James Cameron: "We should eat less meat and dairy to reach climate goals"

nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11953603

>"Animal agriculture is choking the Earth, and the longer we turn a blind eye, the more we limit our ability to nourish ourselves, protect waterways and habitats, and pursue other uses of our precious natural resources."

>Cameron said raising livestock for meat, eggs and milk generates 14.5 per cent of global greenhouse gas emissions, the second highest source of emissions and greater than all transportation combined. It also used about 70 per cent of agricultural land, and is one of the leading causes of deforestation, biodiversity loss, and water pollution.

>"On top of this, eating too much meat and dairy is making us sick, greatly increasing our risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, several major cancers and obesity."

Is he right? Should we be eating less meat and dairy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cRmwobXCc4c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

James Cameron should make less crappy movies to reach climate goals

Should Veeky Forums try to make a movie?
(actually I would pay to see that)

Yes

Why make public comments like that? Just lobby the goverment to tax meat industry more which raises the prices and results in less people eating meat.

The earth has shat on humans since we existed. Being eatnlen by bears and shit, earthquakes, freezing to death etc. Payback is a bitch.

we don't need to tax them, we just need to subsidize them and the corn industry less so people pay closer to the true price of red meat

This is entirely correct.

Climate change will negatively affect humans too dumbass.

At least we will go down swinging.

>yes, goy. no more meat and dairy. we don't want your white children to grow TOO tall and strong.

We should kill James Cameron to reach climate goals. The airplane rides saved for every multi-millionaire murdered allows literally 1000s of people to eat steaks.

Save the environment, shoot smug rich fucks.

Please let democrats get a majority in US congress and do this. I want to see Trump win again, it was too much fun the last time.

This. The elite are busying trying to have us live lives with nothing enjoyable while they pollute way more than the average person.

Not in my lifetime.

No you stupid goy we get to live in mansions and own private jets and you get to pay carbon taxes and live in a shitty apartment!

>lobby the goverment to tax meat industry more

No need to tax them. Just cut off their subsidies. American citizens are struggling - why should our tax dollars prop up an industry that can’t turn a profit?

Maybe he should not talk submarine trips to the marianas trench for “research” I’m sure that fuel energy could have been put to better use.

yes & no; personally i would like 2 eat lab grown meat instead of animal meat when it becomes affordable & doesn't taste like shit

That rich hollywood fuck can suck my dick.

>"eating too much meat and dairy is greatly increasing our risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and obesity"
No, actually, eating too much carbohydrates is doing that. People who eat ketogenic diets have no risk of diabetes and those who had type 2 before starting actually recover, they experience fat loss and lean muscle growth, and lower their blood cholesterol levels. And this is with eating primarily proteins and fats.

>everyone else should stop eating meat.

>I shouldnt stop my retarded ventures to find the earth's massive ocean vagina producing exponentially more carbon emissions than a small town.

Beef doesn't receive any direct subsidies. Corn and soy do, but that's also because they are the basic food ingredients for lots of stuff.

Also who the fuck cares what the normiest, shittiest director of the last 30 yeears has to say

Let's be honest, if this quote was coming from someone with a squeaky clean record of environmentalism, you'd still find a way to ignore the actual argument.

No such thing as a squeaky clean environmentalist. They all stink from trying to conserve water

All right I'll give you a pass for that one.

We
*Buys a private yacht*
Must
*Buys a private jet*
Stop
*Buys 10 cars*
Polution

It's kinda funny that pompous jackass James Cameron would make such an insane comment like this, knowing full well that he himself represents almost 30% of global greenhouse gas emisions to date...
Fucker just needs to shut the fuck up already...

Excuse me he's richer and more famous than you'll ever be so that must mean he's right.

you find me a single famous person that's become an environmentalist and there is no link to profit for them, i'll change my opinion

Lol. Not to mention that Titanic and Avatar are themselves pollution.

What is your opinion beyond "I won't address this person's argument because they're a hypocrite" and why does it matter if it's a famous person? If some self-sufficient farmer from the middle of nowhere offers you the same opinion as Cameron, will you just ignore his argument because he hasn't killed himself in order to decrease human consumption?

