Mise en place

>mise en place
I think i prefer the tendie eating food hater over the line cooks acting like they just got back from france.
Just fucking stop, you pretentious shitbags

>oh no they used the terminology that is established in most every professional kitchen in the western world, what a pretentious dick!

Half the words in the English language have French origin via the Norman conquerors. Brainlets can't into etymology.
>mise en place
What would you call it instead? "Put all yr shit in little bowls before you start cooking?" Just call it what literally everyone else calls it, don't be an autist who demands special treatment.

>>oh no they used the terminology that is established in most every professional kitchen in the western world, what a pretentious dick!

this.

ok

Dumb weeb

>What would you call it instead?
Why would i call it anything? I dont walk around anouncing what im doing.
Is there a french word for shitposting on Veeky Forums so i can let the whole house know that i know some french words?

Ever since the Norman conquest of England the use of French terms in English has rankled the poor and working class, since it was the elites who spoke French. This prejudice was carried over to America, and remains to this day. All it shows is that you're a member of the lower classes.

>"Put all yr shit in little bowls before you start cooking?"
lawl

That's not only true of french terms, it's true for any foreign word. That's why anytime someone brings up the term "umami," some low class, xenophobic troglodyte has to start sperging that you should use "savory" (derived from Old French, ironically) because "umami" sounds scary and pretentious.

People will do that about anything that makes them feel insecure. The only solution is to push through: some people have to be forced to dispense with their ignorance.

>Is there a french word for shitposting on Veeky Forums so i can let the whole house know that i know some french words?

prétentieux

True, but French gets particularly singled out because for so long it was the dominant language of elites. It was the international language of Europe. If you were of a certain class you sent your kids to French (or Swiss) schools so they would end up fluent or close to it. (This is still true to some extent today). And in that class peppering your English specifically with French idioms was common, because another of the same social class would know exactly what you meant.

Sure, the lower classes are always suspicious and mocking of things foreign, but anything French gets singled out for a special ridicule in the English speaking world. Not just the language, either. The food, the wine, the philosophy, the fashion - it all becomes shorthand for upper class frivolity.

I still hate the word "deconstructed" though, you pretentious cunt. I'm paying for a meal, construct it for me, you obnoxious twat! I'll pay for a nice dinner in a good restaurant, and even dress for the occasion, but but don't dick me around with some artsy "deconstructed" bullshit. I'm not spending $100 to have some CIA drop out fancy up my plate.

If I'm paying $100 for a meal those plates had better damned well be fancied up.

lol I'll pay for a good porterhouse med-rare au poivre, or a good, quiet Italian place with a bit of music, or on some good mussels in a French place. Hell, I'll even eat chicken wings in a bar. What I don't do is spend money on douchebags that talk down to me.

Here's your money, I would like a complete meal made fresh, in whatever style you're doing. Done. End of transaction.

>What I don't do is spend money on douchebags that talk down to me.
People don't talk down to you at good restaurants. The staff is specifically trained to assure all guests have a good time. Hell, a lot of places have a specific guy on hand just to keep you from getting tripped up over the wine list if you want some wine but don't know that much about what's likely to go with what. It's the fucking hospitality industry, after all. If you go to some place where the meal is an elaborate tasting menu over many courses of carefully plated dishes NO ONE there is going to be a douchebag to you. The staff is going to do whatever they can to see you enjoy it, because a lot of fucking work went into coming up with the dishes, making them, plating them and serving them. The pride of the establishment is on the line. They're not trying to threaten you, they're hoping you'll have an enjoyable meal you'll remember for a long time.

Completely agree. The last time I went to a good restaurant, our guy was a fucking professional, suggesting cocktails and wine pairings, and there was a boy refilling our water glasses and clearing our plates. That's professional hospitality, and well worth the money.

