/Bread/

Who here likes to bake their own bread?
Anyone have any special recipes they do?
Just baked pic related, came out too dense.

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/COLUMBIAN-HOME-PRODUCTS-6106-4LB-Black-Oval-Roaster/27456729
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I’m the user that posted this thread earlier and I never got around to posting the crumbshots before it was archived. The results where disappointing, probably should have proofed longer.

Bread bread. Post bread.

Second loaf was much the same.

Will you be continuing your experiments after this, Dr. Cornbread?

I'm about to go make some bread. Following the basic bitch bread recipe that always gets posted around here, with some slight modification since I won't be fermenting it for 12 hours:
500g bread flour
350g warm water
2tsp yeast
14g kosher salt

Makes a nice, crusty, chewy loaf after a 1 hour rise and letting it rise again on the baking sheet while the oven heats up. 450 for 25 mins for a whole loaf, 450 for 16 mins for two half-size baguettes. Won't have a crumb shot till tomorrow if the thread is still around since I have the rest of an older loaf to finish first.

Certainly. Maybe I’ll post a thread about making actual cornbread in the near future. I’ve always wanted to do it in a skillet, as much as I love cornbread muffins. Spoiler: I have very strong opinions about how much sugar there should be in cornbread.

Don't have to add much at all if you use creamed sweet corn. Also honey > sugar for corn bread.

Actually I’m of the opinion that you should never use creamed corn to make cornbread, and that you should use no more than a teaspoon of sugar at the very most. Cornbread is a savory bread.

Fucked up a sourdough starter last week. Won't be starting another until after the holidays, feelsbadman. Anybody got a good bread recipe for a dutch oven? Also I am only able to use one hand right now, fucking blows.

played with the extra dough and finally got it to not be super dry and crumbly but I can only afford all purpose flour to make bread with

>tfw flour is raising in the kitchen right now
I'm a bread newbie but it's pretty fun so far.

something about it is so satisfying

Yeah I noticed such a difference when I switched to bread flour. You can make AP work but you have to knead it for like 20 minutes.

Yeah, I used to bake bread a lot then I stopped when I lost my quarry tiles to a move. But I started up again just using sheet pans and it's been fine so far.

I didn't feel like making a new thread for this, but can anyone recommend me a bread machine that doesn't suck and isn't a total ripoff?

hands

50/50 White bread/whole wheat flour, about 55-60% hydration with some molasses and about half a stick of butter. Was just fucking around to be honest but it was decent.

That looks good! How does it taste?

Tasted good, nice and hardy which is what I was aiming for. Crumb is a little more open then my usual boules, I think I went a little gentler than usual punching it down.

has Veeky Forums ever made spoonbread? From the south but I've never had it personally. can it be made as a dessert or is it mainly a side?

I cooked some of my rye sourdough starter and it tasted like extra-sour German-style pumpernickel. It's still taking more than 12 hours to fully rise so I'm not baking with it yet, but it seems to be making good progress. I'm feeding 1:2.5:2 now (125% hydration, because 100% always formed a thick dry crust on the top).

more of a side, it's pretty savory. it's a lot like cornbread and shares most of the ingredients.

I always buy my bread from a man in Brussels.

So it's putting cornbread in a ramekin instead of a cast iron skillet.

I fed the wheat starter too and cooked the waste in the same way (pancake) and compared to the rye it was disappointingly mild, even though it rises faster than the rye. Is it normal for wheat to be less sour (50/50 plain/wholemeal)?

Deus vult

yeah I have a solid one, sorry about your starter, and your hand. Been keeping mine alive since June. This one DOES require a starter though:
400g- Starter, poolish style, fed and risen
300ml- Water
600g- Bread Flour(Sub 20g with rye, if you have it)
12g- Salt

1.) Mix all starter, water, and flour. Autolyse(rest) for 30 minutes.
2) Incorporate salt, dissolved in water.
3.) Knead. Proof for 4-5 hours.
4.) Bench and shape. Proof in fridge over night.
5.) Whenever next day. Remove from fridge and rest room temp 2 hours before baking.
6.) Preheat oven and dutch at 480F, convection, then drop to 430F when you put the dough in. Bake 25 minutes covered, then another 25+ uncovered.

