Rap music

Well, what is /lit's opinion on rap music? I've always considered hip hop to be poetry, rather than music.

What do you all think?

"Look in the skies for God, what you see besides the smog
Is broken dreams flying away on the wings of the obscene
Thoughts that people put in the air
Places where you could get murdered over a glare
But everything is fair
It’s a paradox we call reality
So keepin it real will make you casualty of abnormal normality"
-Talib Kweli

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i_kF4zLNKio
youtube.com/watch?v=06koEdJiwZg
youtube.com/watch?v=1fEnTj2GNlU
youtube.com/watch?v=diIFhc_Kzng
youtube.com/watch?v=1VUa99-tJqs
youtube.com/watch?v=LsA84bXrBZw
youtube.com/watch?v=PmxtI5Ydr3A
youtube.com/watch?v=I5Tpji53lMM
youtube.com/watch?v=dmJefsOErr0
youtube.com/watch?v=bgKJiXf5KkY
youtube.com/watch?v=POcBHIaiYJo
youtube.com/watch?v=rK8QoxuVQWo
youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE
youtu.be/Z18-WoFH1Xc
youtu.be/yK0cou-iw_U
youtu.be/YJY2dt8B-vY
youtu.be/QtlYCU6pois
youtu.be/MXQehR_0_Jc
youtu.be/qvH5XLpqyQM
youtu.be/hnYEtOlRN1c
youtu.be/I72-3_sbPW8
youtu.be/LSm8uHIAbZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AB7ysBudJgY
youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1KON-K-Kk
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Negro
youtube.com/watch?v=GyV459vlWVE
youtu.be/Mb1ZvUDvLDY
youtu.be/QFy0hQ3lY-w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_(Kendrick_Lamar_album)#Track_listing
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hit or miss. Depends on the rapper.

Interesting little bit of information for you. Rapping itself originated on the British isles.

Of course they didn't call it that in the med. ages. It's what Jesters would do to appease the king by talking smack back and forth to eachother and random onlookers to a beat.

Coincidentally African American slave worked side by side with poor backwood farm hands of English/Scottish ancestry for centuries.

Kendrick Lamar Lamar will be remembered as one of the greatest poets of our time. I'm ready, /pol/, take me away.

Rap isn't poetry. Just compare the two below:

>Ever since a young man
> All I want to be was a gunman
> Shooting up the charts, better run man
> Ya'll gotta see that I won, man
> Slick as El DeBarge with the finger waves, work it, JT
> Handle bars like a fade, watch me work it, JT
> I’m at large, running plays like a circuit, JT
> I'm selling verses, Jay Z, watch me work it, JT
> Look, look, hold up—

- Kendrick Lamar

> sheeeeit man I'm a nigger and I like weed and beer and I cheer them hoes n dey snigger cuz I'm a nigger, sheeeeeeeeeit....... I'm a nigga, sheeeit motherfucker n shit hoe goddamn my big fat nigger from another wigger goddamn I took a sheeeeit n it be look like the Kang of Angland ya niggers

- William Shakespeare, Sonnet 31

As someone who used to listen to all kinds of rap daily, now I can't listen to anything like the OP (backpacker-like, or even someone like Kendrick and ESPECIALLY J. Trash) because of how lesser it is as poetry. Once you've read Shakespeare or Yeats or Dante then any rap that claims to be lyrical is just wack.

Songs like Good Drank by 2chainz or T-shirt by Migos are bearable if the mood is right, because these songs knows their place.

trying way too hard.

>trying way too hard.

much like the nigger in your attached pic

this. we called op shit "college rap" when i was growing up as in, "that faggot loves college rap, he won't stop talking about smoking weed with fucking jurrasic five after that thing at brown"

Hip hop is musically so primitive and banal that it certainly isn't difficult to reduce it to poetry.
But it is also lyrically so primitive and banal that it certainly isn't difficult to reduce it to music instead.

>Killer "stealing gold chains is black culture is respectable ps elect bernie sanders" Mike

Rap is interesting. It's more pervasive than its white identity cousin, country music. That is to say, it is more representative and prescriptive of a certain way of life. I used to listen to Cold Crush Brothers, Ultramagnetics, Ez-e, Heavy D, Dana Dane, etc in the 90s. Didn't enjoy the G era at all, it's not relatable. Kool Keith crushed it in the early 2000s with Octagon and Dooom, Black Elvis, Sex Style, etc. Bumpy Knuckles, same. Paul Barman outstanding Jewish rapper. Handsome Boy Modeling School, Jedi Mind Tricks, MF Doom, Tribe Called Quest, et cetera recognize the absurdity of playing the who-the-hardest-thug game and leave the violence out.

