Never read his works. What should I should I read?

Never read his works. What should I should I read?

Other urls found in this thread:

susans.org/wiki/index.php/Vaginal_dilation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Sun Also Rises
Francis Macomber
Big Two-Hearted River
Hills Like White Elephants
A Clean, Well-Lighted Place
On the Quay at Smyrna

Well you said yourself we should never read his works.

So read anything except him I guess.

Start with The Old Man and the Sea. After that either read A Farewell to Arms or The Sun Also Rises.

A Moveable Feast. Definitely read A Moveable Feast first. This is for several reasons. One is that it is non-fiction, and you'll have a portrait of Paris in the 1920s. Second it's well-written, and it's an intimate reminiscence of Hemingway's youth. Third is that it's not a novel, but a memoir, so you can read it just to have a feel for his style and sensibilities.

I would advise against starting with The Old Man the Sea, and instead, read The Sun Also Rises after reading A Moveable Feast. This is because TOMATS is far into his body of work, and it's best to understand the man before his reading his prose. Not that his prose can't stand by itself.

You don't tell me what I am ought not to read.

''Never read this or that!!''

I guess you meant ''i have never readed''

>Never read his works. What should I should I read?
This is a bad sentence because of its ambiguity. I, like almost everyone else, took "read" to be in the past tense, instead of the imperative. Maybe you should read Hemingway; he might teach you a thing or two about constructing a sentence.

>I guess you meant ''i have never readed''
The past tense of read is read, not "readed". Your thread is bad because if we should not read Hemingway, we could literally cite any other book from any author in history. The ambiguity upon ambiguity is your fault. Read a dictionary or a style manual or go for an English class.

THIS
Read old man first, forced myself through and hated every moment of it.
Read sun also rises and loved every moment of it.
Came back to old man and I still hate it.

This or The Sun Also Rises

baby.. easy on the shoes

quality stuff

I would suggest starting with The Sun Also Rises, or his short story A Clean, Well-lighted Place.
Do NOT read A Farewell to Arms and The Old Man and the sea first.

In fact, just drop A Farewell to Arms altogether. Disappointing.

Do NOT read A Farewell to Arms though.

For whom the bell tolls

The Sun Also Rises
The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway (yes, all of them)
A Farewell to Arms
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Old Man and the Sea

Seconded.

Old Man in the Sea can be read in just a couple hours.

Hemingway vs. Faulkner

Who wins (won)?

Not having the short stories on here... wut???

AND having the heavily-edited, posthumously released Islands in the Stream?

Sub/lit/ infographic.

The pne where the guy loses his arms

No. Just read him chronologically.

>be 20 something reporter and short-story writer living in paris
>go see the running of the bulls with my wife
>decide this is the greatest thing of all time but I don't give a shit about my wife
>go back next year but instead of taking my wife I take some qt english aristocrat I want to fuck, her cuck scottish fiancé, a jew, and this guy I actually like from my home time
>dumb bitch ruins literally everything
>dumb jew ruins literally everything
>after the festival is over I go on a different holiday because the last one is ruined
>have to end that one early too because I have to save dumb english qt when some bullfighter, emphasis on bull, she was fucking left her with no money
>she acts like she loves me when I save her
>rage building inside me
>say nothing because autistic
>next day in the shower realize what I should have said to her
>write bestselling novel pretending that's what I said
This is what happened right?

The Sun Also Rises. Lol though I got to say. I enjoy a glass a red wine every now and then. But good God those people drank a lot!

roughly in order:

a moveable feast, for whom the bell tolls, and some of his short stories are pretty okay i guess. hills like white elephants stands out

In Our Time

Nothing. He is a subpar writer. Read someone else.

But the Old Man is far superior literature to The Sun Also Rises which is really just another novel in a mountain of novels of no notable literary value. If you really enjoy Hemingway's style, OK, but aside from that, I don't see any reason to recommend his longer novels.

Fuck Hemingway. Read Rupi Kaur.

The Sun Also Rises is a landmark of style. It is a very good novel in its own right, though not as tight or focused as The Old Man and The Sea. For what it is, as a first work, it is very enjoyable, and the fact that it is semi-autobiographical is another element that gives the work longevity.

An overrated Instapoet who filled a book with vague, cliched, feel good sentences that she passes off as poems. Good news is that people like her are bringing poetry some new cultural relevance. Bad news is that people like her are writing terrible poetry, and the masses are lapping it up. Who cares about musicality, structure, alliteration, or any other devices native to poetry? Not her nor the rest of her kin.

Isn't this basically the entirety of his opus?

What makes me more worried is the content of her "poetry" rather than musicality, structure, alliteration, or any other devices.

That is an issue too, but you can scarcely call what she writes poetry because poetic structure does not matter to her. The poems are all written in sentences or broken lines with shallow use of enjambment.

bretty good, but you've got the work in the not having any dick part.

specifically, balls but no dick.

that's the heartbreaking part, user.

that may be the basis for a revival of interest in Hemingway among the dilation set, and eventually the larger culture (we're all dilators now).

Dilation what?

susans.org/wiki/index.php/Vaginal_dilation