I agree that Cameron's one of the last people on earth who should publicly run his mouth on decreasing consumption of resources but it doesn't mean he's wrong.

Not the user you tagged, but the problem the Cameron is two things
> 1) What he said is not the whole picture because while factory farming is bad livestock are absolutely necessary for a sustainable agronomy system that doesn't rely on pharma-petro-fertilizer complex
>2) if Cameron had any real interest, ideas, or solutions to the problem he would put his money there instead of just talking the talk.
It's pretty clear he just read an article or watched some doc at a film festival and then ran off at the mouth.

Absolutely fucking this
All this campaigning is literally meant to condition the average prole to live a life of austerity as the rich anticipate the wealth divide to keep growing and the middle class to entirely disappear.
Meanwhile the faggots making statements like this are taking private jets all over the place and are generally far more wasteful than the average person.
This and the 'the west needs to get used to eating insects' shit make me sick. No wonder they're so eager to import third-worlders, they're used to awful conditions so keeping them complacent with bread and circus is cheaper.
Instead of allowing populations to naturally decrease, easing the overcrowding of major cities and making property cheaper, they flood them with more people. Fags like Cameron love preaching open borders and taking in refugees.
Meanwhile a lot of them are anti-nuclear power, something that would actually make life better for people and support a larger population cheaper.

not a vegetarian
...but cheap meat is a problem. people don't NEED meat, and if they want it, they should be able to pay for it

Everyone should just switch to an insectivore diet. A lot more efficient than red meat.

Nah the stuff about the "environment" is largely over exaggerated. Irl nature heals quickly. Do you know there are old fucks living in Chernobyl right fucking now?

Amusing anecdote, amigo. To follow suit, most people who have heart disease, type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol are not eating carbs by themselves. They layer their triple double super mcsuper baconslammer with extra beef between to piece of shit buns. If you want to blame carbs, at least make a constructive argument. Wouldn't expect you to support yourself with a study since you're wrong anyway.

Are those really big bugs or a small plate?

The self-sufficient farmer is also a hypocrite because their methods can in no way support a large civilized society. Their methods use too much land for too little yield. Saying someone is immoral because they don't follow your own selfish methods is hypocrisy.

really big bugs on a small plate

>What he said is not the whole picture because while factory farming is bad livestock are absolutely necessary for a sustainable agronomy system that doesn't rely on pharma-petro-fertilizer complex

To get rid of fossil fertilizer you need to close the loop and animals don't help there, only human sewage composting can do that. Composting can take care of scrap as well.

The only thing you really need animals for is ez mode diet. Vegan with only local produce would require very careful planning and some technology for supplementation.

Waiting for someone to suggest that we should stop supporting uncontrollable population growth in Africa and let them negroes die if they can't support themselves. To reach climate goals.

You literal retard animals close the loop. They mow your front lawn and then shit fertilizer for your garden.

Trips of truth...

Wouldn't going into overdrive eating cows help with climate goals? The problem is shit like Hindus refusing to let cows get slaughtered, so they just eat and fart constantly, which makes up a massive proportion of the methane fucking up the ozone layer.

>m-muh negroes
Fucking faggot. The africunts consume almost no ressources, since they eat literal rat stew due to poverty. Meanwhile we consume as much ressources as billions of them. I hate this kind of scapegoating.

The bigger issue is how inefficient it is to raise them. It takes a lot more energy to raise cows than grow crops becuase to raise cows you first have to grow crops to feed the cows. You lose a ton of energy in heat loss from that transfer.

Just supposed things like cultured/lab-grown meat and developing technology that can better deal with pollution.

>eating too much meat and dairy is making us...obese
Losing weight will help with all the other health problems he mentions, and it's not like vegetarian/vegan foods can't be high in calories. You can make cookies with vegetable oil instead of butter and they're suddenly vegan, but it doesn't make them healthier if you're eating 20 of them every day.

>Just supposed things
support*

Doesn't a protruding stomach like that usually mean he's on steroids or something?

that looks both inedible and good

Another lie.
China and India produce more CO2 than the rest of hte world, we could shut down everything and they'd still produce 80% of the problem.
Don't listen to media telling you we must do shit, it's literally not our problem at the moment.

