Do you think knowing how to write in cursive, aside from your signature, is truly necassary...

Do you think knowing how to write in cursive, aside from your signature, is truly necassary? Or is it basically a neat party trick at this point?

Other urls found in this thread:

script.byu.edu/Pages/German/en/kurrent.aspx
suetterlinschrift.de/Englisch/Sutterlin.htm
vimeo.com/128428182
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>thinking that art of a thought is more important than the message itself

If you're not writing a medival book why bother, everything is electronic anyway now.

Except if you're trying to be an "artsy" hispter chick, nobody cares.

My handwriting when printing is total shit. I have to write cursive because it's just much more legible for me.

Its a nice way to increase the speed of your hand, since I am the only one reading my rough copies I worry about whether or not the text is legible to me.

don't they teach cursive in school? my school did.

Same for me. My cursive is more legible

Not really. It gets pushed back and condensed for the sole purpose of teaching signatures. There are other ways to improve fine motor skills that are "more practical."

warning to americunts: half of yurop teaches its children cursive before print

Lifting your pen off the paper after every letter is a waste of time.

Writing in block letters is for children and high-school dropouts. If you want to be taken seriously and seen as a grown-up you need to write in cursive.

Idk, I'd feel dumb if I wrote a whole text with print. Cursive is faster, but I use print here and there for section titles and similar stuff that I want to highlight.
t. euro

In Italy nobody would even think of writing in print

huh. that is kinda blowing my mind. I just assumed all schools did it.

It might be popular in other countries but in America it's falling out of fashion. The only times I've ever needed cursive is for my signature and the statement on the standardized tests.

yeah, sure. it's no biggie. anyone can teach themselves cursive in an afternoon.

I can't write in print. My letters look awkward and uneven and they're largely inconsistent. My cursive/calligraphy is the only thing I take pride in, even though it doesn't really matter.

I don't write, I smear squiggly lines across the page.

writing in cursive is faster

I've never learned how to write in print, I can do it but it's really slow

in my country you learn it in elementary school

It's part of your personality. I love my cursive and even learned a dead form called Sütterlin. It's just so beautiful.

That's pretty nice, what resources did you use to learn that script?

Not him, but I learned Kurrent by script.byu.edu/Pages/German/en/kurrent.aspx

Mostly the list with the equivalent modern letters and old letters from my local antiquarian library. Once you know how to make them correctly, you should try and just use it to make shopping lists and such to ingrain it. It's not that hard.

>script.byu.edu/Pages/German/en/kurrent.aspx
Also:
suetterlinschrift.de/Englisch/Sutterlin.htm

I filled tens and tens of notebooks with repetutive cursive excercises but I never learned cause my hands are shake as fuck. I hate cursive. Fuck cursive. Who needs to write cute anyways?

not

Another nice example.

Thanks lad, might practice one of these. I liked the font from the script Hannibal wrote in, might try and find that.

It's great for private notes, at least if you don't have a german granny. Especially once you are fluent in it and it will become much more narrow and hard to differentiate with all those letters partially looking totally different.

It's necessary if you don't want to be viewed as a child

Pretty handwriting is for little girls with sparkly pens

And self confident men which like to be seen as mature enough to know how to not write in block letters like someone from specialEd drawing with crayons.

>nimrod tier
vertically aligned girl script
>practical man tier
block caps
>homeschool tier
neat cursive
>autism tier
gothic script
>left handed tier
smudged and uneven script
>clever tier
half-cursive, half script
>god tier
shorthand/ciphers

Being a little girl is something we should all aspire to be

from europ, can barely write legible print

Self confident men don't care how they're seen. What are they, women?

Do they not teach cursive anymore in school?

I am 25 and never learned it (Australia)

>cursive is "artsy"
Is this what americans think?

It's for plebeians. Barbarians and tramps tip tap their fingers on their mobile phones, while patricians use shorthand.

Half? Name the countries that don't teach it.

No, why teach kids cursive when everything is typed?

>smudged and uneven script

hihihih, good one

Too bad you will always be relegated to talk about "them" in third person.

>wasting time and ink on gay ass curliques

Wtf, I love writing like a 8th grade girl now.