I get what that guy was on about though. The arms race for restaurants on the high end to outdo each other and keep things interesting to diners who eat out often leads so some things that seem just plain silly outside of that world. Deconstructed dishes are a perfect example. It would be kind of pretentious for a home cook to think about concept dishes like that. But in a world of jaded diners who take good food and service as a given because they eat out at good places often you may have to lean on the conceptual angle if you want to wow them. Because at that level it's not just about good food and good service - you want to provide an experience they'll remember, tell their friends about and return to experience again.

does this way of thinking only happen when you're autistic?

do mise en place but trash it up by using paper plates and mispronouncing it so you can't be accused of being pretentious

>Hell, a lot of places have a specific guy on hand just to keep you from getting tripped up over the wine list
Just don't tell OP he's called the sommelier

>I dont walk around anouncing what im doing.
You know who does? People who work in professional kitchens. Dumb thread OP.

I purposely left that detail out.

For the most part this...but that being said, there are humans that work in hospitality and the industry is not filled with evolved and well adjusted people as a rule. You can and will encounter workers with personal problems if you don't understand how to give respect, you might encounter even more, despite training.

The word deconstructed doesn't bother me at all. I am only bothered by poor cuisine. If your concept or your dish didn't work because it was simply not good, that's what should bother you, not the use of the term. It's a term that makes people think of a craft or art right away and should be used judiciously. If it's a stupid, then well, it was a stupid meal that didn't impress you. I don't want some things deconstructed but hopefully I can appreciate if that worked for the dish even if I wouldn't want it.

At the end of the day no chef or restaurant manages to bat 300. Ill conceived dishes make it on to the menu sometimes, even when the chef is usually amazing. That server who seemed perfect in the interview turns out to be a psycho. Your best line cook goes through a breakup and is suddenly in the midst of a week long bender, and the rest of the team can't quite cover for him. And sometimes a place just rests on its laurels a little too long. Some of my biggest expensive disappointments have been eating at places with Michelin stars just before they lost them. This is all party of the reality of fine dining, or really any restaurants with a little ambition. But none of this invalidates the idea that the place is trying to give you a great experience for the money dropped there. They're not trying to be pretentious or douchey. They're trying to serve food their customers will enjoy in an atmosphere where they feel taken care of. How well they succeed at this varies, but that is the goal. And plenty of good places achieve it most of the time.

I remember when sriracha was just called chili/garlic chili sauce fucking hipster faggots I hope you all get run over by your democratically adopted pet refugee

wat

>no chef or restaurant manages to bat 300
I think you mean "bat 1000." Batting 300 means you get a hit 30% of the time (which is very good).
>Ill conceived dishes make it on to the menu sometimes, even when the chef is usually amazing.
Plus, every restaurant that isn't getting by on reputation alone (i.e. world famous places or the best of the locally famous places) has to put "crowd pleasers" on their menu to get the business of fat customers who don't know good cuisine.
>They're not trying to be pretentious or douchey. They're trying to serve food their customers will enjoy
Fully agreed. I love restaurants, they make me feel so comfortable. Meanwhile I get anxiety in stores, on the bus, whatever. The social contract in restaurants just makes sense to me, and I feel lucky to be able to enjoy it, because I think a lot of the asshole behavior and angry comments people make with regard to restaurants stems from them feeling uncomfortable/out of their element.

>there are humans that work in hospitality and the industry is not filled with evolved and well adjusted people as a rule

Mostly because the industry is underpaid and over worked for having to put up with peoples shit

Not a sports guy, but I mean almost nobody bats 300 the same way almost no chef always makes great decisions about the menu. If most of it is inspired and the rest is just good, with only a few dishes missing the mark that's about the best you can expect. Perfect is actually impossible.
>I think a lot of the asshole behavior and angry comments people make with regard to restaurants stems from them feeling uncomfortable/out of their element.
Maybe. I always saw it as resentment that they can't afford the cost of entry, then looked at some of the food and not only was it expensive, but it also seemed silly and pretentious, and that sent them into a rage. Rich people buying into some kind of emperor's new clothes thing.

Even if you look at OP post you can feel the resentment in a line this:
>acting like they just got back from france.
I mean, what if you HAD recently gotten back from France? It's still a pretty major country. Plenty of folks go there for both business and pleasure. It's not all that odd to me that someone might have just come back from France. It's hardly that odd a place to go.