Shelf Thread

Post your bookshelf and then other anons, based on the novels you own and your taste, recommend authors missing from your collection that you'd likely enjoy.

Based on your shelf and your humor, I recommend John Green.

Based on your thread and your pic, I recommend reddit.

You'd probably really like Harry Potter, since you're derivative and not as clever as you think.

OP post your actual bookshelf or delete the thread for lack of premise.

1/5

Harry Potter was original as fuck.

2/5

3/5

4/5

5/5

I recommend Harry Potter's book.

>Literally every single one of those books is unread.

Wow, what a massive waste of money.

>INB4 i'm very careful when I read my books XD.

>shelves full of unread lit memes
only books that show signs of wear are the fantasy books

amazing.

Such bullies, many wows.

I've read around 60% of those books. If you can name which ones I have and which I haven't, I will send you any 3 books you want from any picture I posted. I keep my books in the best condition I can, and if any are fucked up, it's because they're used from goodwill. There's not a single book on those shelves that I read and did damage to, except Against the Day, which I dropped.

Surely you haven't even touched Kenny.

Don't give them the (You)s, OP. It's what they want. Unread book trolls are the fucking worst and laziest of Veeky Forums. They're just jealous they don't have money to buy books and have to copy pirated shit onto their ereader. Pic related, a book which just arrived in the mail today from Amazon.

I've never heard of that one, I'll have to check it out.

Hello, Veeky Forums.

Not the original poster, but your 2/5, bottom shelf.

Wrong

What I meant is that if books in good condition must be unread, then you and others should be able to point out, with ease, exactly which ones.

I meant the Ulysses stack, on my phone. Whoops

You dont have to tell me, my books are all pristine too.

never seen the full ML proust on a shelf together, very cool

Are you Nathan Gaddis?
Nice Steven Moore, do you have any nice lists from his back pages?

You haven't read The Tunnel, Novel Explosives, Magic Mountain, A Smuggler's Bible, The Cannibal, J R, Or The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

I want your First Edition Gravity's Rainbow, your copy of Women and Men, and I guess that copy of Einstein's Beets, for lols.

as someone who uses Veeky Forums surely you know that the term 'pirate' is an incorrect term to use.

Dude weed

>American flag
>chessboard

are you a girl?

they don't like people not standing for the american flag and dont like obama?

Wrong. God you guys are worthless.

No, but I talk to him occasionally.

>collects books explicitly because they're pretty
>owns fedoratier barnes and noble hardback classic collection
>stores his liquor above his books
>keeps empty liquor bottles around as mementos like a peasant would

at least your taste in alcohol is good

Great books but I get the feeling there's some real trash just out of frame. Also those are the exact books I'd pick if I wanted to describe the book collection of an insufferable knowitall cunt. (I'd also gladly take them all into my collection because I am one too)

I'm also glad you're a great husband!

How is The Nix? Due to the increased gentrification of my neighbourhood there's now several "book exchanges" operating in a fairly small area (if you don't know the concept, it's fairly self explanatory, but see a book, take a book, leave a book of your own for someone to do the same) and I passed by a cabinet with that in it. I sort of regret not just flat out stealing it to be honest.

Also, I like those shelves, where did you get them?

The other side of the wooden shelf is my wife's, and yes it's mostly middlebrow trash and veterinary textbooks. I am absolutely insufferable, so no worries.

Nice copy of Gibbon, I saw the same one in a used book store for $75, but this 3 volume set was only $20.

This is basically my summer reading shelf, planning on starting Macaulay's history next.

(You)

I almost bought that set, it looks nice. I've been lucky the past few months, making more than I've ever made by working two jobs. I obviously buy much faster than I read, though, so I think it's time to slow down.

1/1

>swastika
What are you, some sort of neon nazi? What book is it by the way?

2/2

Rise and fall of the third reich

Any good?

I recommend buying another bookshelf off Craigslist

Havent read it yet.
They are shit bookshelves but serve the purpose. I will be doing some built-ins soon and they will go away.

>Dante's Inferno
Why do people insist on not reading the full Comedy

I don't know why people bother reading the Divine Comedy in English. It's like reading Chaucer in Italian. Fucking stupid.

What are those 3 books on the top of your shelf?

>I obviously buy much faster than I read, though, so I think it's time to slow down.
iktfb

That's rude, there are no Barnes and nobles books, only 2 bottles are empty. Please take it back.

yo

my captcha describes my shelf really well

but here it is

I don't even know what I'm doing desu

How did you get into pipe smoking? I smoke occassionally (cigarettes), wondering how you made your way to a pipe. It looks like a very comfy thing for a snowy day.

