aliens. But I guess that what it means to be a normie. How do I find more things in common with them?

I had an awesome college experience, it was a blast. Some people sneer at the thought of college being the best years of one's life but so far it was at least the most fun years for me

My recommendations: (1) get a worthwhile degree, minor or comajor in humanities if you must, and only go to grad school if you have a solid plan and are required to have such a degree, and (2) don't be a pothead

Seems obvious, but it's crazy how many people don't do that (including younger me). Anyway I still look back fondly of my days in school

I only took one semester of college before dropping out. College was the worst experience of my life and i have never looked back or thought about going back.

Trust me, I had to deal with that kind of stuff, though luckily I graduated before the election.

95% of the people at my college radio station were like that, but the point is I did college radio because I like music and I like going to shows and I like doing that stuff with people who also like that stuff. You just gotta block out what they say and do and just focus on the stuff you have in common, as lame as that sounds. I'm so used to insults against my beliefs that I hardly notice them. If I'm at a basement show and half the people are trans and the other half are either trying to be trans or trying to fuck the trans people, I just grab another beer and take it all in so I can tell stories about our times to my grandkids.

wow holy shit someone on lit went to college? i thought this was all redpill alt-right keklords who don't "fall for the education meme" etc.

And if you hadn't gone to an elite school, an even greater percentage of them would have been ignorant.

Two years out now. I hated it at the time. I took interesting classes and had professors I respected, but I was constantly stressed, felt alienated from everyone around me, made zero friends, and missed out on all the traditional 'college experiences' as a commuter. However now I miss it every fucking day. To some extent because I wish I could go back and do it all over, actually make an effort to get girls and cultivate close ties with professors and all that, but also because my life feels so utterly empty and directionless now. It turns out stress and frustration beats depression and purposelessness. Maybe this will change once/if I find a real job, but evidently retail doesn't cut it.

I came back to my parents' house for the summer and I'm definitely ready to never live here again

>Do you ever miss college?
Every month when I get a threatening letter demanding money for my student loans.

>He fell for the STEM meme.

STEM is fine but there's no jobs in mechanical engineering, other than a couple defense companies making tanks and warplanes, no one makes any kind of heavy machinery in the united states, if you really feel compelled to stem it up do computer science or maybe chemical engineering

Please out that Washington Post guy. We need some excitement around here.

This is some of the worst advice I've ever seen.

Most people who get into Harvard don't amount to much (on their own merit that is) because they peaked when they were 18 intellectually. The few that rise above the stereotype may go on to be world class bankers or professors or writers or mathematicians but most of them are disappointments held aloft in life by having "harvard" written on their graduation paper.

i dropped out of college two years ago. i miss it but only because it gave me something to do. if i could find decent work or sell a screenplay, i'd never even consider going back.

this is the problem i have with worshipping elite schools, you're basically valuing the person for being an amazing high school student, that's all the getting into an elite school means, now being an amazing high school student is worth something i suppose, but good grief, don't put them on such a pedestal

>40% of your time taken up by studying literature
>40% of your time taken up by working a shitty low-wage job so that you don't starve to death
>20% of your time taken up by studying a practical skill unrelated to literature that will get you a real job when you graduate

is this what hell feels like? only 6 months to graduation and i'm counting down the days

i want to know what leisure time feels like again

What's your plan?

Dying seems like the way to go.

If you're anything like me you'll lose your ability to enjoy leisure time to the degree you once did.

>now being an amazing high school student is worth something i suppose

A somewhat above-average intelligence with extreme drive can achieve a 4.0 unweighted and a 4.4 weighted, probably an over-2000 SAT (if you take enough classes and don't suck at math) which I guess is about 1350+ now under the new system, and some meme extracurriculars like chess club or whatever. That's enough to get into a top state school if you're not chinese, and if you are it's enough for a very good community college.

On a more serious note, high school performance is more a function of parental pressure (and success at applying that pressure) than it is of future success.

Oh well. I've graduated from a good state school with a good GPA now, and I no longer have to give a shit about this teenage angst shit. I'll either succeed or not. Worst case I settle down and have kids and a stable career, best case I've written a very famous set of novels and published poetry in good journals. Either way, eh

>I've been out of college for two months and already want to go back.
absolute madman

There's a Ring of Hellâ„¢ for that

I went to grad school because I missed the academic life, and having a real job is soul crushing misery. But after my PhD, I was forced to get a real job, and now I wish I were dead.

If you miss college you must not be smart enough for college. There is more to be learned outside of it than in.

