A very nice Chinese place has these, they start at like $40 for 2 and goes to $200

A very nice Chinese place has these, they start at like $40 for 2 and goes to $200.
Is this shit worth the price?
What does it taste like?

a bologna

fancy sea snails

$60 fancy?

no

This is a vanity dish. Chinese people will rarely request it during special occasions like dining with a boss or fellow management from work, a wedding reception, or milestone birthday celebrations for the elderly. The taste is good, but it's nothing special or reflective of its cost––just pure vanity.

they come from a can anyways try to buy those instead

I've had abalone cooked by a 2 star chef, that got his stars by specializing in abalone.

They were just ok. Some people love them, but the traditionally expensive seafood dishes like lobster and especially crab are more worth of the mark up

Fun story, I once worked in a very big yacht club. One of the best jobs I've ever had, but one of Tue worst in terms of quality. We could act like fucking animals from a bourdain book on the line, but "quality of food" or "pride in our work" was not something valued.

Anyway, four times while informed there we put abalone on as a special. Once it was for a week. I was pistachio crusted, and had burre blance iirc.

This cost 65 dollars a plate, with mash and veg.

It was actually a frozen patty we called scalone: 85 percent bay scallops, 5 percent abalone. Apparently enough to call it abalone for this particular yacht club.

We sold it like wildfire. On a slow night, we did 70ish cover. 65 of them were scabalone.

Either way, I'll NEVER order Abalone in a restaurant ever, because I know what we did at an apparently high class restaurant. I can't ever trust it.

>Jeff's Flaming Wok
>Flaming
if you eat here Jeff will personally suck your dick under the table

That is a fun story, thanks for sharing.

Here in Northern California it's pretty easy to dive for abalone. They're massive too. Good food. But I also have never ordered it in a restaurant and wouldn't plan to.

Most Chinese delicacies like Bird Nest/Shark Fin/Sea Cucumber, etc. have not much taste to them. They are just expensive or considered prestigious because they were once hard to get. Abalone still has some taste to it at least, but it's just a mild shellfish taste. Most of the flavor in that dish comes from the oyster/chicken sauce.

>This is a vanity dish
>just pure vanity
>vanity

posting in this thread just to use big words.

why not contribute to the thread instead of trying to be smart.

>vanity is a big word
lol

millennials believe they can't get jobs because of "the meximuslims"

>milenials

there he goes again boys
Isn't he the smartest?

Islatinx*

Because he's right you shitlard, unlike you who only complains about the word without adding any actual information, nigger.
We do only eat it as a special meal on occasions.
t.chinese

>a 6 letter word that's also the name of a Smurf is too big for user

Looks like some testicles sack cut open in half.

It's worth trying, it's not bad or anything
Whether you think it's worth the price is how much you value money
It's like a very savory/buttery clam with a more pleasant texture and is larger.

This has to be bait. Fuck (you) if it is, doubly fuck you if it isn't.

>a 6 letter word that's also the name of a Smurf is too big for user

I suspect user is from MS or AL, tbqf.

lol I prepare lobsters for restaurants in my city. I feel sorry for anyone buying them... Crab is far better.

how do you mistake what abalone actually looks like vs some glued together meat?

No, it's just a soy sauce flavoured chewy balls. Go spend that on something better.

M-muhlinuhhl!
Nevermind that the whole "don't use big words XDDDD" is perpetuated by uneducated boomers that grew up not relying on reading, something millenials do almost every waking moment of their lives.

but he is literally correct in every way possible. The Chinese love these because they looks like the traditional gold medallion, representing good fortune and wealth.

>Is this shit worth the price?
No.

>What does it taste like?
It's been awhile since I had any but I recall it was somewhat tough and not particularly tasty. Mine probably came from a can though. So maybe fresh ones taste better?

Googled scalone for craps and laughs and I see others recognize it by that term and in the way as you describe. Shits expensive to so what you charged per plate is probably about right assuming however you threw it together looked the part and tasted good. Seeing as you sold a lot of them I guess it must have been alright. I’m now curious to try this scalogna abomination