"As with everything that he couldn't tackle at once, Adolf indulged in generalizations. 'Visualize a crowded ballroom'...

>"As with everything that he couldn't tackle at once, Adolf indulged in generalizations. 'Visualize a crowded ballroom', he said once to me, 'and imagine that you are deaf. You can't hear the music to which these people are moving, and then take a look at their senseless progress, which leads nowhere. Aren't these people raving mad?'"
p.70, 'The Young Hitler I Knew', August Kubizek

Was he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/stream/TheYoungHitlerIKnew/TheYoungHitlerIKnewJr_djvu.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Who? About what?

Are you unfamiliar with the philosophical genius known as Adolf Hitler?

This quote just makes him sound autistic, in the psychological sense of the word. Is there some higher context to what's being discussed? I can't imagine he just pulled this incredibly stupid non-sequitur out of his ass on purpose.

Why is Asian pop culture so retarded? I mean, Western pop culture is too, but the Asians seem to turn it up to 11.

archive.org/stream/TheYoungHitlerIKnew/TheYoungHitlerIKnewJr_djvu.txt

ctrl-f 'crowded ballroom'

No, he's just ripping off Nietzsche.

Or was Nietzsche ripping off Hitler?

That's not a Nietzsche quote, it was a woman that said that. I don't remember who but I also don't care enough to look it up.
>senseless progress, which leads nowhere
For a guy that dabbled in creative pursuits Hitler was kind of artistically retarded

I doubt the phrasing is correct, it's Kubizek remembering conversations from twenty years ago.

Bonus:

>"His classmates, mostly from solid, good-class Linz families, cold-shouldered the strange boy who arrived daily 'from amongst the peasants'"
p.59

>"In class he rarely came to anybody's notice. He had no friends, contrary to primary school, and wanted none"
p.59

>"He too, was completely alone. His father had been dead for two years. However much he loved his mother, she could not help him with his problems. He just needed to talk and needed someone who would listen to him."
p.32

>"But he? Where should he have gone that Christmas Eve? He had no acquaintances, no friends, nobody who would have received him with open arms. For him the world was hostile and empty. [...] All he ever told me of that Christmas Eve was that he had wandered around for hours. Only towards morning had he returned home and gone to sleep. What he thought, felt and suffered I never knew"
p.140

>"I was surprised he had so much spare time and asked innocently whether he had a job. 'Of course not', was his gruff reply [...] He did not consider that any particular work [...] was necessary for him"
p.29/30

>"He no longer attended school; did nothing to get himself job training; lived with his mother and let her keep him. But he was not idle: this period of his life was filled with restless activity. He sketched, he painted, he wrote poetry, he read"
p.62

Well he wasn't actually accepted to art school, after all.

>So, for my friend it was books, always books. I could not imagine Adolf without books. He stacked them in piles around him. He had to have with him at his side the book he was currently working through. Even if he did not happen to be reading it just then, it had to be around. Whenever he went out, there would usually be a book under his arm. This was often a problem, for he would rather abandon nature and the open sky than the book.

Hitler was Veeky Forums

>Books were his whole world. In Linz, in order to procure the books he wanted, he had subscribed to three libraries. In Vienna he used the Hof Library so industriously that I asked him once in all seriousness whether he intended to read the whole library, which of course earned me some rude remarks

>Hardly anything would disturb him when he was reading, but sometimes he disturbed himself, for as soon as he opened a book he started talking about it, and I had to listen patiently whether I was interested in the subject or not. Every now and then, in Linz even more frequently than in Vienna, he would thrust a book into my hands and demand that I, as his friend, should read it.

>Adolf had an especially feel for poets and authors who had something of value to say to him. He never read books simply to pass the time; it was a deadly earnest occupation. I got that impression more than once. What an upset if I did not take his reading seriously enough and played the piano while he was studying.

>He was a seeker, certainly, but even in his books he found only what suited him. [...] I remember him in Vienna expounding his many problems and usually winding up with a reference to some book, 'You see, the man who wrote this is of exactly the same opinion as I am.'

Can't find it through Google either so whatevs.

The thing is who said it first?

Definitely a neitzche quote rip-off. Even if somebody else said it first, he was probably making a neitzche reference.

>progress
>leads nowhere
Sounds like a deluded autist to me.