Rapping about turnips: okay.

Rapping about killing police: fuck you.

I like some hip-hop, less so than when I was a teenager, but can still appreciate it. Some verses could be described as poetic but the argument as a whole seems irrelevant desu.

He probably will, but he's still hugely overrated in nearly every respect. It says more about contemporary poetry, hip-hop and pop culture than Kendrick.

the violence is the whole point you dumb faggot. i bet you say shit like "graffiti is cool as long as its like um street art where its like not on someones private property!"

Poetry indeed.

Ay bitch! wait til you see my dick
Wait til you see my dick
Imma beat dat pussy up
Wait you see my dick
Imma beat dat pussy up

Like B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM,
B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM,
B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM

Beat da pussy up, Beat da pussy up,
Beat da pussy
Up, Beat da pussy up

if the point of rap is the violence, then fuck rap. it's music for retards who romanticize assault and robbery, thugs until it's time to do something. the stupidest ones are keeping it real in jail.

i say rap is a blight on the youth and the nation.

Yes, I believe it does depend on the artist.

You have artists that rap about "yeaaa pussy moneey weed shiet fuck 12 bruh senpai"

And yea, you have other artists like kendrick + others that not only have lyrical mastery to their songs, but manipulate the lyrics to make it art. (Yes, I went there, sue me)

And of course, I am by no means comparing many rappers to Shakespeare. I hardly listen to rap music in the first place, but I do think that there will always be a level of appreciation for rap music in my heart.

you mad

when you're this much of a sheltered loser

Nah BREH you're stupid af. The violence that you see in rap music originated in communities where their everyday life was rife with it. It is a legitimate expression and reflection of that lives they lived. Would you also say bluegrass mystic contains and glorifies violence?

Not mad. Astonished that a genre can thrive by projecting crime as profitable and inevitable to black youth, while they are offing each other daily. And nobody sees anything wrong with this.

Big surprise the people defending rap are wojaks on the internet.

>Rap music

If I hear any music that sounds like a black man rapping or someone emulating it I will shut that shit off. Pure garbage. I don't care what the rap is, what meaning the song has it sounds like fucking garbage.

Me too. I appreciate it, but I wouldn't listen to it

>looking for an explanation everywhere except in as i stuff my face from dirty pot, and greasy spoon, and sweaty peas, and buttered rice,
>and the water's running.
>i think ribs like rosebush branches
>flies in eyes, the corners of, and sally struthers, don't be depressed
>i've made it to the mystery of mona lisa's mouth
>the streets smell like beer and exhaust this christmas
>don't be depressed, but no one wants to rent movies to an out-of-towner without a credit card
>i did nothing today but walk a blind man to his bus stop
>are you scared the album will end before the doorbell rings,
>and you'll be left to greet your guests
>with a tied tongue, cold lunch, and spent wick candle?
>...as the floorboards creek and the pipes ping and pong beneath you

>Astonished that a genre can thrive by projecting crime as profitable and inevitable to black youth
because it is. You think you're going to get out of a ghetto in their run down schools?

Shiiieeettt. Now this is what I'm talking about

Top kek

Rap music is for niggers (its target audience) and wannabe white degenerates (probably its biggest audience).

Most people who take it seriously are subhumans who pretend to smoke weed and use "white" as an insult.

Even though the lyrics are complete trash, no one can dispute the fact that, at the end of the day, this is what men desire. Is this a garbage song? Yes. Are these garbage lyrics? Absolutely. But at the end of the day, I think this song represents the primal instinct of man: To breed. No heterosexual man doesn't think about "beating that pussy up"

Sorry, this is looking like a post from /mu/, but I think its necessary since we're on the topic of lyricism.

>government does everything to help niggers, even working with the media and the universities to give them absurd privileged minority status
>still can't do fucking shit
>most areas which were thriving black buisiness districts during the segregation era are now ghettoes
Nobody hates niggers. We all want them to succeed. But they just... can't. They don't know how to. They simply do not behave. This is obviously due to genetic issues; actually, environmental factors play a very small role in human behavior compared to genetics (see any twin study).

The truth is, freedom has been completely damaging to the black community. Most of them have below-average intelligence, just like retards, and like retards they need to be told what to do. Considering that blacks actually did better when America was more racist, and did worse as they got more rights, the obvious solution is – more racism.

youtube.com/watch?v=i_kF4zLNKio

Good? Bad?

