Have you ever refused to buy a book because of its cover?

Have you ever refused to buy a book because of its cover?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Qpg43z6R
amazon.com/Odyssey-Homer/dp/0140268863/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500929513&sr=8-1&keywords=fagles odyssey
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Only from online purchases.
Most my books don't have the best covers. But I am a picky artist sort.

This cover for one is so much better than the white and green thing I picked up

sometimes, but fantasy cheese like OP are a plus not a minus

Not entirely related but the other day a friend if mine showed me a pic of a girl he likes. It was an instagram pic if her laying over a boulder with a copy of The Hobbit next to her. It had a caption over it that read "A perfect moment of quietness and reading".
Now. Not only was the book The FUCKING Hobbit but it had the movie adaptation bookcover. To add salt to the injury the photo was taken very clearly at nightime with literally only the light of the flash. How I hated that picture. I punched my friend in the stomach just out of pure anger.

>it had the movie adaptation bookcover

This one?

>How I hated that picture. I punched my friend in the stomach just out of pure anger.

I mean, I know this is Veeky Forums, but you got issues.

Yes and yes

Yes for a long time, a true shame really considering how good i found the book to be

>Rothfuss

Is this bait?

I'm very particular when it comes to book covers and cover-art. But usually if I really want to read the book, I'll just get it, pic related. I've also always hated. when a publisher defaces a perfectly fine cover with a stupid stamp or advertisement for some shitty adaption that'll be out dated in a year, similar to I'm also hate review endorsements on a cover but to a lesser extent.

No. I like an aesthetic cover but if there's no choice I'd never refuse to buy it.

That Rendezvous with Rama cover is based

That's a killer cover.

Yeah, I was at Library sale and Saw Huey Longs Biography had written hes a fucking Nazi in permanent marker on it.

the first few pages had a simmilar annotation

Occasionally but mostly I can't stand to buy mass paperbacks they seem so flimsy

It aint the worst I've seen. Like I said, it wasn't enough to deter my purchase. I just don't like the design of the Endeavor in this case. pic is my favorite version.

my twisted world parody. lurk moar

no, I wouldn't buy a book whose cover is stolen from a coldplay album's artwork. cheap plagiarism

Is this an ugly cover?

I have a feeling the designer behind it didn't really have a lot of talent or vision, but to me it's beautiful

Yeah I think it's because of the fact that it just shows a still from the film. But something about the style for the author and title is appealing to me, even though it feels like it shouldn't be.

Same publisher did this cover for À Rebours (pic related) a decade or so after Le Rouge et le Noir which makes me think there was some thought put into the covers

Didn't want to make a new thread, so I'll post here.

Which of these two do you guys recommend?
pastebin.com/Qpg43z6R

I honestly like the cover of the first one more, but I assume the second one has a better translation since it's more expensive?
If you know of any versions with better covers then don't hesitate to mention.

it's fitting for the quality of stendhal's prowess. utter shit.

Do your research on the translations. If you're not a very advanced reader or don't know much about Greek mythology, definitely get the Robert Fagles translation.

As it happens, I'm knowledgeable of ancient greece and have good reading comprehension, yet I've still read the Fagles translation. The edition I own is this one:
>amazon.com/Odyssey-Homer/dp/0140268863/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500929513&sr=8-1&keywords=fagles odyssey

I haven't read Fagles' Odyssey, but I read his Iliad which is in exactly the same style so it doesn't matter. I literally just bought the Odyssey today and can't wait to read it!

I'll look into it, thanks. I can only hope I'll find hardback versions since that cover looks pretty good.

I can't buy novels when the front cover is tied in with a movie adaptation

na, if the translation is good or the work is in the original language and the book is cheap, I go for it regardless of the cover

Audible kek

Yeah, I wanted to read Murakami's early work, but the new editions that are fucking everywhere look and feel like shit. Flimsy books with plastic sheens are cancer.

The previous editions designed by John Gall (pic related) should've become the definitive editions: great design, and the covers have the perfect texture and thickness to them, my beaten up Wind Up Bird Chronicle has never fallen apart, while the new one feel like they're about to fall apart at any second. Infuriates me to no end, Vintage International really dropped the ball.

pic related is one the new Vintage Int. editions that you see everywhere.

that's not even the worst cover, OP

>Take Sci-fi lit course at uni
>Read I, Robot
>Have an old copy I found at my grandma's place with that awesome 70s/80 hand painted cover art
>Uni's book store edition just has the poster for the Will Smith movie

hahahahaha, what a fucking piece of shit.

On an unrelated note to the cover I just read Kafka on the Shore and I don't think I really got the whole thing. Should I do more research into what it all meant or just leave it as kind of a faint blur in my mind. Is it a cultural barrier or am I just dumb? I usually am pretty easily able to understand books, even more difficult ones, without doing any research afterwords, that's why this stands out to me.

My dad has wanted me to read this book for years.

Yes, we're Jewish.

i unironically love this cover

Rendezvous with Rama is, unironically, one of my favourite books of all time. Pic related of the cover of my copy, I love how minimalist it is.

I completely agree. One of my faves as well.

i would

I do but only because I reflexively look at appealing covers. I hate when they put movie character covers on. It would be okay if they were nice, but instead they shove the actors/actresses face at you.

>featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes
wtf?

>They begin with fifteen-year-old Mary Russell who runs into a middle-aged individual she realizes is, in fact, Sherlock Holmes, now retired to Sussex, where he keeps bees. … Russell and Holmes come to have a great respect for one another… the two are married in 1921.

god fucking dammit

jesu christo

I'd make an exception for that one, m8, but that's just me

>Bilbo le hobbit

I read this a couple years ago and liked it. Are the sequels worth reading or should I read something else by Arthur C. Clarke instead?

No, they're not worth reading at all tbqh - while RwR is one of Clarkes best novels, the sequels are widely thought of as some of his worst.

The cover is one of my first criteria in evaluating a book for purchase. Once I know the cover looks decent then I can actually check what the story is about and any relevant reviews.

I love McCarthy but damn