Can someone point out to me what is so bad about potato chips?

Can someone point out to me what is so bad about potato chips?

The fat? Sure its a little high, but the oils used are ones that one would typically use for normal cooking (sunflower/canola). Even then, you could use these same oils to roast potatoes in the oven with and its no problem there.

The salt? Maybe it could start to add up if you eat a dangerous amount of chips. But since they are potatoes, that also means they have a ton of potassium, which I understand to be something of a counter to high salt intakes.

The carbs? If you are physically active, whether from work or exercise, these are a vital energy source and will be used up as you build up a sweat or strain your muscles.

Of course since they are potatoes, they also have a good amount of vitamins and minerals. Is there something I'm missing here?

Wow really makes you think.....

>lots of oil
>lots of salt
>little potato
The dosage doth make the poison.

>BHT

Butylhydroxytoluene, commonly known as BHT, is frequently used by the food industry to prevent rancidity in packaged baked goods and snacks. This fat-soluble chemical is also used in petroleum products, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics. Eleanor Ross Whitney and Sharon Rady Rolfes explain in their textbook "Understanding Nutrition" that BHT can cause cancer when consumed in high amounts. The amounts of BHT needed to induce cancer would not be ingested under normal circumstances, but if you want to avoid any exposure to cancer-causing chemicals, choose one of the many varieties of chips that are preservative-free.

No fucking clue exactly what these chemicals are but they don’t sound good.

Calorie density.
It's not only potato chips though. Any product containing so little moisture is going to be a calorie bomb.

Vegetable chips, nuts, dried fruit/meat, crackers, pasta, rice, bread, beans, anything made with flour.
These have all been staples of diets for a reason. You get a lot of calories for relatively little food.
This is why potatoes are in my opinion the best "modern" staple. Cheap, tasty, and generally lower calorie than other options.

But its not little potato. The average lay chip bag, the serving is 15-17g of carbs. The oil and salt dont have those. There are also lower salt types, like the sour cream and onion, reduced salt, and the kettle cooked ones and...I'm sure theres more but thats off the top of my head. I know the lemon and barbecue ones are on the higher end

Is it in the bag/packaging material or the chip? Most of the chips have simple ingredients unless you get ones that have more complex flavors

So it comes down to calories then? What if you had a light day, say some oatmeal or plain nonfat greek yogurt for breakfast, then a small dinner with a lot of chips, provided the target is 2000 or under calories?

>he's serious

If it fits your diet and you feel good then it's no problem.
You don't want to be one of those freaks living on 1200kcal a day in the hope that it provides an extra year or two of life do you?

Stop spreading the Cucknadian "canola" garbage, its proper name is RAPESEED oil.
If eaten in moderation there is nothing wrong with potato chips.

depending on your genetics it is either the fat, the salt or the carbs that are bad for you

canola oil is different from natural rapeseed oil

No, don't get me wrong. I'm not worried about losing or gaining weight. I just ask this because all of my life my primary snack has been Lays chips and I've never had weight problems, despite there being a big crusade against chips. Sometimes I can down a whole bag when I'm binging late at night but it's not a common thing.

Really? Interesting, when I can't use or don't want an olivey taste, I default to canola or sunflower. Never had any problems.

Well, salt is bad for everyone. It stresses the veins and heart. You can counter it by sweating through laborious work or exercising, having a lot of water and pissing it out, or the potassium that is naturally present in potatoes.

>salt is bad for everyone

what i meant was some people do well on a high fat low carb diet, for them the carbs are bad. some people do well on a low fat high carb diet, for them the fat is bad. some people won the genetic lottery and can eat as much fat and carbs as they want, but for them the salt is still bad.

I see. In that case, I do have that to be thankful for then. I could down a box of spaghetti which would be probably 250+ carbs, with a breadstick, another 20 or so, and then some oil covered meatballs, bringing the fat up to 30-40 and still feel fine. I guess if I were to have a weakness, it would be sugar. My grandparents, for whatever reason, used to get Martinelli apple ciders during celebrations. So imagine...washing down a big piece of rich chocolate cake or super sweet apple or berry pie with apple cider. Instant headache

>salt is bad for everyone
Salt is essential for human life you complete and utter fucking retard.

I'm well aware. But it's incredibly easy to overshoot on it. Someones milk and cereal could have 400+. Their lunch could be anywhere from 500 to 1500. Dinner, if they don't feel like cooking and just warm up a frozen pizza or can of chili, 2000+ more. Then there's snacks...going crazy on salt has become way to easy and Idoubt the average person has enough water, sweats enough, or eats enough potassium to help offset it.

Potato chips aren’t bad for you.
Eating 10lbs of potato chips daily is bad for you.
No excuses, amerisharts.

muh chemicals

They're pretty much the worst possible thing for your teeth because they get jammed into every nook and cranny

Sunflower oil is often considered universally shit at this point.

>This fat-soluble chemical is also used in petroleum products
So it's used in health products?

>pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.
So is water.

>if you want to avoid any exposure to cancer-causing chemicals
Don't eat anything?

>choose one of the many varieties of chips that are preservative-free.
So no salt then?

>No fucking clue exactly what these chemicals are but they don’t sound good.
Very quick half assed browse on Wikipedia showed it's used to help control free radicals, which are themselves a cause of cell damage and cancer due to being highly reactive.

>but the oils used are ones that one would typically use for normal cooking

WRONG most use soy oil. That's why I don't eat them, except for Tim's chips which are made with love and care for male testicles

Eyyy, look at this backpedaling, lmao. This fucking board...