>Men like to fuck women

Wow what a great point. You really turned my view of rap music around.

And we're back to my point. Rap is a lyrical mode and a culture. As a mode, it can be good or bad. As an idealized reflection on drug/gang culture it ruins more kids lives than Albert Fish.

youtube.com/watch?v=06koEdJiwZg

Sung by a soft white guy. Still completely degenerate.

True. I hear strangers in my city of all ages races and creeds quoting his lyricism almost weekly. Even though DAMN is old news now, I hear plenty of people playing it on headphones or cars.

the first thirty seconds of playboi carti's magnolia are more poetic than kermit lamar's entire discography

To quote Scaruffi:
"My bias is towards the music, not the lyrics: it is called "rock music", not "rock literature". And there's a reason: as literature, it is worth very little. Even the greatest rock lyricists are, at best, mediocre poets"

Well clouddead is the greatest hip hop album of all time, after all

youtube.com/watch?v=1fEnTj2GNlU

Is this Veeky Forums?

I love poetry and absolutely hate rap.

Rap to me is all about the artist or about sales.

I like some stuff, mostly from the 90s
but in general its not really my thing and I find the majority of it really dull and repetitive.

lyrics and poetry have ultimately different purposes (inb4 poetry accompanying music,
even someone like campion did that at the expense of numerous thought and imagery cliches present)
also miss me with that conscious hip hip bullshit, nothing good except for dälek came out of it
>im multidimensional transcendental individual muh lamentations are ultrathesaurical
yeah, yeah, i get it, read to autumn you nerd

The vast majority of it is junk, but there is a small fraction that is worthwhile poetry. It's a hard medium to create good art in because the staccato nature and need to rhyme tend to impose a jaunty and/or combative mood that is difficult to tune into other aesthetic spaces.
I like some of Mos Def's stuff. For example, from Black Star:
"The new moon rode high in the crown of the metropolis
Shining, like, "Who on top of this?"
People was tusslin', arguing and bustlin'
Gangstas of Gotham hardcore hustlin'
I'm wrestling with words and ideas
My ears is pricked, seeking what will transmit
The scribes can apply to transcript
Yo, this ain't no time where the usual is suitable
Tonight alive, let's describe the inscrutable
The indisputable, we New York the narcotic
Draped in metal and fiber optics
Where mercenaries is paid to trade hot stock tips
For profits, thirsty criminals take pockets
Hard knuckles on the second hands of working class watches
Skyscrapers is colossus, the cost of living is preposterous
Stay alive, you play or die, no options
No Batman and Robin
Can't tell between the cops and the robbers
They both partners, they all heartless with no conscience
Back streets stay darkened
Where unbeliever hearts stay hardened
My eagle talons stay sharpened, like city lights stay throbbing
You either make a way or stay sobbin'
The shiny Apple is bruised but sweet
And if you choose to eat, you could lose your teeth
Many crews retreat, nightly news repeat
Who got shot down and locked down
Spotlight to savages, NASDAQ averages
My narrative rose to explain this existence
Amidst the harbor lights which remain in the distance"

sweety.. easy on the whitewashing of history

Lil Kodak, bitch, I'm Polo'd down like Carlton
Sniper Gang I put a nigga on a carton
I'm the shit I'm fartin', I don't know how to potty

Niggas really be on cock though
Just fucked a ho out in France
Paint her face like Picasso
I iced out my vatos, I'm really up
Big ass Beamer, big Benz and my Bentley next
Don't play around on my phone ho, gimme sex.

Yeah nice "poetry". Rap is fucking garbage.

>quoting Scaruffi, known pseud

Foot on the Devil's neck 'til it drifted Pangaea

youtube.com/watch?v=diIFhc_Kzng

youtube.com/watch?v=1VUa99-tJqs

youtube.com/watch?v=LsA84bXrBZw

youtube.com/watch?v=PmxtI5Ydr3A

youtube.com/watch?v=I5Tpji53lMM

youtube.com/watch?v=dmJefsOErr0

youtube.com/watch?v=bgKJiXf5KkY

>/lit's opinion
stopped reading there. Veeky Forumss opinion is always trash newfag

youtube.com/watch?v=POcBHIaiYJo

Rap, like all pop music, is very simplistic in its content. It's main themes are sexuality, rebellion, social status, tribal violence.
You can say that makes it for "plebs", but at the end of the day, even "patricians" tend to enjoy some primitive entertainment, at least occasionally.
I guess the difference is that plebs take it "too seriously" without questioning it, just like they take seriously the petty emotional dramas in their lives.

