Are there any books about working in a bureaucratic situation? Stuff like boring office work? I'm genuinely curious

Are there any books about working in a bureaucratic situation? Stuff like boring office work? I'm genuinely curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/image/y6w0q1uGS3AXw4MGBnHkLw
warosu.org/lit/thread/7110484#p7111803
warosu.org/lit/thread/7393986
warosu.org/lit/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=gaskun
warosu.org/lit/thread/S9637590#p9637635
warosu.org/lit/thread/S9637590#p9639802
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This pic makes me miss gas-kun.

Same. I have the overwhelming desire to be an unorganised yet organised at the same time like him.

Kafka is a strong critic of bureaucracy

Pale King and Bartelby the Scrivner come to mind

I've read Bartleby but never Pale King.

Recommendation?

Takes place at the IRS, about boredom and talks a lot about bureaucracy

It's unfinished tho which kind of sucks

Kafka The Trial is the best fit for what you're talking about. Otherwise check out campus fiction.

I still wish someone who lived close to where he did could get their hands on his manuscripts and try to salvage them.

I don't, even though he did good at helping to motivate other writers his own work was fucking horrible. Granted it was a genre fiction abortion to begin with but even still his skill was atrocious in every sense of the word and on top of all that he flat out refused to admit that was he was writing was even potentially subpar and too long. Fuck him, hope he died via tire explosion.

Not the best thing to say about someone who apparently killed himself. At least he produced something which is probably more than could be said for you.

Thanks, mates. Torrenting now.

The Trial also has an audio book on torrent somewhere

Not a fan of audio books, personally. I think it'd actually be easier for me to read it normally.

who is gas-kun? give me the run down

From the last 5 minutes, I gather he was an habitue of Veeky Forums, an aspirant writer of some evident industry and unknown talent, now deceased

warosu.org/lit/image/y6w0q1uGS3AXw4MGBnHkLw

Pic related is the last page of his opus magnus, or some subsection thereof, as discussed here: warosu.org/lit/thread/7110484#p7111803

Don't have a clue as to the origin or significance of the name "gas-kun," however.

He worked at a gas station.

Literary perfection.

>"The Pale King" dares to plunge readers deep into this Dantean hell of "crushing boredom," suggesting that something good may lie beyond. "Pay close attention to the most tedious thing you can find (tax returns, televised golf) and, in waves, a boredom you've never known will wash over you and just about kill you," Wallace writes in a note that's included at the end. "Ride these out, and it's like stepping from black and white into color. Like water after days in the desert. Constant bliss in every atom."

Not him, but the Trial. Focuses on the absurdity, coldness, and impenetrability of bureaucracy.

He seems like an interesting guy but this is not good writing

What was the name of gaskun' first book? I put it on my ebook ages ago, but I forget it now. I thought it had the word "star" in it, but nothing is showing up.

>Pay close attention to the most tedious thing you can find (... televised golf)

Always had zero interest in golf, whether watching or playing, but happened to enraptured for about an hour watching it on TV *once* -- a revelation of the beauty and epic quality of the game (not to mention the superb production values, e.g., epic, beautiful zooms and pans over the luxurious golfing landscape).

It was a kind of instant aesthetic epiphany; quite different than trying to ride out waves of boredom, which seems a fool's errand and indeed something that can "just about kill you," and maybe did kill DFW.

The Compromise

You don't get too much of an "office" vibe from it though

He actually killed himself? Thank God.

I believe what you're looking for is the Het Bureau however it is not translated into english

I'm assuming Russian?

nice. this fucking book is expensive though.

Ivan Illitch - Tolstoi

Houellbecq "Extension du domaine de la lutte", english title is "Whatever"

Joseph Heller - Something Happened

Mostly complicated office politics

yeah this, really good book,

exactly what you are looking for OP

>deceased
w-what?

Voskuil - Het Bureau don't know if translated.

Book of disquiet by Pessoa.

Retarded guy who worked at a gas station. He wrote like 50000 pages about retarded space cars or some shit.

Thomas Ligotti - My Work Is Not Yet Done

Yeah. I've been trying to get some solid confirmation for myself but it has been said in enough threads for me to believe it to be true.

"Here, have a delightful sunrise."
t. Gaskun

Not sure if actually gas-kun or just a fellow fan of his persona.

just a new fan digging up stuff in the archives.

actually, he seems like he was (?) a pretty chill dude. see, e.g., the "Oh shit, they're on to me" post in this thread: warosu.org/lit/thread/7393986

Glad to see new fans of his. Yeah. Shame I can't find any more people who seem to have somewhat known him to help me compile his stuff as well as what actually happened to him.