>le insect are good meme
then you have to remember half of their mass is chitin, "high in calories" but not digested. And the rest is 50% feces since insects are just a big digestive system on legs.

Pregnant.

Impoverished countries produce the most environmentally polluting regions.

>one of the best directors of all time
>less crappy movies
yeah ok guy

Is this b8? His movies are normie trash. None of his characters are nuanced or interesting. None of his plots are driven by character development. None of his plots are cohesive or interesting. None of his movies say anything

Watch this vid youtube.com/watch?v=cRmwobXCc4c

around 32:50 is the most relevant

>None of his characters are nuanced or interesting.
Sarah Connor - waitress turned military bad ass. That's not interesting to you? As for nuance, it depends on what your merits are.

>None of his plots are driven by character development.
See above.

>None of his plots are cohesive or interesting.
While other movies treated it as a gimmick, Terminator raised interesting questions about fate and time travel. It also single-handedly elevated robots from "danger Will Robinson!" to deadly assassins.

>None of his movies say anything
Yeah...now you're just trolling. Of course they say something.

Damn this dude hit the nail on the head.

>Muh turminator is deeeep
Seriously, r*ddit?

Also, blade runner beat him to the Android assassin thing by a long shot. With nuance, class, and actually visually intriguing cinematography.

Oh fuck off. On the one hand you claim whites are superior to blacks by intellect and Asians by empathy and on the other you think physical superiority over the other races is something to strive for. What kind of war can you envision in the modern era that will remotely depend on the diet of the civilian population.

You don't give any compelling arguments. I'll go argue with more intelligent people. Later.

>normie xDD
neck yourself

>BTFO this hard
Lol

Blade Runner is the shit, but if you're going to complain about reddit, then I've got news for you.

If you stopped eating meat you'd save enough per year to take a trip to a Greek island and live in a great hotel for a week at least, eating whatever the fuck you want.

The man isn't always working against you, dude.

Mostly just memeing anons shallow choice in sci-fi. I'm well aware there's a strong devotion to blade runner on there too.

Meat is the cheapest food and protein source there is dummy.

Oh no, the green revolution is coming to an end and shitloads of people are going to die.

Do not have children, people. None of us are special and we all come from the same shitty place.

The petri dish is getting full.

You can like terminator and blade runner at the same time, though. Thinking one is superior is the shallow opinion.

Because its so heavily subsidized. Now that you've proven without a doubt you have no idea what you are talking about, please remove yourself from this thread.

I hate James Cameron, (((Them))), and most of you, but this shit is way out of hand, yeah he's right.

how much meat do you eat because I'm currently spending less than 10 euros per week in meet so unless I go to Greece by foot you are just delusional.

>we
stop acting like I know you or care about anything you do
you aren't my family, or friend, so stop including me as though you know me

humans aren't some kind of "all in this together" collective
the only people you have a responsibility to are yourself and your children until they are old enough to take care of themselves

Are you baiting ? Of course they have the most polluted land, we won't pollute our own land. That's why we send our discarded electronics to india for example.

I like Star wars and Indiana Jones but I'm not throwing George Lucas in the greatest director category. My point is that James Cameron has never made a movie of serious artistic merit.

>serious artistic merit.
not worth arguing and even if it was, it wouldn't go anywhere

i, for one, think t2 is one of the best movies ever made. the abyss is pretty good, too.

It would be cheap no matter what. The subsidies make it REALLY cheap, but any animal that's eats grass and makes milk and meat is going to give you a great bang for your buck in terms of calories per dollar and nutrients.

Do you think that's an energy efficient loop?

For the record I'm not against keeping animals for toiling or dairy. Only meat. I think we can strike a balance between a completely vegan lifestyle and where we are now. Even if it means a monthly meat feast.

See link here
It's a lot more efficient than people realize. There is a reason our ancestors invested so much time and effort into ruminates

What? Cheaper than lentils or grains? No way. Not even cheaper than dairy or eggs. Maybe cheaper than nuts but not in terms of resources, only the efficiency we've engineered due to our consumption.

