Just made my first ever non-box mac and cheese. How does it look?

Just made my first ever non-box mac and cheese. How does it look?

Other urls found in this thread:

thespruce.com/simple-stewed-tomatoes-3061675
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The sauce used 3:1 sharp yellow cheddar to parmesan and had roasted garlic and bacon in it. Topped with panko mixed with butter and baked.

would smash but im really hungry right now so that probably doesn't mean much

looks like obesity.

>500 calories per serving
DROPPED

rather eat pecan pie

>No roux involved
>Baked

You're already better than 90% of mac and cheeses on technique alone

Looks a bit dry but that might just be the top. Show us a pic of a scoop on a plate.

looks really good
sounds even better when you say roasted garlic and bacon.

Looks bomb af op

I kept track of all the ingredient measurements I used, so give me a minute and I can give you a calorie count.

I actually did use a roux while making the sauce :/ Are you not supposed to do that for mac and cheese? I just kinda freestyled it because I thought it would be fun to see how I did. If it helps, I used the rendered bacon fat instead of butter for the roux.

It's for a dinner party I'm having with friends tomorrow to celebrate the last day of classes. If this thread survives until then, I'll show the cross section.

Yeah, it's pretty shit for you. Luckily most of my friends are bulking or have no idea about nutrition anyway.

4350 calories in the entire thing with a 366/217/223 C/F/P split. If a slice is an eighth of the pan (still a shit ton of mac and cheese desu), it's just a bit north of 500 calories.

>no velveeta
>bread crumbs instead of cheetos

Kys

>velveeta
I ate this at my brother's house one night. It was pretty great. Then I woke up at 2am to squirt a liter of painful liquid shit out of my ass multiple times. It's very unusual, no other food does that to me.

Can you give recipe and instructions for a retard like myself?

not great

Yes, you're supposed to use roux. Good mac and cheese uses a Mornay-type sauce, which is cheese + bechamel

you didn't make mac N cheese you made a casserole

It's not how I make my mac and cheese (I literally make nacho cheese dip and add macaroni to it so it has that nuclear goo KFC texture) but I appreciate all mac and cheese and I'd smash tf out of that

Incoming ameritard measurements:
Boil a pound of any pasta in salted water and drain but don't rinse once done.

Cook desired amount of bacon (I used 5 slices) in a pan until very crispy. Finely chop the bacon and transfer the grease to the pan you're using for the sauce. Depending on how much bacon you have, you might be good but I added a tbsp of butter.

Whisk together with 1/4 cup of flour for a bit and then add 2 cups of whole milk. Once the sauce has thickened a tad, add the minced roasted garlic and salt/pepper to taste. Add any other flavors you want right now too (I added onion powder and paprika). Add 10oz sharp cheddar and 4oz parmesan and mix until you start having lewd thoughts about it. Take it off the heat.

Mix the pasta with the sauce and bacon and transfer to a casserole dish. Top with 2oz sharp cheddar and 1/4 panko mixed with 2tbsp melted butter.

Bake for 15-20mins in a 400F oven.

"Wala"

This is the fourth thread I've seen today that says to make a bechamel based sauce for Mac and cheese. That is fucking idiotic. Do not do this.

It looks like any shitty flyover macaroni and cheese, sorry. Also you would be doing yourself a favor if you would evolve from the flyover American stereotype and stop using those disposable baking dishes, just buy a proper baking dish and not be a lazy piece of shit.

Sure, how do you argue it should be done? Again, experience = box

I'm bringing it to a party, grumpyboi. I don't want to be autistic about getting my dish back.

I used to have a trailer trash roommate who would buy new disposable baking pans every time she wanted to bake something. granted this was only two or three times between the time we tried living together and the drama screaming rage explosion, i.e. once every 2 months or so, but it still disgusted me. she would put them on top of the cutting board to avoid scratching the countertop because the tips of my knives which she loved to ruin would sometimes go through the shitty cheap metal and scratch whatever was underneath.

trying to imagine what goes through the mind of someone like that will make you go insane.

>aluminum baking vessel
Are you a black people by any chance?

whites do it too, user, see

I have made Mac and cheese so many ways over the years. It is probably one of my favorite winter dishes. I'm my opinion, the best is the one Matty Matheson didnfor munchies: melt Anton a good American cheese (not singles you fucking morons, there are other types of American cheese) in to a saucepan of milk at a scald, and then add that to cooked noodles. Honestly, I like the "little ear" pasta to elbow noodles, and I sometimes stud that with some melty blue cheese and some aged cheddar, for a bit a flavor.

what the fuck

Are you the same guy posting in multiple threads? If so keep up the good work. Everytime i see something and think what the fuck, you're usually connected. Or i'm fucking crazy.

Bretty good user. Is that penne for the pasta? A little unconventional, but the cheese is the star here. For your next move, two words: stewed tomatoes. It brings your mac-and-cheese up into the bone zone.

Looks great user

>not using a roux with the sharpest cheddar you can buy and incorporating broc and ham/bacon at some point

I've been here so long that I don't even know my own posts anymore, user.

Everything about that plate looks fucking delicious. More details about the bbq whatever it is? I love adding tomatoey stuff to mac n' cheese. I used to put ketchup in my kraft when I was a kiddo, but I'm slightly less of a degenerate now. It is penne but only because I didn't want to run to the store and had it on hand.

Heading out to the party in a bit. Just gotta toss it in my bro's oven for a bit to warm up and I'll get a cross section.

Thought it was scalloped potatoes

It's just a stock image, but this is how my mom always made it. She just had a little pot of diced tomatoes and some seasoning and ladle it up the top while serving.

Here's a simple recipe: thespruce.com/simple-stewed-tomatoes-3061675 I believe mom used a bit of basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes in addition to the salt & pepper in hers.

Looks tasty as hell, would love to wake up to leftovers of that in my fridge and know I wont have to cook anything that day

>velveeta
>no other food does that to me.
Food is a strong word for velveeta. It's technically sustenance. So is grass with grass being the healthier option.