Of course there are exceptions and sure enough some unknown guys have tried really hard to combine good poetry with rap, but that almost certainly makes for shitty rap that nobody wants to hear.
It's like trying to fit philosophy into club dance music, it doesn't really work. So why bother when you can just leave poetry or philosophy in written form.

Forget the word 'plebs'. (Rap) music is the main mimetic platform today. Along with politics, fashion industry, silicon valley etc etc

also is kanye illuminati???

I can't get into it. Also can't get into poetry

To an extent (and depending on where you live) that's true. Boys and young men nowadays lack masculine role models, so pop icons like rappers tend to fill that role. White guilt in the media keeps them off the leash, so they can express feelings that are otherwise unacceptable/taboo. The fact that they're intellectually weak (produced by negros in pop form) means they will never seriously challenge the system.

Who is not intellectually weak today? Athos monks?

youtube.com/watch?v=rK8QoxuVQWo

it's all the same shit, but they call it cLOUDDEAD, great album

the most verbose rapper is undoubtedly Aesop Rock. Mc Ride is close too with all the esoteric references.

I've yet to hear popular rap lyrics that go beyond high school level of social critique.

I actually know an Italian "rapper" that talks about Hegel in his lyrics, but the fact that he's relatively unknown and borderline non-rap just proves my point.

BEGGAR ON A BITCH'S LEASH
SCUM IS DESPERATE FOR RELEASE
NATURE KNOWS NOT A MERCY
TO PRAY IS TO ACCEPT DEFEAT

fuck you Scaruffi has read more books than all of Veeky Forums combined

More poetry

Why you comin' home 5 in the morn'
Something's going on, can I smell yo dick?
Don't play me like a fool, cause that ain't cool
So wat u need to do is lemme smell yo dick (x2)

I don't really give two shits about rap, but why do some people say that it isn't music when other sub-genres like noise and aleatoric exist?

Do you mean to tell me that poetry set to a beat doesn't fit into the characteristics of music, but a random, cacophonous, and disjointed collection of sounds does?

b-but black ppl

Then why don't I ever see Jazz music being shit on?

do you really think people who say rap isnt music would say that shit is music?

not an argument

I used those sub-genres as examples, because most people who hold disdain towards popular umbrella genres, like pop and rap, are those who are interested in the more avant-garde ones.

I used to be like that, but then I stopped giving a shit about what other people listened to.

idk. i see jazz being shit on all the time.

She's just the cutest thing

People who say rap isn't music have never even heard of noise, and would throw a fit if you suggested it be music.

>because most people who hold disdain towards popular umbrella genres, like pop and rap, are those who are interested in the more avant-garde ones.
Demonstrably false

I avoid things that involve black people because they generally annoy me. I've lived in the metro Detroit area my entire life and at this point just hearing them annoys me. Meeting Kendrick (and the rest of Black Hippie) was one of the most illuminating nights of my life. Killed all of my idols and any future chance of any future idol.

What happened?

I used to listen to a lot of rap, but the only artist to really impress me lyrically or even interest me nowadays is MF DOOM

Jay Rock wouldn't stop talking about how nice the laptop he just stole from some bitch was. Schoolboy was too drunk to really talk to (and can't roll a blunt to save his life). Soul and Kendrick are the biggest pseuds I've ever talked to. Pineal glands, super melanin powers, afrocentric revisionist history. I looked up to those people and they're basically retards.

I can't say i'm surprised at all

How can you possibly look up to them with a background in lit?

lol blvck ppl

>21st century schizoid man
checks out. he really is a genius

youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE

>ctrl+f
>no Buck 65
Probably one of the most Veeky Forums hip-hop artists. Sucks he got shamed out of the scene and hasn't dropped anything nor posted on any of his social media in close to 2 years.

youtu.be/Z18-WoFH1Xc
youtu.be/yK0cou-iw_U
youtu.be/YJY2dt8B-vY
youtu.be/QtlYCU6pois
youtu.be/MXQehR_0_Jc
youtu.be/qvH5XLpqyQM
youtu.be/hnYEtOlRN1c

Also worth mentioning, though they don't have much content:
youtu.be/I72-3_sbPW8
youtu.be/LSm8uHIAbZQ

And for some black stuff:
youtube.com/watch?v=AB7ysBudJgY
youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1KON-K-Kk

It's because they're rappers.