>On a more serious note, high school performance is more a function of parental pressure

and that is the problem with judging people based on how good they were in high school, once the parental pressure is gone some people lose direction, which is where you get those "elite dropout" types, they got into stanford/yale/whatever but then decided that "school was bullshit" and dropped out etc. yet people still suck the dicks of those guys

i know a dude who got into UC Berkeley because his dad is a diplomat, he's not unintelligent, but he has zero ambition and a really "aww shucks i never get a break" attitude even though he got the break of attending the most elite school in the university of california system, and then did nothing with it

That's some smart advice. I think this is a good time to maybe cultivate good observation and listening skills, maybe even flirt with an edgier sense of humor that might border on satire of liberal beliefs or something to make it more bearable. But you make a good point, and I'll be better off for it. Thanks for hearing me out, I really needed it.

My mom (only parent in my life) didn't do shit and I studied my way to elite schools. Give me a break.

I'm going for a master's, but I absolutely hate school. Hated elementary, hated middle school, hated high school, hated community college, hated state university. Being told what to do is the worst thing in the world.

I used to think that. But now I'm out of school and have no direction and God I just want someone to boss me around.

Welcome to the few that are like that. You are not a common breed in those schools

>God I just want someone to boss me around.

join the army

Graduated university a year ago. Have been living a miserable NEET life since.
Granted I got nothing out of school because I was a sad, socially retarded shut-in. Thought things would improve afterwards but they have not. Might take a worthless one year college degree just to see if I can wring some enjoyment out of it.

I've considered it but I don't wanna get killed to appease some Saudi king or Israeli prime minister. Maybe the coast guard or something.

Maybe that's why I don't get along with anybody. Or maybe I'm a hopeless judgmental autist. kek

you were probably just self-conscious about being poor, should have said fuck it and networked your ass off, that's the real value of elite schools, you get to bond with all the people that will be the future ruling class

>fell for the stem meme
>go to school for mechanical engineering
>get paid 100k one year out of school

I'm not big on crying but if I had to go back to Cornell I'd probably start weeping.

>fell for the STEM meme
>graduated last may
>moved back in with my parents and became a NEET because I had no relevant experience
>unemployed for 10 months
>end up working my same shitty job from college summers making shit pay
>luck into an interview for a position in my field
>get the job
>actually good pay
>start monday
>can't shake anxiety that I don't know anything and will get fired within a month

I just want to go back, lads

stem is not a meme unless you're not interested in your field

if you are interested you will do fine

>student loans
>uk
okay mate

In entry level positions you are not expected to know anything. You will be given increasing responsibility as you show competence.

Also I doubt it was luck that you got an interview and got a job. You showed something that the employer liked.

>mechanical engineering
>no jobs

Nice bait

who do you work for? like i said there are a handful of companies making military gear for the saudi market, but other than that, everything is in china

I went to school for ME. I work in defense, but I had plenty of interviews in manufacturing and construction.

thanks anons :)

What do you do now? I worked a job in the field of my major before I quit after 7 months and now I work a shitty job that doesn't even require a degree.

>food machinery companies
>construction equipment companies
>automotive companies
>heating and cooling/refrigeration companies
>oil companies
>farm/outdoor equipment companies
>recreational equipment companies
All places that I know will hire mechanical engineers, I happen to work for a company that makes meat and food processing equipment. Go to a career fair designed for engineers and you'll see all the companies that hire

Hahaha

I visited my friend there once. As someone who went to a state school a few states down, it was definitely different. But strangely, not as different as I had expected.

Anyway I liked that one food truck with the Malden sandwich? It was good. Also it was gorges there!!!

Why would you want to be redpilled on Trump? The guy is the opposite of anything desirable in an intellectual setting. If the sports team truly admire the guy, they should truly be grateful for sports-based admissions. Harvard has always been a boring, bourgeois club any ways. At least since the early 20th century when good, Christians were pushed out by perverted industrialists seeking social glory.

>At least since the early 20th century when good, Christians were pushed out by perverted industrialists seeking social glory.

it was sad when (((they))) removed the line about "puritan stock" from the harvard theme song or whatever

Elaborate on the pot head part

Dropped out 4 months ago and, aside from the fact that my life is going nowhere because there isn't anywhere for it to go, I've been feeling better than ever.

But I don't want to be elite. I just want to make money and raise a large, wholesome family in a rural area while living a Veeky Forums lifestyle. Perhaps this was a big mistake?

Because I agree with Trump's politics and it's nice to talk about him with somebody who won't try to beat me on the head for it. I don't give a shit about the appearance of an intellectual if it requires me to be a dumbass. I am glad that Trump balanced the Overton window in favor of policies that keep a large nation state stable and undermine a corporation's ability to direct policy. That is lasting good for the sake of the USA.