Want to write for the sake of writing

>want to write for the sake of writing
>have no life experience or knowledge to write about
>all i can write is surface level ripoffs of other writers i've read and i'm not interested in doing some memey postmodernist collage

how the fuck do i get a subject to write about? nobody wants to read about a depressed middle class white kid who spent his life playing video games and reading books

You find frogs funny. Just fuck off

You might need to do something drastic like move to another country to teach English, get into an intense manual labor job, join the militar, start committing (non-violent) crimes like selling drugs, etc. You have to push the envelope a little bit to have authentic experience.

Joining literary groups and so on will help, but in the end, you will have to pursue uncomfortable and uncommon experiences.

let the world treat you like shit. get uncomfortable. stop reading WH40K books and learn something. go outside. lift weights. become invested in the greek meme, then follow them up through romans and christianity to the present. read the postmoderns but keep an eye on the past; they don't know their place.

if all that's in your head is fantasy tropes, you're only going to be able to write using fantasy tropes.

write well-researched historical fiction. nobody alive has personal experience with past societies if you go back far enough, so you're on common ground relatively. this is my plan. you can also try sci-fi or any more speculative fiction.

You might want to start unironically writing fanfic.

This. Because this:

>if all that's in your head is fantasy tropes, you're only going to be able to write using fantasy tropes.

It seems like you were lying in your premise my man. You want to write for the sake of being Veeky Forums and so are frustrated your normal fare is not enough. Fanfic is still writing. Writing with training wheels if you like, but we all start somewhere. The jump from non-writer to writing meaningful stories is incredibly difficult, especially for consumers. As the man said:

>some will give up for it is easier to kiss the lover than become one

And as the other man said:

>To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

There's a way out of your situation waiting to be found. If that's not worth writing about; I don't know what is. Imagination also isn't bound to experience.

Who are some of your favorite authors of the genre? I am largely unfamiliar with historical fiction but I really like Mary Renault's works and Louis L'Amour's The Walking Drum? Any recommendations, particularly for anything more like The Walking Drum if you know it?

write about frogs

I haven't really read much from writers specializing in historical fiction. Mika Waltari is good. For medieval adventure, The Long Ships is maybe similar to the L'Amour book. There's also Bernard Cromwell's Saxon/Grail Quest series. Less adventurous ones are The Sunne in Splendour, Les rois maudits, Kristin Lavransdatter.

>nobody wants to read about a depressed middle class white kid who spent his life playing video games and reading books

i want

>nobody wants to read about a depressed middle class white kid who spent his life playing video games and reading books
ur wrong

The point of fiction is to make shit up. Next time you come across something you like in any medium think how you could take that and put a spin on it or combine it with something else you like. There's infinite shit to write about.

>fantasy tropes
i don't read genre fiction. i'm an english major. i've read the greeks. i've read the major postmodernists. i exercise. none of this is material for me to write about.

you do realise it is possible to write a great novel imbued with your life experiences, thoughts, dreams etc. without it literally being about your life?

Dont be so harsh at yourself, OP, to find a topic to write about it and "feel good" while doing it so is hard.
Keep trying, you soon will find something, and maybe you could try some experiments.
My suggestion, no joke, I write some fanfic or two. It helps your writting and creativity without putting your future carrear of millions of prizes at risk

Is to write*
Fucking brain stop it.

>>nobody wants to read about a depressed middle class white kid who spent his life playing video games and reading books

Also not true. Some famous books are pretty much this from older days

sorry man, i don't know what to tell you aside from what's already been said. get some experience. consider screenwriting. that shit is FREQUENTLY wrong about real life because the author needed it to work a certain way. experiment with characters and plot. stop reading Veeky Forums and start putting together what you do know in creative ways.

I'm in the same boat as you OP, but I spent some time writing an autobiographical short story and through that realized that I did have some interesting things happen to me. You could try making a list of things that have happened to you, values you have, opinions you have, people you've known, etc., and see if any patterns crop up. Besides:

This isn't true at all, if you write it well.

That is why I am writing stories set in a pseudo-Nordic age with dragons and gold and trolls. ;^) No exp. needed!