What are your favorite biographies (or autobiographies)...

What are your favorite biographies (or autobiographies)? I've been reading pic related and I've been so engrossed I have volumes 2 and 3 ready to go.

Other urls found in this thread:

thesealedportion.com/js/index.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Brian Boyd's two-parter on Nabokov.
Schoenbaum's Shakespeare's Lives and Documentary Life.
Edel's five volumes on Henry James.
Nicholl's biography of Leonardo.

my diary desu

Holy fuck what? I was about to begin a thread looking for a Theodore Roosevelt biography!

Is this good? Does it touch on the founding of the national parks because I've been wanting to see what it was like in the oval office when he decided to do that

I've read the first two volumes. It does indeed touch on the founding of the national parks. It particularly notes how TR had a kind of religious reverence for nature, how he seemed to commune with the divine when he was out in the wild.

oooh fuck son thank you I'm buying this shit

OP here, I'd definitely recommend it if you're a TR fan. Enjoy

>~3000 pages
Do I really admire anyone that much?
If someone wrote a 3000 page biography on what will transpire in the rest of my life, I'd still put off reading it for a solid few months.

The thing with Roosevelt is that his life is so incredibly interesting you love reading about it. Of all people in history, his life may most resemble that of a character from a novel.

The difference between your life and Teddy Roosevelt's is that his life was interesting though.

The three volumes are broken up basically as before presidency, during presidency and post-presidency, so if you want you could only read the part that interests you. If you're a pussy afraid of challenge.

I'd rather read 2.5 War and Peace size novels to brag to all my psued friends

"Stalin" by Stephen Kotkin. Well researched. Thorough.

Speak Memory is a bit ambling but comfy and good
Benjamin Franklin's autobiography is excellent and fairly short. You can get through it in a day, so I'd recommend it to anyone interested in American literature

I have a copy of Ben Franklin's autobiography sitting around, good to know it's worth the read. I also have Walter Isaacson's biography of him, it was fairly servicable.

Napoleon the Great by Andrew Roberts
Bismarck: The Man and the Staseman by AJP Taylor

Without Disclosing My True Identity - It helped me understand the thoughts and feelings of someone I used to admire

It answers the question of who pulled the trigger on the gun that killed Joseph Smith and other curiosities which I had

It's free to download here
thesealedportion.com/js/index.htm

Nobody is worthy enough for me to read a (auto)biography of them.

Ron Chernow's Washington: A Life is excellent.

I was going to ask about Chernow. Obviously he's gotten a massive boost in popularity recently thanks to Broadway but it's good to know his stuff is actually good.

Steve Martin's is goat
I liked Sarah silvermans auto bio
Peter the great was great
Jimmy Hendrix too

Smile, Ted!

small minds read about people

medium minds read about events

big minds read about ideas

desu

Care to explain your logic senpai

Caro's LBJ books are top-notch

Thanks! From now on i better exclusively read about ideas,otherwise i would be small minded!

I'm reading Nixonland right now. It's quite good. I'd call it part biography, part examination of the political culture at the time.

Recommended.

Retard

Rob chernows Alexander Hamilton was an interesting one.

Monk's Wittgenstein biography. Wittgenstein himself is much more interesting than his works.

Knowlson's Beckett biography is great, if a bit exhaustive at times.

Grey Eminence, by Aldous Huxley (up on Internet Archive). Fascinating stuff, and well written too.

Anyone know a good Ezra Pound biography? He seems like an interesting fellow.

kurosawa akira's something like an autobiography
based

Ira Nadel wrote a short and decent one.