>with some molasses and about half a stick of butter
>why

Here's the results, to shoot for. Hope it comes out good.

Was he 6 foot 4, and full of muscles?

crumbshot

I like baking scones

Is it possible to bake bread with only a large punch bowl, spoon for mixing, and a cookie sheet?

>was just fucking around to be honest
Reading comprehension.
Besides, people put butter/oil and sugar in their bread all the time. It's a pretty big loaf too so it's not like it tasted like pure butter

Fgts, wait till tonight. I got 4 loaves to bake. K???

this is kinda cool

>really like baking bread
>also really shit at baking bread
Feels bad, man

Dutch oven? Isn't that when you are in a bed with someone, fart under the covers and then put the covers over the other person? Like a poor man's gas chamber

That looks delicious. I have never tried to bake bread, or make sourdough for my pizza. Is it hard to ferment the dough properly?

Is it focaccia?

use a dutch oven, ya goof

75% whole spelt, 25% strong white wheat, overnight cold proofed, 20 minutes pressure steamed. Nice dense crumb and no crust.

i use a bowl basically the size of a punch bowl except plastic, you'll mostly mix with your hands if you don't very literally have autism and a cookie sheet is "okay" as long as it can hold up to 450-500F without being ruined

dust cookie sheet pretty heavily with cornmeal or put parchment paper though, bread won't just come off it like it does with earthenware

I usually just grab a can of bread from the store

Why wouldn't you want crust?
Cool, thanks for the info.

>Why wouldn't you want crust?
Bad texture, sometimes even cuts you for "artisan" bread.

>a can of bread

Those are clearly sandwiches, not tins of bread

I don’t own one nor do I have the space or money for one.

see the webm till the end.

One thread has me replaying symphony of the night
another has me wondering what deer pussy (male) feels like
now you faggots have me baking bread. hope it turns out tasty

i really want to get into baking bread, i've made a few which were nice and all (better than random generic breads) but nowhere as good as really good bread.
i feel like i need to add better/more flavour from herbs/nuts/whatever.
anyone got favourite recipes to share?

japan was a mistake

walmart.com/ip/COLUMBIAN-HOME-PRODUCTS-6106-4LB-Black-Oval-Roaster/27456729

replace your current roasting pan

You can buy that stuff at most American stores, too. It's actually pretty good, it's just bread baked in a can.

Feel you man.

My grandfather was a baker. Got senile dementia before i could ask him to teach me the art of making bread.

Nowdays, no matter how hard i try, my bread always ends up heavy and dense or way too chewey. Taste good, but for the life of me, i cant make some shitty fluffy bread.

let some whole wheat dough ferment overnight and use it in the bread recipe...

I just make the "no knead" King Arthur Flour recipe:
7 cups of flour
2 packets of yeast
3 cups of warm water
and a tablespoon of salt

Just mix into a dough and let it rise at room temp for two hours, then cover it and put it in the fridge (or outside or something if it's cold). You can keep the dough for up to a week. The cold keeps the yeast sleepy, but if you have a lot of time you can periodically take the dough out of the fridge, beat it down, and then let it rise again. When you're ready, bake it for 30 mins at 450 F.

Makes two or three nice crusty loaves.

>.gif
>not the animated version

Why even bother?