I really want to read this book now. To me, it's remarkable not for some unprecedently candid portrayal of "the Hitler we never knew", because, frankly, I expected Hitler to be just the aspie spaz that Kubizek shows him to be. It is remarkable for Kubizek himself. Here is a guy who sympathetically and even lovingly brings back to life a person who doesn't seem to have been so easy to get along with, let alone love. And who can say they loved Hitler as he was--not just was in awe with him, followed him, was entranced by him, opportunistically or out of conviction supported him--but just be an honest friend way before it was worth being a friend of Hitler's?

>partially impair your perception
>this will lead you to truth
Shit analogy m8

hitler gay

>"In this emotional conflict, Adolf Hitler proved a reliable friend. He had put backbone into my idea of choosing music as my profession, and was very clever at how he went about making it possible. For the first and only time I discovered in him a quality of which I was unaware and which I never experienced in him later: patience."
p.79

>"One day he ranted at me: 'Now I am going to see if music is the witchcraft you always say it is!' and with these words he announced his decision to learn the piano, convinced that in no time at all he would have mastered it. [...] Here Adolf fell into a dilemma. He was far too proud simply to give up on an attempt by which he had set such store, but this stupid 'exercising the fingers' left him raging"
p.78

>"All the same, Adolf recognized my musical talent without the least envy, and rejoiced or suffered with me in my successes or setbacks as if they were applicable to himself. I found him very supporting and the great strength behind my ambition"
p.78>"One day he ranted at me: 'Now I am going to see if music is the witchcraft you always say it is!' and with these words he announced his decision to learn the piano, convinced that in no time at all he would have mastered it. [...] Here Adolf fell into a dilemma. He was far too proud simply to give up on an attempt by which he had set such store, but this stupid 'exercising the fingers' left him raging"
p.78

>"All the same, Adolf recognized my musical talent without the least envy, and rejoiced or suffered with me in my successes or setbacks as if they were applicable to himself. I found him very supporting and the great strength behind my ambition"
p.78

King of the NEET's

>"he was anxious to escape the atmosphere that prevailed at home. The idea that he, a young man of eighteen, should continue to be kept by his mother had become unbearable to him. On the one hand, he loved his mother above everything: she was the only person on earth to whom he felt really close, and she reciprocated his feeling to some extent, although she was deeply disturbed by her son's unusual nature, however proud she was at times of him. 'He is different from us,' she used to say"
p.124

>"At long last the great moment arrived. Adolf, beaming with delight, came to see me at the workshop, where we were very busy at that time. 'I'm leaving tomorrow,' he said briefly. He asked me to accompany him to the station, as he did not want his mother to come. I knew how painful it would have been for Adolf to take leave of his mother in front of other people. He disliked nothing more than showing his feelings in public"
p.127

>"His mother was crying and little Paula, whom Adolf had never bothered with much, was sobbing in a heart-rending manner. When Adolf caught up with me on the stairs and helped me with the suitcase, I saw that his eyes too were wet"
p.127

These ones are about a girl named Stefanie. Hitler and his friend (the author) would turn up at the river in Linz at 5pm each day to watch her and her mother walk past on their daily stroll.

>"I found out that Stefanie's mother was a widow and did, indeed, live in Urharr, and that the young man who occasionally accompanied them, to Adolf's great irritation, was her brother. But from time to time the two ladies were to be seen in the company of young officers. Poor, pallid youngsters like Hitler naturally could not hope to compete with these young lieutenants in their smart uniforms. Adolf felt this intensely and gave vent to his feelings with eloquence. His anger, in the end, led him into uncompromising enmity towards the officer class as a whole, and everything military in general"
p.67

>"To be sure, Stefanie had no idea how deeply Adolf was in love with her; she regarded him as a somewhat shy but, nevertheless, remarkably tenacious and faithful admirer. When she responded with a smile to his enquiring glance, he was happy and his mood became unlike anything I had ever observed in him [...] But when Stefanie, as happened just as often, coldly ignored his gaze, he was crushed and ready to destroy himself and the whole world"
p.67

