What's a cooler version of Harry Potter?

What's a cooler version of Harry Potter?

HP was a children's book and had a simplistic system of magic

I want something hip and fun that explores magic but doesn't go full fantasy tier wizardry, and still has modern tropes.
Key here is: nice magic system, cool characters, YA ish, hip and not for children

Pic related is the aesthetic Im looking for

Other urls found in this thread:

vdare.com/posts/the-inherent-euro-traditionalism-of-harry-potter
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Persona

whoa gurl.. easy with the fire

The anime?

The only good fiction I've read that depicts magic as it is practiced in the read world are Crowley's novels Moonchild and Diary of a Drug Fiend.

More pertinent to what you're looking for is maybe The Magicians by Grossman, HP for a slightly older teen audience.

just play the games it's basically what you are looking for

The King James Bible

Lame... I'm gonna write my own under a pseudonym and rake in YA cash cows

skulduggery pleasant

or rivers of london series

Mahouka is what you want OP.

not the same

Applause

>magic system

I get why magic systems are funny as a meme but what's the origin?
Autism? Do they really get additional pleasure from their power fantasies if they systematize them? Shouldn't power fantasies be dionysian?

It's worldbuilding autism, also made popular by the fact that videogames require a hard system for magic to work.

If you take the phrase "magic system" it's clear that magic is predominant element, as it is the "stuff" that is to be systematized. Therefore its presence is more vital.
So I say that the power fantasy of wielding magic is the basic pleasure here and the systematization is an enhancement of that. But the reason I brought up dionysian is because surely at some point the autist will break his own system rules in order to increaseth the sensation of fantastical power? And when he does that what is he left with?

not necessarily this book in particular, but you get the idea

Faust is a more modern version, Madoka Magica even moreso. Ultimately however you need to investigate your pagan roots.

vdare.com/posts/the-inherent-euro-traditionalism-of-harry-potter

people in this thread are kind of memeing you b/c this is not really the appropriate board to be asking this question. but Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel is close to pretty much of all of your requests. it's a 5 or 6 book series, all of it is pretty decent YA

To aru Majutsu no Index.

You might like this, OP. It's a little less gay than Harry Potter but takes place in the 19th century so not totally modern.

weak

Dresden Files
Alex Verus

Lev Grossman's "The Magicians" is pretty bad but follows kind of the idea of a more grown up HP on the current world

I've started, and skipped the novel version

SP is pretty fucking good for a YA series

OP, no memes, read/watch HunterxHunter. Nen is the best game-y magic system in any YA genre. It starts pretty slow though.

Bartimaeus Sequence.

Reymond E Feist. Start with the Magician

girl...... easy on the fire

>not using a pirated ver. of final draft

This