>did not start with the greeks
>jumped straight to Kant, Hume, Hegel, Heidegger, Deleuze, and NEETshe,
>understand every single word
"start with the greeks" is just a meme for brain/lit/s

Other urls found in this thread:

firstthings.com/article/2012/08/unsustainable-liberalism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsh_Chapel_Experiment
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You only think you understand, I can assure you if you jump to neechee without reading Homer first you're missing out on major concepts. Read the allegory of the cave friend.

understanding Heidegger without understanding Greek is pretty pro, especially since he didn't really speak German.

where 2 start with greeks

Same question. I just finished The Republic and frankly I was bored to tears. Either it was too simple or I am too simple.

You're supposed to ENJOY the greeks not get a fucking philosophical grounding you imbecile.

Where do I start if I want to do that then?
Interested in liberalism. Read Road to Serfdom but I feel I want to go deeper than reactionary books

Homer.

user it doesn't matter if you know what the words mean, you gotta read the Greeks if you're gonna start understanding sentences boi.

Wat if I just post the start with the greeks meme because I love classic literature and I want more people to discuss it with?

The Apology.

then you post aristophanes and lucian threads and see if anyone wants to play high level bantz

Fuck you, this isn't a game.

homer > hesiod >major plays (aeschylus > sophocles > euripides > aristophanes) > herodotus and thucydides > presocratics > sophists > socrates > plato > aristotle

there is sappho, xenophon and some others somewhere but I haven't read those.

if you jumped straight to the republic, of course you were bored, you had no context, no background...the essential, very least you should read is homer, then at least some easy plato dialogues, the his dialogues about socrates. its the only way to enjoy the greeks thoroughly and to actually understand them and those that come next. for instance, plato often mentions the playwrights.

>aeschylus before Herodotus.
>sophocles, euripides and aristophanes before Thucydides.

Ideally you'd do both.

>Reading Heidegger without Aristotle
>ISHYGDDT

>euripides>aristophanes
kek is euripides' ghost loose?

What translation of Herodotus should I get?

>Read the allegory of the cave friend.
did quick youtube search and saw this. nope

>Read the allegory of the cave friend.
Jesus christ what is this sixth grade the tread?

David Grene

I'd plant my testicle in the ground next to her if you know what i mean. Flying acorns.

If you want to go deeper than reactionary books, you should read the primary sources. Hobbes' Leviathan and Locke's Second Treatise are essential, but maybe not the best place to start. Locke, in particular, is kind of a bore.

If you're interested in liberalism, it might be useful to bookend the entire project with Machiavelli's Prince and Discourses on Livy (to answer the question: Why is a society geared towards security and profit good?) and then Tocqueville's Democracy in America (to answer the question: Once we have a society geared towards security and profit, what are its failures?) Since DiA is fucklong, you can read some excerpts from part 2 on the social state to get a feeling for what Tocqueville dislikes about democracy (though he is, in the final analysis, a fan). I don't usually recommend reading excerpts rather than entire books, but if you're starting and trying to get a handle on a field, it might be helpful.

If you want stuff that's unabashedly right-wing without being "muh redpill," I heartily recommend reading Catholics. Their religion causes them both to push back against contemporary liberal orthodoxy while also avoiding the out-and-out idolatry of so much hard-right thought (no Odin or race worship here. If that's your thing, cool bro, but if it's not: the arms of the church are open.) Alasdair Macintyre and Patrick Deneen are contemporary Catholic writers on liberalism and its failures. Macintyre is more philosophical, Deneen more political. This is an excellent essay by Deneen on why liberalism fucks itself so heavily: firstthings.com/article/2012/08/unsustainable-liberalism

Finally, John Stuart Mill's On Liberty is a book that everyone's forced to read and that I hated for awhile. I re-read it recently and felt like crying: he defends aspects of liberalism that are lost to us. There's a lot of bad and good in JS Mill: on the one hand, he says that we should engage in "experiments in living" (transgenderism, anyone?) but he strenuously defends free speech with an ardor not often found anymore.

If you read only one author from this entire list, I recommend Machiavelli.

