Mussels

I've never cooked mussels before. My recipe says to heat oil, add minced onions and garlic, then the mussels and white wine, toss once and cover for a few minutes. Is that correct? No salt? Anything else i could do to make them extra delicious?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they should have plenty of salt in them. idk about adding the mussels before the wine, i believe you want to steam them not fry them and then have them sit in warm wine while you wait for it to simmer.

Do i just add the salt with the wine or what is the best course of action?
Yeah, worded that weirdly. I mean add them at the same time. Definitely steaming them in the wine.

don't add salt, mussels have lots of salt already in them

Hm, that also sounds eight. I guess i'll try it without. I can still add some if they taste bland.

I have cooked mussels before quite often. Here is my recipe for sea mussels/blue mussels like the ones in your picture.

1. Sort out ALL of the mussels that are open or broken. if you think it is still alive, knock it on the table softly. If it closes, it is fine.
2. Put them into a big bowl of fresh cold water. Don't do this for too long, because salt water mussels die in it. Let it stand around for about 30 minutes then change the water two times. This is to make the mussels open, release any brackish sea water and spill out remaining algae from their digestive tracts.
3. Slice red onions, red pepperoni (check for spiciness) and garlic
4. Buy diced canned tomatoes, fresh baguette, olive oil, white wine, vegetable broth and parsley with flat leaves.
5. Keep mussels in water until you start cooking.
6. Heat up big pot (lid required) to HIGH heat
7. Put in olive oil, onions, garlic and pepperoni. Keep your head out, because spicy air in your eyes is cancer.
8. after they have shrunked a bit, add the diced tomatoes a little bit of broth and salt and pepper. Taste for optimal mix. If the solution is a bit watery, thats what we want.
9. bring to boil
10. Add the white wine. Wait for boil
11. Pour off the water from the mussels and put them into the very hot pot. Stir twice and put lid on top.
12. Wait for about 5 to 7 minutes to be sure that you kill every sea bacteria shit on top and inside the mussels. Stir a bit more if you like.
13. Cut baguette and parsley
14. Put mussels into a bowl and add the rough cut parsley. Put baguette to the side.

15. Enjoy the most delicious mussels Italian style with a little spicy twist.

Dish looks like somewhat like pic, even though I use more like 1 kg of mussels, so you would actually need a bigger bowl. If you keep them in the pot over night, you can heat them up really hot in the morning and enjoy a rich breakfast on a saturday or sunday morning.

Thanks a lot! I will try this next time, it sounds delicious.

Sure thing!

And never forget: Don't eat the ones that haven't opened!

You said Italian style, so just to check: by “pepperoni” do you mean american salami or do you mean capsicum?

I meant red peppers/ hot peppers / chillies

Sorry, in German we just call them Peperoni

I can tell you how to cook perfect mussels. Mussels, like other fish and shellfish must be cooked hard and fast.
After sorting your mussels (taking off any beards and barnacles and removing dead mussels after a rinse) add your mussels to a large pan. Also add halved or roughly cut onions, leek and celery (tastes may vary, you're on ck, you should know what to do). Also top off with a LARGE amount of ground black pepper.
Now boil the mussels (do not add any liquid to the pan, mussels are literally filled with water, by turning your the heat on whatever stove you're using as high as possible.
When the boiling water rises, remove the lid so the water can settle. Repeat this step two or three times. No more.

Serve with frites and a condiment of your choice.

The reason you do not add any liquid is the same reason you douse a boiled egg with cold water, to stop cooking it. An overcooked mussel with go rubbery and crumble, like an overcooked shrimp.

Enjoy the brackish sea water in the shells, user.

You know they are basically dirt and algae filters? Also, if you put the mussels in before the boiling process, you are not cooking them "hard and fast".

I've heard putting corn meal and cracked pepper in the water encourages the mussels to spit out their muck. Anyone try it and know if it makes a difference vs plain fresh water?

Are you me? Literally my go-to recipe.

Shit's good man, and cheap for seafood. One of my go-to date dishes

Also, the broth makes a god-tier dip for the baguette. A bit of butter in the broth goes a long way too, adds a lot of depth that goes well with the mussel juices as they cook

just use plain fresh water, shit is science

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis

>Anything else i could do to make them extra delicious?
Add a little heavy cream at the end.

shut the fuck up you stupid fucking bitch, this recipe was handed down to me from my grandma and she just passed away, faggot. this is how you make the best muscles ever if your too fucking cucked to even TRY IT before you give your stupid fucking opinion then thats on you little soyboy bitch

Did your grandma die from eating her shitty recipe?

Eat them with a spoon.
I think spoons are pretty good.

You're a cool guy and all, but you fucked up big time. Boiling them for more than 3 or 4 minutes means they're overcooked as fuck. Me personally I would never give em more than 5 and I honestly doubt there is any chance for food poisoning if you buy good quality and keep up the chain.

I got these mussels from a pub and they were delicious.
They were in a chilli tomato sauce and had slices of some sort of sausage here and there.
Some crusty bread to mop up sauce is mandatory.

Peperoni in Italian is peperoncini iirc

Also Americans are retarded, but that's a different story

Thanks and I know they are. Last time I asked that question I was met by amerifatties telling me that pepperoni doesn’t mean capsicum in Italy.

I am the guy who posted the recipe. Glad that there are more mussel-lovers out there! And yes, the broth is god tier. But I usually eat so much that I can't cook the dish again for like a week or so...

So you were swallowing dirty seawater for 3 generations? Congratulations, user!
(But yeah, heat should kill most of the bad stuff anyway)

They never tasted overcooked though. Will compare some other recipes to check that one out. Maybe it is because I don't drown them in the liquid, (only about 1/3 in the pot is liquid) but cook more with the steam (thats why I put the lid on top). Maybe the steam cooks them slower, but hell I dunno, I just like them that way from the taste.

Never heard of someone putting sausage in there, but I guess its a possibility. Maybe I wasn't too far away from creating another nice recipe with my spelling mistake.

Thanks.

I am not that guy.

Okay, checked a few recipse and saw cooking times from 3 minutes 30 seconds to 10 minutes, but average was 5 minutes, at least for the German recipes.

The 3:30mins recipe was a pan recipe by the way, pan cooking times seem to be a lot faster since they are using higher temperatures and less mussels. I am usually cooking a bit less than 2 pounds of mussels, so cooking in a pan is impossible for me quantity wise. Basic rule of thumb for me to stop stiring and steaming is when 95% of the mussels have opened and been cooked for a good minute/30 secs. However, I have never been dissatisfied with the results. I may try shorter cooking times, maybe you are right.

>Enjoy the brackish sea water in the shells
"Brackish water" literally means water that is saltier than fresh water but not as salty as sea water, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
>filter feeders
Yeah so whatever shit is in their digestive systems, not the tiny bit of water that might be in the shell. Most of the liquid that comes out is from the clam, though, which is why you want to preserve that broth, adding a little white wine and fresh tomato or pepper and a tiny bit of butter or freshly made mayo, which also goes well as a condiment for clams and complimentary sides like fires, instead of watering it down and washing away flavor with a bunch of boiling water that you'll just toss.

Always appreciate it when someone bothers to type out a legit recipe.