What languages are you learning, Veeky Forums? How is your progress? What is your strategy

What languages are you learning, Veeky Forums? How is your progress? What is your strategy.

I think I may have finally broken through on Russian. After about 3 weeks of doing Duolingo and reading childrens' books intensively (6+ hours a day), I can more or less slowly read the Russian version of Veeky Forums. I focused my study more on reading than on writing or listening, so I cannot quite shitpost yet, but I can understand them. There is an odd feeling of 'intelligence' that one feel upon finally understanding idiocy in another language.

I also have middling reading ability in Ancient Greek but material available is less conducive to rapid progress than for a living language.

Other urls found in this thread:

ankiweb.net/shared/info/1473169469
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What the fuck kind of life do you have where you can do Duolingo and read kids books for 6+ hours a day?

Lately I haven't tryed to learn any language.
Months ago I tryed german with Duolingo. I was going okay even, but lazyness cought me and now I am suffering with plebian talk of:

Portuguese [Native/Native]
English [Accented/Accented]
Spanish [Broken/One-Way]
I wish I could get the strenght to start learning russian or japanese.

Vocaroo you speaking English

Heyyyy youre just like me! Native portuguese that knows english and spanish, thats pretty cool

Oh, what a small world

I hope you've paid a lot of attention to pronunciation because word stress in Russian is unmarked but has a major effect on how words are pronounced.

Which children's books user? Could you possibly provide link to them?

Also, to what level in duolingo did you get to till you could understand russian autism memes?

Python

>There is an odd feeling of 'intelligence' that one feel upon finally understanding idiocy in another language.
I think it's far more intelligent to learn languages by daffy conversations. Every pleb can learn a lang for the benefit, but only a true patrician can afford spending some years for undersanding memes.

It's summer, he's prob on break... so am i.

NA-HOO-YA?

Duolinguin' my way through french. I feel like I should complement it with something else though, but I don't know what. The reason my english is good is probably because all the entertainment I ever watched was in english, but I'm not terribly interested in watching French cinema or anything. Guess I should.

A year down the line for Russian here. Grammar is down pat, now I'm scaling the great wall of vocab slowly but surely.

The amount of vocab needed to understand even the more simple of adult level novels is frankly obscene. Also fucking slangy idioms. Sentences that you think mean something and then end up meaning something totally different. Mostly absent in literature, but fuck me do I run into them all the time with other native level material.

read french lit, silly

I am very interested inlanguages and for a while in college was spending like 10 hours a day on French (primarily), but also some chinese and latin and welsh. I could never really think in tenses (I understood them 100% theoretically etc, but never could really put them into use or memorize their rules) even after playing some video games in french (Final fantasy IV and VI, Final Fantasy Tactics Advances [which actually had a very idiomatic french translation], etc.) and reading some Flaubert (a new word learned a paragraph) and Hugo (easy) and some philosophy (I found that actually this was easy to read in french and was easier for me to wrap my head aroudn the ideas for some reason -- maybe it was a side effect of semiconscious translation)

Now I have other aspirations in life and can't spend time on languages. Feels awful, especially since i'll regret it when I'm older.

Preach. I start my PhD in October, and realistically I won't find much time for languages and all my other hobbies.

Something is gonna have to give.

Is there a different website you're referring to as the Russian version of Veeky Forums, or are you just reading Veeky Forums in Russian?

He's talking about двaч (dvach), more well know as 2ch

Monkeys are literally one of the most common type of people on Veeky Forums though
t. fellow monkey

Learning French, and will begin learning Russian intensively in October at university

I've been learning German at school for the past 2 years and once I get to uni I hope to at least minor in it. I've also dabbled a little in Dutch too but nothing serious because I have nobody to speak it with.

In the fall, I'm taking part in a program my school has where they pay for their students to take a course at the local community college during the school day and for college credit too. I'll be using this opportunity to take an introductory Arabic course and I'm pretty excited about it.

Also, I'm interested in Russian and Esperanto, but that's about it.

OP here

>inb4 not 18
I started Kindergarten a year late and have an early birthday in June

мoлoдeц чyвaк! я aмepeкaнeц кoтopый жил в poccии и тeпepь я жeнaт нa pyccкoй. дa pyccкий язык cлoжный нo тoжe oчeнь кpacивый. yдaчи aнoн!

вы выyчили pyccкий язык пpeждe чeм вы пepeхoдил в poccию?

a кaк вы живёт в poccии?

кcтaти, я нe oп

ecли хoчeшь, читaй зтy книгy. oчeнь лeгкaя и Дoвлaтoв кpyтoй. if you want, check out this book. it's pretty easy and Dovlatov is pretty cool

я жил тaм 4 гoдa. и мoя жeнa из poccии

дa в кoлeджe

I took German all through high school and college. I still keep up some practice, listening to German news and shitposting on kayce.