The whole point of cursive is to save time. If you write cursive slowly, agonizing over it, you're either bad at it or doing calligraphy

Just like clean shoes and a sharp hair cut, a clean and sharp cursive script is a sign of you investing time in seemingly "irrelevant" things to better yourself. It's the small things.

Also as a woman I can assure you that if you write me a note and your block letters look like a retarded kindergardener, this is how I will remember you.

You don't need to all full fancy ringely fag. Just have a clean cursive style, pic related is called Deutsche Normalschrift, it's the basic german cursive everyone learns. German efficency.

>i'm a woman
Of course only woman care about this shit. I bet you change your font to a cursive one when writing electronic documents.

Also why the fuck would I write you a note?. I'd just send you a text message because we live in the 21st century.

I don't have a mobile phone and I like to let small notes for my partner in his books, just like he hides some (unironically) in the kitchen. Presentation matters. If you only concentrate on function over form you can as well just eat Soylent and live in modern architectur like a communist dreamer.

Let me guess, you simple never learned cursive of any kind in your school? It's actually even the easier and quicker script, as you can depending on your style just make zick-zack lines without lifting your pen. As I said, german efficency. There is no rational reason to write in block letters.

>If you only concentrate on function over form you can as well just eat Soylent and live in modern architectur like a communist dreamer.
I unironically do these. Not exactly soylent because it will ruin your health but my diet is very basic. And I live in a commie block.

>As I said, german efficency. There is no rational reason to write in block letters.
There's no reason to write with a pen or pencil in the modern age. Typing is both faster and creates more legible documents. Also I think I have some kind of neurological problem that keeps me away from cursive writing. I learned it in school but I still have a very hard time reading texts written in cursive. I literally cannot read Maybe I'm just not habituated.

>I unironically do these. Not exactly soylent because it will ruin your health but my diet is very basic. And I live in a commie block.
But do you enjoy a delicious steak, a classical building or sculpture? If you can enjoy beauty, you should at least be able to understand why people value a nice script. There are even people who take it as a sign of your personality.

You might be interested in this documentary, it's related to beauty:
vimeo.com/128428182

>Typing is both faster and creates more legible documents.
Actually you can remember things written in hand far better, making it ideal for learning and taking notes you want to remember. Also, making yourself dependand on technology is silly. I always see it when the internet is down and people just freak out because they use google as their external brain.

>Also I think I have some kind of neurological problem that keeps me away from cursive writing.
Sure, that would be an argument but you might want to check if actually learning it wouldn't help you. I have some issues myself and making stuff slow and consciously helps me to a) remember them and not beeing distracted by modern life and b) get a higher feeling of archivment. It does help. Sadly many school aren't that great at teaching, it should be rather called force feeding. Don't let it get ruined for yourself just because of bad teachers.

What you linked is Sütterlin, nearly nobody can read it because the letters are completely different, pic related. Above is Sütterlin, than come different kinds of common cursive from 1930 till today and block letters as well as the "new" script the fucking retards want to make happen. The third from above is the way most germans write. Can you read it?

Has anyone taught themselves shorthand? This would be very handy if i ever did reporting. But also a lot of othet things

He didn't say they don't teach it

>zick-zack lines
In English we say zig-zag

Please stop responding to attention whores who claim to be women.

Yeah, I could have looked it up, but I was too lazy so I choose the subtle germanization of the anglosphere.

>ree there are no Mädchen on ze internet

There has always been a traditionally upper class disdain for legible handwriting, see Shakespeare's comment in Hamlet: "I once did hold it, as our statists do,. A baseness to write fair, and laboured much. How to forget that learning"
Orwell in 1984 spoke of "the neat handwriting of the illiterate."

Yet the inability to write clearly is quite telling also. There are some very good books on handwriting improvement; Americans will probably want to learn Spencer or Palmer, Europeans Copperplate, Italic or something similar.
All it takes is a decent book, some other resources, a pencil, and eventually a good pen and ink, plenty of scrap paper and some daily practice.

If I had put the time into learning a language or an instrument that I put into learning cursive, I would speak that language semi fluently. And I can't write cursive. I can't really write print either. My hands can't handle fine motor skills like that.

>mfw americans don't know how to write in cursive

Practice cursive by writing notes about the book you're reading or the language you're learning.