Why the fuck would you want to, it's absolute garbage. Fuck off back to r/books.

One never knows, but, glancing through his posts, I don't see any indicators this guy killed himself, or was on any kind of a trajectory to kill himself.

warosu.org/lit/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=gaskun

And in particular, from mid-June, little over a month ago: warosu.org/lit/thread/S9637590#p9637635

and: warosu.org/lit/thread/S9637590#p9639802

Interesting. I will look at these later.

>working in a bureaucratic situation
It's got to be the Trial

I would prefer not to, yada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yada
yada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yadayada yada yada yada yada yada yada

My ears were burning. Sup Veeky Forums?

Dutch

"Notes from the underground."

Oh shit daddy is alive!

have you been published yet my gnan

That's the end of book 9

Why people think you're dead?

Books 1-3 are out and selling well. Goodreads and Amazon reviews are falling short of perfect for book 1 because of typos. I'm stalling 4 to October until I can get it fixed. I don't like getting "dinged" for shit that's avoidable..

whats the name, I'll buy em

You still working at the gas station?

Negative. I'm in my last week of being the manager of a pharmaceutical delivery company. I'll take a week off and then start as facilities manager for an organization that helps children with autism. For the past 7 months I've worked terrible hours, and had no time for myself or my writing. During that week off I'll re dedicate myself to new works. I see the new job as an opportunity to establish myself in abnormal workflow and start pumping out a new series. The gas shed was a long time ago

He stopped posting as gas-kun and started posted as anonymous so these latest posts are probably just people making up shit.

Link me the amazon dude?

>I'll take a week off and then start as facilities manager for an organization that helps children with autism

Did you list "browsing Veeky Forums" as work experience?

Why do you think I'm a manager?
Kidding. They do good work and they help kids. I've worked with troubled kids before. It's a worthwhile endeavor

I would be willing to give free copies to anyone who could help me find the typos.

IS HE BACK?!

what's the page count my friend

I'll help you Gaskun.
[email protected]

This user is right. I am big on Kafka, but
gives the real right answer to OP's specific request.

It's 512 pages hard copy I believe. 12pt double space 600+ in kindle format. I have mobi. EPub. And word

I have your address. I'll email you

Forlesen by Gene Wolfe

I'm looking for something kind of what OP is looking but more like hating the office. Like those moments from Fight Club. The rebellious office haikus, etc.

Sup.

Ah, how happy I am to know you're still between us, Gas-kun :D

don't stop believing!

Received! I'll email you back with my legit address

I was scared for you.
You self-published, right?
How much have you sold, and are you starting on a new project?

2000+ copies and yes the new project is underway. I have to get to bed to get up early for the hellish job (almost 10 pm here) I'll be back on around 7 am and will answer any questions if anyone cares. Sweet dreams. Go write.
GK

>The gas shed was a long time ago

But it has a certain iconic power. That said, I'm glad to hear that rumors of your demise were exaggerated. Good luck with your book.

Holy shit, have you made bank?

I don't know. If I were him and the writing were really good I'd only release the first few volumes and imply that it's actually a ten-volume saga jokingly in interviews. Then they'd 'miraculously' find the manuscripts after my death and treat it as a global literary event.

Dude I literally live within 10 miles of him, but you have to give me something to go on

Some but It I can do better. I'm doing interviews with smaller online sci-fi sites now and building my brand. When I get this typos shit squared away I'll spam the shit out of every online reviewer to get more exposure. You have to sell sell sell

This Gaskun guy writes Star Trek books. How disappointing.

We should meet. :3

Everyone knows this

came to post this

A 5000 page roman à clef over 7 parts detailing some 30 years of working at a scientific institute. It's basically a critique of social expectations. It's Dutch, I believe it has only been translated into German so far.

actually The Pale King

Another delightful sunrise

The Pale King for sure.

my novel, desu. too bad it was rejected by every literary agent on the market two years ago. looks like the corporations won this round, folks.

The double, by dostoboy

Keep shoppin it around, mate

All the Names - Saramago

Give you his dick to go on!

Tbqh I did people's taxes for about 6 months on a random detail I was in during the military.

It was actually super interesting.

I'm surprised no one posted The Overcoat by Gogol. It's all about a boring-ass low-level bureaucrat named Shit Shitterson that buys a coat to make his life marginally less miserable and gets fucked over

Haven't read through previous replies so might be a repeat, but bartleby the scrivener

Joseph Beth 7pm?

Nah, bureaucracy is more like a force of nature in Kafka's books.

Be less pretentious