What did pirates ate? How do I make grog like a pirate?

What did pirates ate? How do I make grog like a pirate?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=__HM9HsSdYo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

IIRC the word "buccaneer" is named after the type of dried meat pirates used to make

If you want grog similar to what pirates drank, find the lowest quality rum you can and since even though that won't be bad enough, mix it with some rubbing alcohol or gasoline. Next cut it with water and drink up

Even that won't be bad enough* excuse my dumb phoneposting

Pirates invented barbecue.

Hard tack and saltpork or saltfish. Grog is pretty much what said. Water cut with low-quality rum to kill the disease in it. Depending on availability they might also have ale rationed to them.

Clearly nothing with citrus in it har har har

pirates swashbuckled, they didn't work in a faggy kitchen
wenches made the dried meat while the pirates sang shanties n shit

Hard tack mostly. The hard tack would become infested by a (relatively harmless) insect that tasted like nothing. So they'd go into the hull of the ship with no lights on and eat that shit in the dark so they couldn't tell which pieces were infected.

To make grog you need Kerosene, Propylene Glycol, Artificial Sweeteners, Sulfuric Acid, Rum, Acetone, Battery Acid, red dye#2, Scumm, Axle grease and/or pepperoni.

It also had lime juice in it to fight off scurvy.

>Hard tack and saltpork or saltfish.
This guy's correct. "Ship-biscuit" and dried meats were basically the only foods that didn't have worms in them after a month or two at sea.

Pirates invented space.

I understood that reference.

I'd say it would have been whatever citrus fruit they could get enough of at whichever port they were at

preserved foods
maybe pickles?

Not sure the validity, but I've read from wiki and a few other sources that privateers and the like drank bumbo over naval grog. It was basically water cut with rum along with sugar and nutmeg.

Privateers and pirates tended to spend a lot of time in port or anchored at islands, so they had much more access to fresh foods than the navies did. If they needed food badly, they could just raid ships or small towns.

Apparently most privateers and pirates (at least those operating in the Caribbean) rarely spent more than a couple weeks (sometimes just a few days) at sea each voyage. While navies would dock for loading more rations once or twice a week, their voyages usually went on for months.

Grog sucks, just drink rum.

Rum was often spiced with cinnamon - not ground, but just a piece of cinnamon bark boiled in it. I guess they would use the same piece of cinnamon bark since setting sail for the first time until the ship sunk.

umm... grog, not rum.

BTW. Grog is served warm. Currently, not original recipe but likely better, you also add lemon and some cloves. Bring near simmering but don't boil.

it's just rum, sugar and hot water

In reality, pirates were boring.

I watched some retarded hipster le vidya jewtuber putting pepperoni in a capitain morgan bottle, and some red dye to make "le authentic le monkey island le grog"

Missed some essential ingredients.

> "a secret mixture that contains one or more of the following: Kerosene, Propylene Glycol, Artificial Sweeteners, Sulfuric Acid, Rum, Acetone, Battery Acid, red dye#2, Scumm, Axle grease and/or pepperoni".

Would love to see him drink it.

Oh, they drank the pepperoni shit, stupid jewtubers

I lost all respect for eurogamer after watching this

youtube.com/watch?v=__HM9HsSdYo

#metoo

many pirates had a lot of grains and legumes. as they kept well when dried, hard tack.
a favorite of mine, which is actually very good, is salmagundi. its like a clarified, pickled meat stew with a lot of spices ( they did this to hide the taste of spoiled meat)
anything with a light jamaican influence is good piratical food, due to pirates generally hanging round in those areas

I thought it was cause some pirate hurt his ear at some point and yelled "ow my buccaneer".