Best closing lines

book

>Ulysses
>I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Other urls found in this thread:

throughthefringe.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/top-10-closing-lines-in-english-literature/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>And thus ends the tale of the brothers Karamazov.

>And after it was all said and done, Hal fell to his knees, begging for an end to his life, a life of infinite jest.

Blake?

Is Ulysses the trump of literature?

>And after it was all said and done, Ahab fell to his knees, begging for something to run his lips upon, a Moby-Dick; or, The Whale.

What do you even mean by this?

Like a dog.

>
“I will still get angry at Ivan the coachman, I will still argue, I will express my thoughts ineptly, there will be a wall between the holy of holies of my soul and other people, even my wife; I will still blame her for my own terror and then repent of it, I will still not understand with my reason why I pray, and will go on praying - but my life now, my whole life, regardless of whatever may happen to me, each minute of it, is not only not meaningless, as it were before, but possesses the undoubted meaning of that goodness I have the power to put into it!”

He keeps repeating "yes" over and over. He's trying to associate his message with positive feelings in the same way Trump repeats "win" or "big".

/pol/shitters, everyone.

>Blood Meridian
>And they are dancing, the board floor slamming under the jackboots and the fiddlers grinning hideously over their canted pieces. Towering over them all is the judge and he is naked dancing, his small feet lively and quick and now in doubletime and bowing to the ladies, huge and pale and hairless, like an enormous infant. He never sleeps, he says. He says he'll never die. He bows to the fiddlers and sashays backwards and throws back his head and laughs deep in his throat and he is a great favorite, the judge. He wafts his hat and the lunar dome of his skull passes palely under the lamps and he swings about and takes possession of one of the fiddles and he pirouettes and makes a pass, two passes, dancing and fiddling at once. His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

> Then Jesus said, "The End."

Final sentence of God's "The Bible"

Lolita

>Lolita
>He waved. "Uh, well I'll see you later, Lolita!"

Didn't it end with the children he heard in his mind?

>"Who are you, smoothskin?"

>"I am Legend: now a major motion picture starring Will Smith"

FFS

Someone tell me that's not an excerpt. It sounds like that "has anyone ever been as far as" meme.

It's real and it's genius

Agreed

The Birds, The Frogs, & The Mosquitoes

Can't remember the closing lines sorry. But they were truly ebin.

>he's not familiar with arguably the greatest passage in the English language

If you were in Ireland you would probably be arrested by the literature police as we speak

If only I had been born long enough ago to get away with writing such pure shit that idiots looking to be deep would consider me a genius based solely on how uniquely I could write poorly

You're genuinely retarded. That passage is absolutely sublime, and you will never even write something 1% as good as that in your lifetime.

>"no," said stavrogin to pyotr stepanovich, "you are the real demons sometimes translated as the possessed of this town!"

That passage is babble and only stands as a testament to show how people can be so easily duped by what they're supposed to think is good.

I know that you think you're being contrarian, but you're actually just being reddit. But please, tell me why exactly you think a famous passage from a celebrated work of literature is actually garbage, even though every literary critic and scholar disagrees with you. The sublimity and deep human thought and emotion, as well as poetics in that passage is enough to make even a hardened person shed tears.

>But the man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less cocksure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning
to the unfathomable Mystery which it tries, forever vainly, to comprehend.

I don't see how criticising an incoherent slab of word shit is being contrarian. And no it's not good no and no but no no No (I put no in caps for some deep reason No doubt).

I'm a genius too now

And then the explosion comes, a shock-wave that demolishes the house, and after it the fireball of her burning, rolling outwards to the horizon like the sea, and last of all the cloud, which rises and spreads and hangs over the nothingness of the scene, until I can no longer see what is no longer there; the silent cloud, in the shape of a giant, grey and headless man, a figure of dreams, a phantom with one arm lifted in a gesture of farewell.

>incoherent
It's perfectly understandable and completely coherent. You just have no idea what you're talking about.

>and I thought well as well him as another

Yeah, almost too coherent

I like them Sam I am, I do like green eggs and ham!

OMG I LOVE THIS LIST
throughthefringe.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/top-10-closing-lines-in-english-literature/

Literary critic and scholar here: no, the Molly chapter is overrated.

>Molly chapter
>doesn't know that it's called penelope
>literary scholar
Really gets my noggin joggin.

"But even an automatic can't jam when the trigger hasn't been pulled."

Wait is the joke supposed to be that it turns into a swear? Thats odd for the simpsons

I know him, the great gatsby.