You're eating a steak a week. Good for you, that seems about sustainable. Most Pepe I know spend up to $100 per week on meat. Saving $3-4000 a year by switching diets isn't that unreasonable.

why would anyone ever care about any opinion any artist ever has when it is unrelated to entertainment?

It's a lot cheaper to stuff them with corn instead of grass though.

Dude watch the vid. Meat is highly economical not a luxury food. They make food out of food we can't eat. All of the problems with the modern meat industry are derived from it's reliance on grain. It would follow that going to a more extreme grain model is going to increase our problems.

Yes and no. It's higher yielding but corn costs a lot more than grass even with subsidies. Did you know that the vast majority of beef in the u.s. is primarily raised on open range to this day? And that the animal will typically spend less than a quarter of it's life on a feed lot being grain finished?

Huh, I did not, that's interesting. I knew that the point was that corn fattened them faster, but not that they only do it at the end.

They just return the nutrients from the plant matter they ate, composting and earthworms do the same thing.

Yeah the real efficiency of the beef industry comes from it's complex system of specialized producers. There are producers that breed a lot of cattle then sell em off quick to bottle and bucket guys who will raise em a little bit then sell them to guys who run the big ranges when they are old enough who sell them in big lot auctions off to the feed lots like Harris ranch. Ever wonder why rodeos are still big? Because there is still a community of working cowboys to run all the range cattle. In all likelihood the beef on your plate has been owned by at least three producers in it's life.

Eat composting and worms then.

I'll watch the video once I'm back on Wi-Fi. But I can guarantee you that eating a lot of meat can never be more economical than plant sources over a large enough population. If you live around a pasturable land that can't be used for farming, then sure but otherwise I doubt it.

Wouldn't the bigger companies want to buy out some of that supply chain for vertical integration?

You only need composting for scrap if you don't raise animals specifically for meat, you could feed the scrap to animals too though if you wanted ... but scrap only wouldn't feed a lot of animals.

Point is, animals aren't necessary to fertilize farm land.

How the actual fuck do you cut out dairy? You have to cut out most sugary things which is fine, but then I have stuff like cereal every day and I don't even know how I could replace them.

Right, you just said it yourself
>If you live around rangeland
Do you know how much of the world is naturally supposed to be rangeland? Do you know how many tons of sequestration all that PERMANENT pasture contains? Row cropping is a destructive man-made creation by nature. It
>Releases carbon from the ground
>Using diesel guzzling machine monsters
>Destroys and consumes life from the soil
>Uses poisons to kill unwanted plant and animal life
>Relies on more diesel guzzling machines to seed, apply fertilizers, and apply poisons.
Rangeland raised ruminates need
>Pasture made up of a living community composed of
>Diverse local fauna and flora
>Soil teaming with microbial life and insect life
>It will never die
>Is self sustainable
And you receive milk, meat, and hide.

Land is very capital intensive and you aren't going to make enough extra profit to pay it off at a reasonable enough amount of money. Remember cattle sell in cents per pound so it's not exactly a cash rich business where margins are fat.

At around 10x the calorie output per acre of pure corn vs corn fed beef it wouldn't make any real difference.

Hey, genius, the earth has killed 99% of the living stuff on it.

Polluting, and climate change, and all that? Not helping us at all. Abrupt climate change is terrible for megafauna, have you seen any mammoth recently? Yeah, they were megafauna.

Want to know something funny? Anything bigger than a deer is megafauna. We are megafauna, great apes to be exact. So reenacting the permian-triassic mass extinction, abridged version? Not the smartest idea humanity has had.

He's rich and famous, that must mean he is a hypocrite, a thief, a vile creature leeching off the labour and toil of the working man, and hoping to make us weak and subservient so we might never unite and take our rightful place on earth.

The thing that surprises me is that the US right are the ones claiming half of this stuff. Rip irony: 500 bc; 2016 ad

Full subversion my dude.

> Meanwhile we consume as much ressources as billions of them

This is the issue. Our lifestyles of clean water, fresh food, electricity, etc. is so polluting so why are we told we have to support them until they're like that too? Africa's population is exploding. Until Europeans found them there was like a few million at a time, now there's a billion south of the Sahara and that number is only rising.