E-Readers

Any of you fags use ereaders?
Was it worth it?
Been thinking about getting one recently
Trying to save money so I'm a bit hesitant
But I guess overall it should be cheaper than buying books
Which one to get?

Buy one and downloads the books for free on the internet. You will save a lot of money, trust me.
I own a Paperwhite Kindle and i'm perfectly happy with it

Yeah that's what I was thinking
After 10 books I'd basically have the cost of the Kindle covered
Amazon has some proprietary ebook format though, no?

Yes but it's very easy to convert and you can read PDFs on kindle

if i got the paperwhite with special offers
would it be possible to somehow hack it and stop it from showing the special offers?

You can pay $20 to make the special offers go away, but then your monthly amount of allowed page swipes goes down by 200. So it's really a pain either way

I don't think so. It's best to just get one with special offers regardless as you can choose to remove them any time for the same price difference.

I had a Paperwhite 2 without the ads. After that died because of rain leaking into my backpack I got a Paperwhite 3 with the ads. The ads aren't intrusive at all and from time to time it's entertaining to laugh at the authors trying to peddle their d-grade romantic fanfics on Amazon.

>allowed page swipes goes down by 200
what
is that some kind of joke?

It's really annoying. You can buy 100 page swipes for $5 if you run out but with the added cost you may as well be buying a paperback.

hella fuckin epic my friend

I have a Kindle Paperwhite (Special Offers edition, though I was able to disable them for free by contacting Amazon support because the offers aren't valid in my country). I love it. It's lightweight, I can read it in total darkness or in plain sunlight, I have a shit ton of books, the dictionaries are immensely useful as I'm constantly reading in foreign languages, and I like highlighting shit and taking notes. And of course I saved an insane amount of money pirating ebooks like there's no tomorrow.

>you can read PDFs on kindle
Kind of sort of but not really, or am I missing something? I thought you couldn't adjust size on the Kindle, so most PDFs end up waaaaaay too small to read.

OP, anyway, e-readers are great -- convenient, easy to use, and tons of free stuff available. To get around Kindle's proprietary format, use Calibre to convert (it's great, it's well supported, and it's free).

used a paperwhite after a while but got bored of it and went back to physical

thought i liked ereaders more than i liked physical, until i went back too physical after using e-readers for a while

plus, how will everyone know which big book im reading if i read using an e-reader? im just bein honest...

i had mine on airplane mode and torrented my books and never had any ads

i guess its different if you buy e-books, in which case, lmao at u desu fampai

Paperwhite, but I'm using the Kindle app on my phone lately because my freetime has vanished and the train is the only moment I have to myself and it's convenient.

To experience the full patrician pirate lifestyle, change the location of your Calibre library to a GDrive folder. Now your ebook collection is no longer tied to a specific computer. Pretty comfy desu.

>GDrive folder.
15GB limit. Pretty pleb desu.

There's no way you're gonna read more than 15 GB of 45kb epubs in your lifetime anyway famalam.

Semi-related, anyone know where I can get a .mobi of Salem's Lot?

you can just message support and say the offers don't appeal to you and they will remove them instantly

I have a nook glowlight and it's great. It has no ads and reads epubs. You can pick one up for $50, which is the cost of a couple books. I only had one issue where the screen broke, (I guess I dropped it? I don't remember being rough with it) however Barnes and noble sent out another one. Size wise it could be a bit taller, but I actually like the fat bezels because they have better ergonomics. Getting books off libgen or irc is somewhat annoying, but still much better than having to pay for books and wait for delivery. Personally I can't stand physical books. They are heavy, take up a lot of space, and the pages always fold back in the beginning.

I told them their offers didn't work out for me, said something about living in another country for a while, and they wiped out all of them immediately.

libgen
b-ok
bookz irc

Kobo aura ONE. Really happy with it. You will get your money back in no time.

You will probably also start reading more. I take the thing almost everywhere with me and just read books instead of wasting time on my phone.

Really? They do something that you would normal have to pay £10 for so simply and freely?

There is a free program called briss that crops PDFs for you. Headers, footers, margins, whatever. Landscape mode ok the kindle too.

Get paperwhite ignore the rest. trust me. download free Calibre software to convert anything to kindle format and ure good to go.

Just saw that the current Paperwhite ahs been out since June 2015
Shouldn't there be a new model coming soon? Would it have significant improvements?

True patrician reads with an e-reader. Having physical copies is cool and all but the pros outweigh the cons.

I actually noticed that I started reading much more when I got an ereader
Something about being able to get practically any book instantly (for free) is very satisfying

picked up a kindle paperwhite with -50 euros discount during prime day. loving it

>99,9% of all the 1 star reviews on Amazon are people complaining about the kindle version
no thanks

I think I can spare 1-3 hours of pay a month for books and so should you.

>not downloading ebooks
??? plus just go to the library and get $1.50 in late fees

Other than airplane mode, not yet.

Another option is to simply pay the $20 later. Your Account -> Content and devices -> Your Devices -> Actions ...

From there you can opt out and pay.

I guess considering I won't be using it with WiFi at all and instead will be just transferring books from my comp, I might as well get the special offers version

I'm thinking of buying one and doing the same thing.

Looks like a good price, especially when I already have Prime and get the free shipping.

Why buy a Kobo Aura Edition 2 when it's smaller and more expensive than a Paperwhite?

It doesn't even have expandable storage.

>implying you shouldnt have reams of archaeological pdfs and hundreds of books in case piracy gets clamped down on

Tell them you bought it for GRANDMA and the ads will just get in the way of her fat fingers. Worked like a charm for me.

Holy fucking shit what a bunch of cheap fucks around here.

Yes, Amazon actually sells books. Like, for money. Fucking buy them for the ten quid or less they cost. What are you throwing your goddamn money on that you can't afford a damn book?

BTT: Got a Kindle Paperwhite and I'm pretty happy with it. Depending on the title, X-RAY is either a big pile of horseshit or very handy. I'm also a non-native speaker so I like the built-in dictionary too.

Still, it ain't a real book and you can't flip through it. Don't know about you guys but I need that flipping sometimes. Nice for finding some passage quickly (even though the KIndle got a decent search function)

I'm not paying for an electronic version of something written hundreds of years ago. If I absolutely have to buy an ebook I'm not getting DRM bullshit.

I got a used paperwhite on goodwill.com for $40 shipped.

Def worth it, works perfectly, and I just download books from libgen

What happened to Kobo? They used to make the Glo HD and the new equivalent model is factually worse than it.

just download epub and use Calibre to convert to amazon format, it worked for me, i own a Kindle.

Yet here you are :^)

kobo hd, because I travel a lot.The screen is pretty good in daylight but in the dead of night a yellow tinge to the built in screen-light doesn't provide quite enough contrast for effortless reading. It's heavier and thicker than I expected and the square cornered design isn't 100% comfortable. On the plus side - It's waterproof! It reads most formats. You can remove headers & footers (book title, page number) for distraction free reading. The lock screen shows the cover of the book you are currently reading. It has more than enough storage.
Overall I'm happy. The technology hasn't peaked yet so I imagine I'll buy an updated version withing the next few years.

Carta and HD Carta e-ink displays.

Perhaps too expensive for them to offer affordably.

They seem to be losing a race with Amazon.

>i love sucking corporate dick