Veeky Forumserary confessions thread

Veeky Forumserary confessions thread.

Reveal your /shit/erary tastes, pet peeves, contrarian views, annoying habits, etc.

Let loose and be honest, you're anonymous here and you weren't going to impress anybody anyway.

Other urls found in this thread:

paulsample-ogri.co.uk/Paul Sample.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I tend to hold my pages very tightly in my fingers so I don't drop my book. I also tend to hold the right page ready to turn it over with ease.

I was reading The Iliad and I accidentally tore the page to the point where I tore a little chunk of paper off with a few sentences on it. I can still read the book but this is triggering my autismo so much because now I feel like I need to bin this copy and just buy another copy.

Listening to lowercase music while reading is completely fine.

I couldn't finish the Iliad because I thought it was quite boring and all the bland fight scenes always end in the main heroes surviving or being saved by a goddess.

I don't like Harry Potter but without shame I can say Hermione and Luna Lovegood are waifu material and that I would go polygamous just to marry them both.

A Brief History of Seven Killings is one of the best postmodern novels of the past 15 years. Marlon James is one of the best writers of the past 15 years.

Summer is always awful on Veeky Forums but the recent cancer that is carrot-posting should be illegal.

JK Rowling is a great writer

I'm a slower reader and I'm not ashamed of it.

Add in Cho and I'm right there with you

Bellatrix wasn't this hot in the movies iirc

would be in chad slytherin to get in that pussy

>reading the Iliad for excitement

My book purchases are HEAVILY influenced by the cover art.

Seeing a shelf full of YA fiction and nothing else in somebody's house makes me want to commit sudoku.

> judging a book by its cover
> he didn't get the memo on day one in life

I secretly like Tom Sharpe novels after an eccentric relative gave me a stack of them when I was a rowdy teenager. I've kept a certain fondness for them since.
Pic related

Wut

Pynchon > DeLillo so far I don't even know why anyone bothers to read the latter.

Nathaniel Hawthorne is a bad writer and should be removed from the school curriculum.

Creative Writing MFAs are useless and possibly the worst study program ever devised.

Acquisition of a new language should be mandatory in a BA program. Latin and other historical languages would be acceptable.

I tend to hate reading as a whole. And I hate writing as a whole.
But I want to read and write, but both are a vicious waste of time, because there are other things to do.
I can't use Audible because it's too much money for something I already own - aka almost every piece of classic literature -> I got about two rooms filled with books in my house
I also like to spit on recent literary works.
I tend to go to book stores, pick up a new book, read the resume and laugh at it's misery. People can't write nowadays. Or, at least, nobody writes interesting things.
Also fan fictions.
People rarely write stuff that doesn't involve romance. Remove yourselves romance writers. Filthy.

is that cover illustrated by robert crumb

i only own one book and my reading list is just what I borrow off of peoples shelves and exchange for petty cash at second hand bookstores.

No, they're by an illustrator called Paul Sample. You can find his website here: paulsample-ogri.co.uk/Paul Sample.html

haha good one
well you should be

Thanks, user

well why wouldn't you. those books are great british satire. blott on the landscape is the best one tho.

no, they are done by Paul Sample, who also did the legendary Ogri cartoon strip

I don't mind normies reading trash as long as they realise its trash or don't badmouth classics they can't handle.

Of course I love them. But they're an embarrassing secret, kept hidden in the wardrobe out of sight of Joyce, the Russians and ancient Chinese poetry. This is the Veeky Forumserary confessions thread, after all.

I watched the old TV adaptation of Porterhouse Blues online a few months back and it was really very funny. David Jason was fantastic as Skullion, and I'd forgotten about the poor incel lecturer too!

I stopped reading lolita because it was fucking boring and obnoxious embroidery. Nabokov should've stuck to collecting butterflies

I buy hardbacks because they look good on my shelf, but only ever read the softback versions because they're easier to handle and lighter to travel with.

Who did it first?

I really believe P&V are the best translators.

I enjoy discussing books more than reading them.

This is actually not that bad of a thing to do. Cover art gives you an idea of who it's trying to appeal to, and thus it's contents. Is it actually surprising that most genre fiction covers are absolutely horrible?

I gave up on novels early this year, now I read exclusively Japanese/ Chinese/ Korean light and web novels.

They write better genre fiction that isn't just middle aged men eating bread and wine in a tavern being smarmy.
They rehash ancient philosophers albeit poorly and as a result are patrician tier.

I never read fiction.

Pynchon's landscapes are too broad for me. Like butter scraped over too much bread. After a while things tend to lose their significance, and then the only thing that saves him is his prose. Plus, his goofs and gags annoy the shit out of me.

DeLillo I prefer because there is a sense immediacy and significance, provided mostly through subtext, which I think he must have inherited from Faulkner (my favorite writer). DeLillo does fail in places too, don't get me wrong. His dialogue, for example, sounds as if he is speaking, not his characters.

Once I started coming to this board I only want to discuss novels I know and have stopped reading entirely.