Turgy

What do you senpais think of Turgenev? I got Fathers and Sons by him. Am I in for a good book lol?

He wrote in Russian. Don't even bother if you can't read it.

What do you mean? His works are translated. I have the one by Peter Carson. Is that a good translation?

No, no translation is good, - all translations are 100% reinterpretation and retelling by different people. And it's not Fathers and Sons in Russian, it's Fathers and Chiildren.

>it's not [english title] in russian
>it's [english title] in russian
Really made me think.

What's your point? You monoglot will not underatand just how different original and translation can be anyway.

He's alright. All his books have a tendency to fall into a familiar pattern. They're mostly short too. A very fine writer, but I wouldn't rank him terribly high in my favorite Russian authors

One of my favorite books

Lousy moskal, fuck out of here!

I speak two languages pretty good. I know that the original is better. But I have to make use with what I've got. I can't be bothered to learn russian.

I'm Ukrainian but I live in Russia lol

>I speak two languages pretty good
No, you don't.

What makes you say that?

Your post.

I speak norwegian. I also speak english. I learned both languages when I was a tiny boy. (before I was 5)

I would never read "Sult" by Knut Hamsun in english. I know that it won't be as good. On the other hand, I'm okay with reading translated russian texts because I don't know russian.

I feel that you are being argumentative just to give me a hard time. I feel saddened because of your comments, because I feel that you will not believe me no matter what I say.

Sult is much better in english.

Just shut the fuck up, pseud.

I want to read Fathers and Sons soon. What are the best translations?

I've only read Notes from a Hunter's Sketchbook. It was hit or miss. "Singers" and and "Meeting" were great, "The End of Chertopkhanov" was boring, and "Living Relic" is the second best short story I've ever read. "Living Relic" actually made me cry, which is something that almost no other literature has actually managed to do.

I only read the collection because Knausgaard mentioned it in an interview. Apparently a guy on the Nobel committee in Sweden decided not to commit suicide because of it, which was intriguing enough of a factoid to get me to read it.

Super man speaks good, you speak well.

hunters sketchbook is one of the best collections i've read bar none, I think i read he was about to give up writing until he hit success with publishing the stories in the papers.

Perfectly captures the russian countryside and all it's players involved.

I never see spring torrents/the torrents of spring mentioned on here, which saddens me. It's a really nice novel, pretty short but packed with good writing (imo). Yes I read it in Russian but I've read it in English too and it's not so bad. Definitely worth reading in English if you can't into Russian.

People who say don't read translations are fucking psueds. They say they are just one persons interpretation, but isn't the original just another interpretation, in a way? Watch me get flamed boys

whoa, you just blew my mind about the whole translation thing. it's like we're all tuned into the same story that spans all languages.

Wtf! I'm an atheist now??

The separation of languages is a pretty good argument for the existence of God.

Please explain

Not him
Tower of Babel

fathers and songs is one of my fave novels
other than that i've only read diary of a superfluous man

Thanks I'll read up on that

Turgenev is an actual artist and consciously crafted his novels.
Much different than Dostoevsky's coked-out nigger-tier door stoppers.

This guy is autistic as fuck

Why?

I adore his plastic musical flowing prose, but his epilogues are laboured and his handling of plots banal.

>reading for plot

How do you deal with the racism/xenophobia?

>ukrainian living in Russia
>racism

Sportsman's Sketches is extremely hearty and gripping compared to some of the 'banal' novels. Dosto was right when he said Turgenev spent too much time abroad.

>helped found a Russian emigre library in Paris
>amassed literature and promoted culture Russian and others
>held debates and discussions
>lenin worked there
>Wrote Fathers and Sons

pretty cool guy.