You start with the Greeks so that you don't have to read anything else. Congratulations on wasting your time.

You should try mushrooms at least once in your life. 9/10 people who do it say that it was the single most important and/or influential event in their lives.
They were perfectly legal until UN banned them in 1950s.

You need to start with the Greeks to understand New Testament, and you need to read New Testament to understand the Old Testament.
Whoever this God guy is, He didn't make it simple.

please remove the vuvuzela from your anus if you want to prove you're not gay before trying to ask me for my nephew's school fees, socrates.

Brekekek, that boy is the face on the back of my head. Your mouth better be zippy around thippe.

>lying on the internet

I've heard about Prince and Leviathan. Think I'll read Locke once I'm done with the Apology. Is there any reason to load myself down with the Greeks first? I didn't glean much from The Republic as I found myself uninterested in most of his dystopia ramblings and theocratic ideas, but finally reading the Allegory was worth it. I don't want to slog through another book just for excerpts

>first book since high school is complete works of hegel
>didn't even look up any words
is he supposed to be difficult or something

>single most important thing in their life
Could you imagine living a life so devoid of meaning that an artificial revelation moment is the biggest moment?
Maybe they asked them like 20 minutes after the trip or something but I find it hard to believe anybody would look at a trip from a month out and be like "yeah that was the moment"

>"artifical" revalation

wat

>brainlets thinking that you need to read everything Greek
Iliad, Odyssey, Plato's dialogs, some Aristotle and the Three Tragedians and Sappho are enough.

>Froggy fellows; but that's the polite term.

Most people that parrot the shrooms meme are high schoolers or college students who never did drugs or drank in high school.

Most normal adults know a whimsical night on shrooms doesn't change your life. You can get the same feeling by having a terrible reaction to a Z-Pac. it's a mix of the food poisoning and and chemical imbalance giving you a feeling of anxiety that makes simple things comforting. A person may begin to express more loving sentiments towards family members and friends and see simple joys as big things and former needs as petty.

But it has nothing to do with shrooms. And it's a feeling that will likely go away within weeks or months if the person is the type of idiot that reads into shit like that. You have to figure, many of these people are fucking losers or poorly adjusted to begin with, the type to read a horoscope in the morning and ACTUALLY let it affect them. These people take these feelings they can't specify along with these "lessons" and "revelations" and can run with them because thats just their personality.

Any well adjusted person will tell you "yeah that was pretty crazy I saw X, I did Y" but they don't sit there saying "it was life changing man."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsh_Chapel_Experiment

You get what you give when it comes to psychedelics. And it has nothing to do with food poisoning, do some fucking research.

>implying self-reporting is in any way accurate
absolutely haram

>And it has nothing to do with food poisoning, do some fucking research.
I think you should, summerchild. You're clearly just a booty blasted sophomore who thought he had an incredible life-altering moment.

To be honest, the roundabout way you apparently have to work through philosophy to actually understand it and it's context in the principal reason I've never bothered with it.

When you have countless other things to study, it is hard to justify such a "digression."

>Catholics
>pushing back against contemporary liberal orthodoxy

Top kek, if you want to study a religion that actually does this, you should study Islam.

>This high scooler thinks semantic divergence is an actual difference

Look just because people don't call alcohol a poison doesn't mean it isn't a poison. Definition wise mushrooms are poisonous. THat doesn't mean deathly, that doesn't mean bad for you (though even you would likely agree eating mushrooms every day multiple times would not be advisable.)

You saying "it has nothing to do with food poisoning" is tantamount to saying "pot isn't a drug". For reference I'm a very heavy smoker. But pot is a drug. Even if I don't think it's a drug.

It's a personal view not a fact. Factually mushrooms aren't supposed to give you a reaction. Your body is supposed to digest things you eat, not have defense mechanisms diverting broken down chemicals into sleep receptors.

The New Testament

So you should start with the Illiad, Odyssey, and Aenied?

you dnont really get it and you find frogs funny fuck offf 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Realist post alive

Tbh, most of Aristotle is not really worth reading. A great deal of his ideas are so integrated into everything else we already know and read.

i agree.

>Being a Christcuck