Current. But I'm moving soon.

because like all trilogies the first one is the best. it's a lot less funny after that

pic unrelated

1/5

2/5

3/5

4/5

5/5

All I have here

Jealous of your Folios user

do you pay cover price for these books?

Thanks friend

Naw, all bought second-hand. Except the two Centipede Press editions.

>bluejackets manual

you on a ship, faaaaag? shelf looks like it could be a dorm. nice selection. read EB Sledge!

Not on a ship, stuck at "c" school. Sledge wrote With the Old Breed, right? I'll look out for it.

same. i wonder who all these people are that buy these books and donate them / sell them for so cheap

I think that a lot of them are bought in lots from estate sales. I'm sure that when I pass away, my family won't know what to do with all these books.

I love your Gormenghast set, by the way.

Fuck the haters user, these shelves are patrician as fuck. Would kill for a collection like that.

Thanks man. Honestly, just get to a place in your life where you can drop some money every once in a while without fucking yourself over. I was broke as fuck a few years ago and literally stealing books from Goodwill, and I finally have a collection that makes me genuinely happy.

thanks
i got most of these books from annual fundraiser sales by my local orchestra and University, basically all of them donated. It
does make sense if you think about it cause alumni of a university / orchestra (& their families) are probably more likely to have books

Not that guy but I just finally read my copy of Rise and Fall last month. Apparently it's somewhat dated now and Richard Evans' trilogy is the new top dog, but as someone who's never read any third reich/wwii history before it was very good and surprisingly a lot of fun.

It very heavily cites seized Nazi documents/reports/letters (along with correspondence of other heads of state/high officials, e.g. the diaries of Ciano, Mussolini's foreign minister) which makes for a lot of interesting and insightful reading, but sometimes it drags on quite a bit (e.g. like 30-40 pages of the Nazis and Soviets dancing around each other diplomatically before agreeing to split Poland).

The most surprising thing for me, and it really shouldn't have been in retrospect, is the book's focus on Hitler and the high command of the Nazi party and then government. There are a few sections on life in Nazi Germany, life under Nazi rule, the planned Nazi new world order, etc., but overall you're only going to be reading about things insofar as they reflect or give insight to the actual leadership of the third reich. So you'll read the tiniest bit about Rommel and the African theater, but mostly you'll read about Rommel as connected to his participation in a plot to kill Hitler, and Hitler's subsequent plan of killing off Rommel while trying to not get in hot water himself for offing such a popular general.

Similarly, you'll only hear the tiniest bit about de Gaulle, Free France, the French resistance, etc. Vichy France is mentioned only so far as Hitler tries to employ it against the Allies. Japan is only mentioned so far as she aligns with Germany and draws USA into the war, and so on.

Overall very interesting and very well written. Not a book about WWII, not a book about Hitler. If you're ok with that, go for it. Would recommend.

Just curious, but what makes it dated, if it was written with primary sources like that?

Where is the rest of the decline and fall?

I'm not totally sure (which is why I said "apparently") but from what I hear Evans is newer and more thorough, and if I had to guess I'd say it's thanks to an extra 50 years of documents coming to light. Shirer mentions at some point that not only was there no way for any single person to parse through the mountain of documents seized after wwii, but also he and everyone else reading them were on a time crunch before they got returned to the German government in the 50s or whenever.

love me some Macaulay

Arent you the guy that had a bunch of copies of Moby Dick? Did you sell them off?

i bet neither of you have ever read that folio society greek myths set

i haven't read mine either

the book was pretty useful for my classical myths class. much easier than rereading a primary source to remember some detail.
Plus it's written much better than a textbook

I still have them. The extra two copies are on top on the book case.

is the set on the top shelf 1001 nights?

Is Rabbit at Rest really his best?
I haven't read anything yet from Updike and was planning on jsut going from publishing date tbqh

you have zero originality or taste.

samefag, fucking pathetic.

What's up you jealous pathetic faggot?

Which of them have you actually read and what didn't you like about them? Also, post your shelf bitch.

dude forget these morons. who comes on the internet shitting up other people's book collection. the person you are talking to is pond scum.

It's all good. Calling them out and exposing the ones who clearly don't read or know shit is probably the best part of my day. If you ask them enough questions they'll give up because they don't know anything about literature. Also, they immediately resort to insults and /pol/tier shit, and I get genuine enjoyment out of reading them.

how is The Complete Encyclopedia of Cats?

Been on my list for a while

>women and men

(heavy breathing)

how is it

my wife is a vet and has an impressive collection of animal books and textbooks. It's ok

Don't have 1001 nights yet. Looking at getting the Franklin library edition from the 100 series.
Top shelf is the Bombay edition of Kipling.