>dense
>heavy
>overly chewy
sounds like you may be overworking the dough

Not a bad suggestion, thanks user.

that looks gummy

Fermenting the dough as in the starter? Not really, no. I think most pitfalls occur trying to maintain a starter, and understanding how much power it has at the time of usage.
I started my 'starter' out with rye flour I let sit in open air for several days. This allowed ambient bacteria to land and kinda make a home in the flour. Then I mixed it with enough room temp water to make a thick pancake batter and left it in a dark spot for a couple days. Once it started to bubble and 'ferment', it gives off an alcoholic aroma. Then on you have to maintain a feeding schedule of discarding half and replacing it with more flour and water, and letting it double in size before either using it or refrigerating. Feeding it different flour affect the flavor, of course. Bread flour is pretty standard, but adding whole wheat and rye into regular feedings adds more acetic acid which contributes a lot of to a starter's 'sourness'. Also fermenting at the correct temperatures helps with this too. Fermenting a starter within 82-85F also facilitates the development of acetic acid.

Hope this helps everyone in thread, looking to begin their own starter.

you don't need to do all that, just make 100% hydration dough and add some active dry yeast and let it sit for a couple hours. that is a good enough starter for a beginner.

Put the excess starter in the fridge in a tupperware container with a lid and a weight on it (because it will burst from the fermentation) when you want to bake some bread, take the starter out and bulk up the starter with more 100% hydration dough and let it sit overnight, then use most of it in the recipe and put the rest back in the fridge. I've done this for more than a year. my starter is working great. mostly a bagel and loaf-pan guy.

100% whole wheat no knead artisan ciabatta

It's not gummy at all. You always get a shiny surface when you steam bread. It's initially sticky, but it dries within a few minute.

Made two loaves. Pic related was the 2nd which wasn't perfectly round at the top, but had a airy crumb. It was a bit crusty though. Kind of hurt to eat against the roof of the mouth unless eating with soup.
What was odd was the previous loaf I think was underproofed. It was denser, softer. But we found that was almost better to eat, as we could tear a chunk off if need be and the soft texture was nice

Are there any recipes that make a softer loaf with an airy texture? Or did I just royally screw up the recipe, which was 1000 grams flour,
700 grams water, 22 grams of salt and 4 grams instant yeast.

Made this bread the other day.

get out of here chef john

>softer loaf
Steaming gives you the best possible softness. See Mine didn't have an airy texture because I used mostly spelt, but if you use flour with more gluten it can be airy.

Wow this looks like a lump of human flesh grown for a skin graft or something

Are flours significantly different prices in your country? I'm in the UK and the difference between the price of all purpose, bread flour and wholewheat flour is 20%

The middle of that bread doesn't look fully cooked user.

It is fully cooked. It's only a small bread. I ate the whole thing right after I posted it.

What's the best bread recipe?

Whichever one you like

That looks fantastic man, I'll hav4 to try it out. How do I get my starter 'poolish?'

How do you get a rise like that?? My bread came out dense as these other guys. the closest i got to fluffy was a long ferment and a dutch oven.

Sorry i didn't read the whole thread, that pic just got me excited.

That method will give good results but you could also be having problems with your shaping of the dough or kneading, does it spread out during proofing or just go up? Its abit of a trick but you need to stretch the dough as you shape it, you want that outer layer of dough to be stretched about halfway to splitting, not enough and the dough goes out instead of up, to much and the dough splits when its springs in the oven. This all assumes your loaf has enough glutten in it, the poolish helps to take up some of the slack there, but proper kneading is still imporant!

The Bread Bakers apprentice has the best section on loaf forming I have seen.

I just recently lost all my bread recipes and photos, oh well, still have a great library. I may still have most on an old drive, need to get a case for it though.

Oh well.

Most of my breads are just wheat and or rye fresh ground and salt/water/yeast and olive oil or butter. Been working on sandwich loaves lately, going to try out my new pullman pan this weekend!

O k fgts, I told you to wait.

Any questions??

Here's another

Which is better, putting a pan of water in the oven with the bread or baking it in a dutch oven?

If you cover your starter with an air tight lid you won't get a crust. You're getting a false impression from that crust. You shouldn't need over 100% hydration. There are no negative effects of doing this.