Started Italian with duolingo, moved on to some grammar books, and listen to podcasts. Can stumble my way through some actual literature.

Then I did a bunch of other courses on duolingo just for fun. So now I have some basic reading comprehension in French, Spanish, Norwegin and Esperanto, even if I can't really speak at all.

I made it about 2/3 through Lingua Latina per se Illustrata this year. I got discouraged and put it aside for a while, but I may come back to it soon.

What discouraged you about lingua latina?

As someone who's very curious about latin, purely for Cicero, Cesar and the like.

It wasn't the book itself. I generally like the style.

Just felt overwhelmed by the sheer mass of Latin grammar, and the seeming impossibility of getting to the point where I could comfortably read Caesar.

Ah I see. Any particular aspects that were especially difficult? Or was it just sheer number of rules and different constructs?

I have also broken through in Russian. Reading trashy YA now. Just finished series Paзгoвop c Boждeм and am now reading an actually pretty interesting historical fiction about Saint-Just (живoй мeч или этюд o cчacтe)

try princeton's soviet children's book library

if you're interested I have an anki deck of around 15k words

I gave up studying languages, except English, which is my major. There's no point in studying a language if you don't watch constantly some movies and series originally in that language.

My native language is english. I can read and write in swedish/norwegian/danish/german/dutch/french/russian/polish. am learning italian and will stop learning languages after probably.

I'd be interested in that anki deck user

Interested

What did you use to get started ? to study grammar ?

also interested

bump

Swedish [Native]
English [Fluent and no accent according to international friends]
Spanish [Studied in school, top of my class, but hard to maintain]
German [Duolingo, related to Swedish, girlfriend is from there, just got back from her birthplace]

you're so cool and great user

who /日本語/ here?

a bit of a slog but the novelty of it keeps me going - learning vocab is pretty fun but the grammar is hard to internalise

Just started doing it noncommitally. I've learned my hiragana. I have no intention to really focus on it, I just want some vocab for anime watching. I like picking up on phrases. It adds to my enjoyment.

awesome, posting the link now. I'm adding to it every day, so I can post more in a month or so. I'm aiming to have 20k by the end of the summer. Obviously it was made by me for me, so there might be things that are unclear.

Basic structure: bold indicates stress. Verbs that don't have objects either take accusative or nothing. There is no particular order, the words are just from mining, but words I learned very early when I was just starting might not be in verb pairs. there are some phrases for grammar and stuff. Well, you'll see. Let me know if there's any questions.

ankiweb.net/shared/info/1473169469

Portuguese
English
Spanish
wee bit of french and italian (reading only, my accent is terrible)

Geek - native
Creep - advanced

I started with Duolingo just to learn cyrillic, then I used New Penguin Russian course for grammar, then I turned to trying to read childrens books and other native level material. Blogs I found to be the best for the lower intermediate stage as the language was simple and most words were common.

I'm just trying to break out of that stage now and into harder literature.

To anyone inclined to use this guys deck, I would advise making your own instead. I tried using a pre made deck for quite a while but I had much more success making my own, where I could structure the cards in a way that worked best for me. When it comes to memorization you'd be amazed at the difference personally making the cards to align with your learning preferences makes.

probably true.

I have recently starting reading real books and vocab mining though. Would anyone be intereste if in around a month from now I posted a deck that was just entirely "hard words from Anna K"? I have often thought that these kinds of decks would be helpful for myself.

I am working now on "hard words from ceн-жюcт: живoй мeч, или этюд o cчacтьe" but I doubt anyone wants to read it from here, so it's not really helpful

>scaling the great wall of vocab

2/10 metaphor, try more english first.

That's how I make decks too. I also have a general deck that I put slangy and colloquial stuff.

I certainly would be interested in a hard words from Anna K deck if you're willing to post it.

th-thanks.

The free word order is tough to internalize. Makes it hard to parse a sentence, even if I recognize all the words.

Cases and noun declension isn't that hard, but there are roughly a million goddamn tenses.

The kind where you work 8 hours a day, sleep 7 hours a day, and have 9 hours remaining for anything else.

>muh several hours commute
Joke's on you for picking such a shitty place to live, or a shitty place to work. Your pick.

cool stuff, I am not anywhere near done with it, but look out for it before the end of the summer in a thread like this

Cool. I'm in most of these threads. How long have you been learning actually?

two years. I spent three months in Russia, though, which helped a lot. I'm pretty easily conversational, and can read YA crap without trouble even I don't know a bunch of words, but I still struggle a lot with real "literature"