>brands
>flavors
>cocktails
>price
>drinking vessels
>bourbon vs scotch
>blended vs single malt
>whisky vs whiskey

Whisky info courtesy of your friendly neighborhood user: ghostbin.com/paste/nkr9v

This is NOT an Al/ck/oholic thread.

I'll be honest, I've never tried Jack, is anything they make actually worth a shot?

eh... none of it is BAD per se, but even their higher end stuff like gentleman's jack isn't anything special

Went to a new place tonight and had one of these. Really nice oily single malt, if you can get one of these for under $120 USD do so!

I fell for the Jack Daniels Meme, I hated it.
It was too sweet and tasted like corn.
I ended up throwing half the bottle over the fence into the field where the neighborhood mormon kids play.
Hopefully they find it and become alcoholic

Gimme the whole enchilada on this bottle of nip shit right here?

Bought this bottle set last week for my birthday.
The Lasanta was really good.
The 10yr was good, reminds me a bit to much of Jack Daniels for some reason, lots of banana. I don't think I'd buy it again.
Haven't tried the port cask one yet.

currently enjoying a bit of Angel's Envy alone on my birthday. at least the whiskey won't leave me.

no

Dickel is better for Tennessee whisky

It's cheap enough to go out and try it desu. It's worth the £12 I paid for it.

don't worry sideways photo guy, we'll always be here

What's a good but inexpensive scotch? Need a Christmas gift around £25-35

Ive never had it, but monkey shoulder gets recced a lot for that purpose

My best friend drinks Jim Beam and I want to get him something nicer for christmas. Any recs?

Time to move to maine

what's your buget?

like, 40-50 dollars

no idea why my phone rotates shit like that. took it the right way I swear.

Jim beam daily drinker here- Jefferson or Blanton's hand labled. both are amazing and wont wreck your bank acct

>american whisky

Old Pulteney 12 is quite nice for around $40.

Get him some makers mark.

It's good but overpriced.

Dickel No.12 is better.

Presentation is important when it comes to giftgiving, so a really nice-looking bottle like Blanton's was a good recommendation from the other user. (It helps that it's a good whiskey too.)

But since he likes Beam you could honestly just upgrade him to one of their small-batch lines...Knob Creek Single Barrel would be good, or Baker's.

>Knob Creek
i wouldn't give that rotgut to anyone i considered a friend

fine by me, more for the rest of us

[spoiler]I stopped drinking the 9yo when it lost its age statement though.[/spoiler]

No one deserves that bad a gift user, they are friends, not mortal enemies.

Wtf if you knows hes likes something why you do need to go against it. Just literally buy something a tier up from what he usually drink like JB double oak or w/e equivalent is in your budget/available in your area.

About to have a dram of highland park 12. what am I in for boys?

Why doesn't binny's beverage depot carry blanton's? Pissing me off

I'm on the tail end of my current bottles and need to re-stock. Problem being I can't buy myself a new bottle so close to xmas since there will no doubt be some stuff under the tree.

I could buy some cheap shit to carry me over or hold out...

Hey, I drink out of the same kind of glass.

I enjoyed JD Single Barrel. Not really a fan of their other drinks though.

I bought a set like this. Although it was 3 x 375ml bottles. Havent opened any yet but looking forward to them

Abelour 10/12 is normally on offer around this time of year in that range. Supermarkets have a lot of offers in december though so you should be able to find something nice.

What do you guys do with whisky you don't want to drink (at least straight)? Ideally I'd like some good recipes to pour them in

Plenty of baking recipes can use bourbon, usually sauces or pies in my experience. You can use whisky as a marinade if you pick the other ingredients to match it, and you can also use it to deglaze pans when cooking steak or sautéing mushrooms or onions or something.

Don't purchase it in the first place.
Or in case you got lured into buying some right rancid swill I recommend tricking your friends and family into drinking it for you.

Yeah, I was thinking about some sort of marinade. It's Ardbeg and the peat is a little too much for me, but I figure it'll blend in with the charred bits if it's in a marinade

Glen Garioch Founders Edition is very good for the price.
Monkey Shoulder just tastes like younger Balvenie 12, and Balvenie 12 is already mediocre as is

get a bottle of Drambuie and make a Rusty Nail

For scotch mix it with amaretto for a godfather

I'm on a scotch thing right now. bought some bottles of single malt like Ardbeg 10, Glenlivet 12, Balvenie 12, and Highland Park 12.
The Ardbeg was very sharp an surprising at first. The smoke was overwhelming, yet enjoyable in a way.
The Glenlivet was boring.
The Balvenie was enjoyable and well rounded
The Highland Park was a manageable smokiness compared to the Ardbeg

Any recommendations?

How to get expensive Whisky cheap?

More Islay

if he likes Beam, both Bakers or Bookers are a good choice that have a Beam pedigree. Basil Hayden is another

cheers gents

Was thinking that. The smokiness was strange but also exciting. Very complex

Aren't decanters bad for the whisky?

long term, probably yes since the glass stoppers are probably not as tight as corks
the liquor in those decanters will be gone within a few. i poured less than a 1/3 of a bottle in each

Anyone have a solera bottle?

No love for rye whiskey?