>"I thought, for a long time, that Adolf was simply too shy to approach Stefanie. And yet, it was not shyness that held him back. His conception of the relationship between the sexes was already then so high that the usual way of making the acquaintance of a girl seemed to him undignified. As he was opposed to flirting in any form, he was convinced that Stefanie had no other desire but to wait until he should come to ask her to marry him. I did not share this conviction at all, but Adolf, as was his habit with all problems that agitated him, had already made an elaborate plan"
p.69

>"And this girl, who was a stranger to him and had never exchanged a word with him, succeeded where his father, the school and even his mother had failed: he drew up and exact programme for his future which would enable him, after four years, to ask for Stefanie's hand. We discussed this difficult problem for hours, with the result that Adolf commissioned me to collect further information about Stefanie"
p.69

>"'Stefanie is fond of dancing. If you want to conquer her, you will have to dance around just as aimlessly and idiotically as the others.' That was all that was needed to set him off raving. 'No, no, never!' he screamed at me, 'I shall never dance! Do you understand! Stefanie only dances because she is forced to by society on which she unfortunately depends. Once she is my wife, she won't have the slightest desire to dance!'"
p.71

>"Adolf went on brooding for days and weeks, trying to find a solution. In his depressed mood, he hit on a crazy idea: he seriously contemplated kidnapping Stefanie. He expounded his plan to me in all its deails and assigned me my role, which was not a very rewarded one for I had to keep the mother engaged in conversation whilst he seized the girl."
p.71

>"'You can see that she wants you to talk to her,' I said to my friend. 'Tomorrow,' he answered. But the morrow never came, and weeks, months and years passed without his taking any steps to change this state of affairs which caused him so much unrest"
p.74

>"Instinctively the young Hitler found the only correct attitude in his love for Stefanie: he possessed a being whom he loved, and at the same time, he did not possess her. He arranged his whole life as though this beloved was already entirely his. But, as he himself avoided any personal meeting, this girl, although he could see that she walked the earth, remained a created of his dream world, towards whom he could project his desires, plans and ideas"
p.75

>He arranged his whole life as though this beloved was already entirely his. But, as he himself avoided any personal meeting, this girl, although he could see that she walked the earth, remained a created of his dream world, towards whom he could project his desires, plans and ideas"

Hitler was literally a jobless forever-alone Veeky Forums NEET who had a waifu in the 1930s

Wow, he was an actual turbo-autist

Keep in mind this was 16-20 year old Hitler prior to his WW1 service.

Bonus

>"At the beginning of February, Adolf returned to Vienna. His address remained the same, he told me when he left [...] I helped him carry his luggage to the station, four cases altogether unless I mistaken, every one of them very heavy. I asked him what they contained, and he answered 'all of my belongings'. They were almost entirely books."
p.147

>"Gradually I came to realise that all my efforts were wasted. Even if I had managed to persuade Adolf to submit his drawings or his literary work to a newspaper editor or publisher, he would soon have quarrelled with his employer, for he could never tolerate any interference with his work, and it would presumably make no difference that he was getting paid for it. He simply could no bear taking orders from people, for he received enough orders from himself."
p.177

>He simply could no bear taking orders from people, for he received enough orders from himself
Its bad when you get feels from Hitler

>"He wallowed deeper and deeper in self-criticism. Yet it only needed the lightest touch - as when one flicks on the light and everything becomes brilliantly clear - for his self-accusation to become an accusation against the times, against the whole world. Choking with his catalogue of hates, he would pour his fury over everything, against mankind in general who did not understand him, who did not appreciate him and by whom he was persecuted"
p.158 / 159

>"Adolf set great store by good manners and correct behaviour. He observed with painstaking punctiliousness the rules of social conduct, however little he thought of society itself"
p.38

>"People who knew him in Vienna could not understand the contradiction between his well-groomed appearance, his educated speech and his self-assured bearing on the one hand, and the starveling existence that he led on the other, and judged him either haughty or pretentious. He was neither. He just did not fit into any bourgeois order"
p.38

>"There was a strange contradiction which always struck me: all his thoughts and ambitions were directed towards the problem of how to help the masses, the simple, the decent but under-priveleged people with whom he identified himself - they were ever-present in his thoughts - but in actual fact he always avoided any contact with people"
p.164

Hitler was an esports lover, please stop spreading this propaganda that he liked books.

>implying he wasn't part of the pc master race

>this thread

Ending of the book had me in tears