Short answer is yes. If it was 100% whole wheat you would get more sour going on, but rye will probably still be more.

Several yeses and nos with this one.

The culture mainly comes from the flour itself. That's why we see different strains of bacteria and yeast in differently fed starters.
You can do a float test with your starter. If a scoop floats in water it is ready to use.
Adding things like rye or whole wheat will increase the ash content of the dough or starter which is what allows the acids to develop. Higher ash content higher acid content. Also acetic acid has a stronger taste than lactic acid. So what kind of culture you have matters a lot.

Dutch oven for sure. It's difficult to get just the right amount of water in the pan, and too much or too little means a shittier crust. With a good preheated Dutch oven it'll come out very good every time due to trapped steam.

The packet yeast you added in the beginning is probably dead if it's been that long. That kind of yeast can't survive in the environment that a sourdough culture creates. You probably have a proper starter culture at this point.

Neither is better, they give different results and it also depends on the dough to be cooked. Get good with both methods.

I prefer the pan of water or just spraying the inside of the oven, you can make larger or multiple loaves.

I use both methods, sometimes neither.

To lengthen to answer, it is the starch the yeast is turning into alcohol (sourness), rye generally has more starch so more material to get to sour quicker. This is why starchy things like potato and banana are sometimes added to the starters, the banana also adds sugar to help feed the yeast. The wheat will get as sour as the rye for the most part, it just takes longer to get there.

What's the formula?
What's the procedure?
Also, just using whole red wheat makes it damn near impossible to get good crumb. I very rarely go over a couple percent whole red wheat for my standard loaf and maybe push it up as far as 20 percent for the heartier loaves.
If you want to increase the natural sweetness of your cornbread try toasting some or all of the corn flour in the oven for a few minutes until it just changes color a bit and tastes a bit sweeter. It'll also kind of enhance that corn flavor.

Sorry, but that's not the case. Check this post.
There are differences between rye and wheat, but starch isn't what makes the difference in sourness.

Who the fuck eats bread anymore???

Starch is part of it, add some of that very refined potato or corn start to a starter and see what happens. Ash is a part as well, along with everything else in the starter and the varieties of yeast used, temperature, how you feed it, how often you feed, how regularly you feed it.

As I said I was lengthening a simple answer, not correcting what was and had been said.

Help a newb out. What is the purpose of putting in a pan of water when baking bread? Do I need that steam to get a good crust?

Steam gives you the crisp crust, if you want a sandwich loaf or that wonderful thin pumpernickel crust steam is not so useful.

But ash content is what defines the limit of acid development. If you're getting a full fermentation it will have a bigger effect than sugar/fermentation fuel. Yes, the sugars matter because the culture needs to eat, but the end result has more to do with the mineral/ash content of the dough.

But you can not do it with just the ash, and I suspect you can do it without ash.

And the experiment begins! Curiosity got the best of me, could not decide if I should add sugar but I will give a gander tomorrow night and perhaps add it. I suspect it will just end up like those terrible overnight sourdough starters that use 2 tablespoons of yeast, but I had to find. Probably less yeasty then those quick starters with a very simple sour.

To elaborate on that simple answer I gave. Moist air conducts heat better then dry air, so when you slip you dough into that wet air it sets the crust sooner sealing in the the moisture of the dough which keeps the dough moist during baking so it cooks faster and keeps the crust from expanding inward and leaving you with a nice thin crisp crust. You can add the steam at anytime during the baking for different results, so you can bake 5 or 10 minutes the spritz the oven with water to set the crust abit later for a different sort of crust. So it sets the crust and speeds baking. This is mainly for high temp quick baking but it can be applied for various results all the way down to purely steamed bread which is not a crisp bread at all.

This

I let the wheat starter turn to soup and cooked some of it (fried as pancake) and it was more sour this time, but still slightly less sour than the rye. The soup form makes very fragile pancakes.

hazelnut spelt loaf i recently made