Why'd he get shamed out?

It was over 5 years ago and I bought in to the "intelligent" rap meme.

>It's because they're rappers.
>I avoid things that involve black people because they generally annoy me.

You're quoting two different people.

you seem confused. why don't you take a breather?

Are you retarded?
The post was literally replying to the other guy.

Great taste. Joyce is but the Kool Keith of lit.

aww, you're like an early warning for alzheimer's

No one knows for sure. It came after a wave of accusations of lying and misogyny after the release of his autobiography though, so likely scorned exes that started a crusade against his career in revenge

Reads like it was written by a 3rd grader, Not even proper English/syntax.

You're obviously black.

>Well, what is /lit's opinion on rap music?
Another Jewish strategem to subvert the population by glorifying subhuman culture and propagating amorality, greed, and violence in the youth by labeling it somehow expressive of the disenfranchised (via millionaires) and thus a form of rebellion (via stagnation).

Sadly it has been widely successful. The future is bleak.

Rap is the ultimate degeneration of negro self-expression. Just as jazz was once something considered shocking and abrasive, attended to by blacks and the bravest of whites, hip hop is worse because it is not only devoid of substance, but because it has instantiated itself in the popular mind. Niggers produce wiggers, who believe themselves to have stepped into something new and transgressive. An unstoppable malignant cancer

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Negro

Been ages since I've seen this guy mentioned. Good shit, user.

I like when rappers are fun and just painting pictures with their creativity
youtube.com/watch?v=GyV459vlWVE

as opposed to attempts to be intellectual.. it always leads to stupid fringe ideas and afro-supremacy. Look at Talib Kweli's twitter for example

Maybe, but look at his song credits. 3-5 writers for a single song, not including the ones that have features. Not a true poet. As opposed to Pac who only had himself and sometimes one other dude helping out

Pretty great as an art form, certainly compared to the cringeworthy shit that is a poetry slam. It has deep connections of oral tradition in a lot of ways. It is 2deep4 people that call it nigger music

There is this weird thing about it that can mix strong emotion with a casual delivery Occasionally hear some great lyrics.

The problem is the lowest denominator they cater to is LOW, the artists are frequently halfway to retarded, and the entire culture is degenerate.

From 2pac Hey mama

youtu.be/Mb1ZvUDvLDY

I reminisce on the stress I caused, it was hell

Hugging on my mama from a jail cell

And who'd think in elementary?

Hey! I see the penitentiary, one day

And running from the police, that's right

Mama catch me, put a whooping to my backside

And even as a crack fiend, mama

You always was a black queen, mama

I finally understand

For a woman it ain't easy trying to raise a man

You always was committed

A poor single mother on welfare, tell me how ya did it

There's no way I can pay you back

But the plan is to show you that I understand

You are appreciated

~Chorus~

He writes all of his lyrics, the other credits are for production and beatmaking/instrumentals and stuff. So that makes him no less of a poet.

Young Thug is where it's at. Anything else is garbage.
>"She got that camel-toe i call her Marlboro"

conscious rap and anticon-core i can't stand for the most part since getting into serious poetry. i still love rappers like ghostface and biggie though

biggie in particular is fascinating rhythmically

that neverlove album was so bad that i stopped listening to him completely, used to be a huge fan

i would like to know what made him disappear though. those early records were brilliant

I've got to love a style of music which can produce a legitimate hit song that uses only 12 words. Eat your heart out Dr. Suess.

>Veeky Forums unironically thinks using lots of big words makes you intelligent.
>Pic related

youtu.be/QFy0hQ3lY-w

Rap is one step below slam poetry in terms of value.
Technically it would be one step above but the retarded individuals that keep defending it (by quoting shit that is almost inevitably some 2deep4u jaden smith-tier shit) make it lose a couple of positions.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_(Kendrick_Lamar_album)#Track_listing

why would you rate an artform based on the people who like it? Obviously anything marginally artistic is going to attract pseuds.
>Classic Greek literature would be the top of all ancient writing, but the pseuds on Veeky Forums who defend it make it lose some points
does that not sound dumb to you?

I don't get this cunt's appeal. He has an annoying voice and his 'wow so woke' raps are not even pseudo-intellectual shit that was already played out in the 90s.

because rap has been dumbed down the last few years, so its just refreshing seeing someone with some substance get radio play. But very few outside the pop-rap community considers him to be "the greatest" of the generation.