Greek

> Greek
> Roman

Pick one, Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyeus
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Greek; Odyssey.

The Romans were huge plebs. They didn't manage a single interesting development in maths for a thousand years, and their main intellectual heritage is preserving and translating Greek works.

Scientific history isn't continuous. It's full of geniuses who make landmark achievements, followed by decades or even centuries of less intelligent persons building on those achievements. Most Greek scientific achievements can be attributed to Archimedes.

Greeks were nerds and probably fags too
action is what matters most, not words of honey
and the Roman was a man of action who stamped his foot on the world

>maths
stop

Greek is an infinitely more rich and beautiful language than Latin

and where are the Greeks now?

They're still there, to be fair. If anything, where are the Romans?

and where are the Romans now?

Have you heard about a thing called western civilization?

>greeks
>nerds and not men of action

>a state that cannot attain its ultimate goal usually swells to an unnaturally large size. the world-wide empire of the romans is nothing compared to athens. the strength that really should go into the flower here remains in the leaves and stem, which flourish
>el bigote grande, el psicopatólogo del imperio
>tfw bigote

>not aristotle

There are physics and math principles named after Archimedes more than 2000 years later. Aristotle did influence biology for many centuries and he contributed a lot to science as a whole by developing logic and the scientific method, but come on. Many of the experiments he wrote of literally don't even work and he didn't contribute anything notable to math/physics (and yes, I've read physics)

In ... Rome?

Romans invented the word 'pleb' so yes.

If you refute me in some way I will destroy u irl

I like Latin more as a language, but the Greeks are the Greeks.

Rome. Under the assumption I'd be a normal pleb, I'd have the opportunity to enlist in the legions, have greater access to foreign goods, and better sanitation/administration. Many Romans didn't even speak Latin and there's a higher chance of me knowing Greek or both than just Latin. If I was lucky enough to have money, then I could just buy any Greek works I wanted. Most of these arguments are based upon nostalgic "muh Greeks" or "muh Romans" reasoning when chances are you'd be some dirt poor farmer in Dalmatia who'd never see anything beyond your province capital.

This. Some of Aristotle's wrong ideas could have been checked with very, very basic experiments. It's honestly amazing how someone could be so wrong about things that are so simple to check. Taking Aristotle's bullshit conjectures on faith, for centuries, was a strong retarding factor in scientific progress.

actually picking one...

Read Cicero fags

>Pick one

Why? It's the same God.

Both Zeus and Jupiter come from the Proto-Indo European sky-god Dyeus Pater.

the what

Don't tell Greekfags that most of the shit we associate with ancient Greece was invented in ancient Mesopotamia and we only focus so much on the Greeks because there are more surviving written records from them. They get butthurt.

that holds for every Indo-European mythology/religion. Greek Mythology and the Old Testament are obviously inspired by the same source materials

That's a very alarming statement. I don't know Greek yet, but Latin is a sublime language. I can't wait to learn greek as well if that is true.

Archimedes and Euclid.

Mars > Ares

>ancient Mesopotamia
Not that far back.

>the what

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyeus

Greeks were better because at least they had definite articles.

Even the Greeks hated Ares

they both contributed to western civilization
greeks : philosophy math and literature
romans : law , road system ,latin alphabet etc

Greek language is objectively superior. There's no reason Latin could not have developed along similar lines but the intelligent Romans decided to just read Greek. That's why there's virtually no serious philosophy in Latin besides Cicero, who had to coin neologisms to express Greek thought, and Lucretius, who himself admitted that the Latin language was deficient for philosophizing. This is why the Latin of scholastics is so strange and non-classical.

As for poetry, there are great poets on both sides obviously, but Greek is much lighter, it has a far larger vocabulary, and is just generally better.

>They didn't manage a single interesting development in maths for a thousand years

not fundamental mathematics, but they developped applications for mathematics which the Greeks didn't, aqueducts, monuments, roads, engineering, urban design.

I love the Greek "image" of chilling by the Mediterranean, eating olives and shooting shit with old beardy dudes in togas. It's a beautiful culture

I love the Roman pragmatism and down-to-earth methods. They were violent and bellicose, but no more than the Greeks, they were just better at it.

tl;dr : The heart says Greeks, the mind says Roman.