What kind of store is a good place to buy a decanter from? I don't want to buy one online.

upper-scale liquor store

Welcome to the cult

My first two sips were in "this is weird" territory, but the third began my almost-immediate love affair with the island.

And trust me, it doesn't get better than Ardbeg. I like Laphroaig, I like Lagavulin, but I NEED that medicinal tang in my peat.

the decanters pictured above are from Crate and Barrel. i think they were $35 each. they’re nice, but if you compared them to higher end decanters you’d notice the difference
if you feel like spending $200 - $300 on a decantur you can go to Macy’s. they have some very nice Waterford decanters in that price range
the glass in the pic above is Waterford
BevMo used to have a lot of glassware and you might still be able to find something at one of the larger stores

i recommend the Crate and Barrel ones. they’re nice for the price. btw they’re glass, not crystal

btw, the serving tray is also from Crate and Barrel
and no, i’m not a shill, housewife or a gay man, but i do get kinda gay over barware

Steal

that's why I stopped buying jack, for some bucks more you can buy single malt scotch

my cocalombian barman told me it's so smooth, it's no fun

muddle sugar with angostura, add ice and whiskey

Their flagship product hasn't been as good since they dropped the proof. They put out a rye whiskey recently that's actually okay, but for around the same price you can get yourself a bonded rye.

Rittenhouse Rye and Four Roses yellow label bourbon are two inexpensive whiskeys that are much better tgan J

Yeah there's no real reason to buy it unless the store is out of all the better options.

Having some Laphroaig 10, it is some wonderful stuff. Somehow got it on sale for only $35 a bottle.

>using a decanter for good whiskies
What the fuck stop that

what’s your issue m8?

It oxidizes the whisky too fast and contains it with bad glass that can affect the flavour of the spirit, why the fuck would you put a gentle peaty scotch like Springbank in one of those?

No. Just order a shot of the regular, after all that's the actual real Jack, the one that the old rock stars drink. It's not good and has a weird aftertaste, but after that at least you've tried it.

the liquor in that picture is long gone.
it never sits in the decanter for very long.
and since you asked why: to be a pretentious twat
now let me ask you: why would you give a fuck?

Can confirm that double oak is a good buy as a regular beam drinker. They have giftsets at Costco in the UK I believe.

Buffalo Trace. I went to a tasting recently and was majorly impressed

What's a decent cheap whisky for cooking? I'd like to try spraying meat in my smoker with whisky instead of the apple juice I've been using.

But seriously any Chicagoland fags know where Ican cop some Blanton's?

BevMo
who’s the fag? you

No Bevmo in Chicago. I live in Chicago. Hence the question being directed towards people who live in the Chicago area

How can alcohol be oily?

I never had an oily one but I always wondered that myself. The Victory Gin in 1984 is described as oily.
I guess it can look oily when you pour it straight from the freezer at least.

Binny’s?

Also they don't deliver to Illinois

That was my original post, saying that they don't have it at Binny's

Best cheap Canadian whiskeys?

So I was able to snag a bottle of pre-revamp HP 12and i really like it. I hear the new bottles dont taste the same. Is that true? That's sad if so.

Caliber. It's like 8 dollars for a fifth at walmart but it might kill you

>drinking Jack Daniels in the bathroom of Vitamin World in between rounds of shooting dice w/ the staff

I’m up $17
>alea iacta est

I remember including the word "best".

according to the reps at WhiskeyFest SF the revamp is just a visual thing
take this with a grain of salt though, they were just brainless wenches
but also, i’ve had recent Highland Park and it tastes great

FUCK alc. More Jew bullshit. Alc and tobaccoo lobbies make weed illegal so that their kike devil brew stays bought, and they keep us away from Odin's gift to mankind.

that thumbnail made it look like the guy is showing his bare ass

There's some truth to this. In my state in the south an absurd alliance has formed between the evangelicals, private for profit prisons, medfags and liquor distributors to block pot legalisation.

FUCKING THIS

I didn't realise that was NOT what it was until it was pointed out.

i’m not sure that i can completely agree with you considering Constellation Brands just invested 190,000,000 in Canopy Growth

"If there is no 'E' in a country's name, there is no 'E' in their whisky."
In the US it is spelled "whiskey".

Well pretty much all non chill filtered scotch have oils and proteins from the copper pot stills and this one was oily especially likely due to the still shape concentrating the oils differently in the whisky. Try Talisker if you want an idea of how that tastes.
Lot No. 40 Rye
Forty Creek Copper Pot Still
Alberta Premium Dark Horse
>e

Just getting in to rye. Gonna buy the 1.75l jug of Bulleit from Costco tomorrow unless they have somethimg better. $35.

Just don't. Life is too short.

I live in Canada, and like cocktails. Americans whiskey is too expensive (import fees) to justify mixing it.

Well then Black Velvet or Canadian Mist are the standard cheap blended Canadian whiskys. But that is speaking from a West Coast US perspective. You might have better alternatives I am not aware of.
Personally I would rather make cocktails with somethimg like Evan Williams but then again that would be an import for you.

Canadian Club and Lord Calvert are the only other cheap ones I can remember. How expensive is Crown Royal for you? I always thought it was overrated for the price but maybe it is sheaper for.you.

What should I kick the night off with? HP, Glenlivet, Ardbeg, or Balvenie?
Last night was an Ardbeg night