I want to open a simplified gastropub. 20 seats. Peasant tapas, a couple specialties, plus a bar for 10...

I want to open a simplified gastropub. 20 seats. Peasant tapas, a couple specialties, plus a bar for 10. What is the most important thing to consider?

Top three are location, location, location

Wtf are peasant tapas? Like one slice of bread?

how you're going to pay off your debt when you inevitably close after hemorrhaging money for 3 months

Easy diagram

Very simple and quick to prepare, small portions. Mozza pesto tomato panini. Shwarma and feta on roti. Plain wood oven pizza by the slice. Kalamata and crackers. Small international plates to keep the ouzo and beer flowing. Specials would be fish and chips and Sunday roast.

enjoy the bankrrupcy

I guess a better way to think of it as a tapas bar with a limited menu and focus on ingredients. Surely a bar is more reliable than a restaurant?

profitability of food and room services:
1. Events (caterings, min 200 pax for event)
2. Hotels
3. Nightclubs and bars
4. Restaurants

If you want to get money with little investment, just make a nightclub with pretty big titted idiots. Even an idiot can serve a drink and charge 10 bucks a drink, and now there's auto change register machines, in case they are too stupid to calculate the correct changes.

how you're going to make rent with a 20 seat pub.

The most important thing to consider is that you probably won't make enough money with 30 seats total unless you charge a lot.

Small place, small rent. The Queen Vic in DC is tiny, but exceptional. And rent is cheap where I'm at. Restaurants are enormous warehouse affairs here, it's disgusting.

What is your budget OP? How far into the process are you as far as opening a location goes? Do you have a space to operate out of? A menu? Ideal pricing? Equipment? Theres a lot of important shit to consider but it all depends on where you're at in the process.

This. With only 20 seats you better have 40 cheeks every night if you wanna make rent.

None of those are even tapas tho. Why has every appetizer have to be called tapas now?

What if I own the building? Upstairs is home. Downstairs is kitchen and front.

I'm at budget. Ideal pricing would be cheap eats, fair booze. The food is not the draw, it's a nice perk to have while socializing. A reputation for quality fare that is a break from local menus (Mexican) would help, but I'm not interested in running a full restaurant. The bar is the show. Atmosphere would be low lights, dark paint, dark wood stain.

Understood. Location is the hard part. I own property, but would need to get it rezoned for business. There are four apartment buildings nearby/within walking distance, but I don't know if this is enough.

I'm in a hot dry climate with meager foot traffic. Nobody walks. There's not even a sidewalk, but it could get built. Everyone lives in suburbs, and downtown is a commercial/municipal shitshow; no apartment buildings down there. Target customer is young professionals and daddy's credit cards who want a taste of the big city, something besides chains or steakhouses in their shithole town.

>What if I own the building etc.
Do you own it or is it in mortgage? Also property taxes, water, insurance, electricity, staff, food, booze. The overhead is immense.

If you haven't watched pic relateds mind of a chef episodes yet I suggest you do. She is an owner/operator of a small floorspace restaurant in Brooklyn. Good insights.

Just wanted to say I wish you luck. Sounds like a genuinely nice concept and I would absolutely frequent a place like this.

>What is the most important thing to consider?
Where to hang the noose when you inevitably go bankrupt

Thanks my man. You're giving me hope.

Can't go bankrupt if I do a fuckton of work AND keep my own books instead of paying others to do it for me. I only need enough cashflow to stay operating and feed myself. I'm not going to take out any huge kind of loan for this. And I'll move to a college town and set up there if need be.

>I'm not going to take out any huge kind of loan for this

If you don't have any debt to service you almost can't fail. That's where most people fuck up. The best way is to start out small w/o any debt and expand as the business warrants it and you can use the cash you've accumulated for the expansion instead of a (((loan))). You might have to pinch pennies and live austerely for a few years, but it can work this way. It's how most immigrants start out.

Hmmm... can you tell the complete menu? Because I don't like what I'm looking at.

>small pub
>tapas
>college town

Youre not getting it.
You are not going to survive trying to feed off a very small slice of an already tiny pie.

No its not. Almost everything you just said is wrong.

>Can't go bankrupt

In a college town you make your money on the drinks not the food dummy. Several places can all survive like this
>T. Chicoan

I would become a regular to a place like this. I hate eating out and looking around at 50+ people nowadays. Simple, small, no frills.

OP if you stay out of debt you can afford to charge less per dish to keep people like me around and it'll be possible, if you take out a loan you won't survive with only 30 seats unless you go full hipster.

Goodluck nigger

t. Schlomostein

I know a guy that has a restaurant with 4 tables
charges 80 dollars desgustation menu, has 200 buck wines
he's fucking loaded

For now
But then the memewheel will turn and people will stop coming. Then he'll spend all his money trying to bring back customers that have moved onto the next fad

>Good fine dining goes out of style
Lol

The concept doesn't, but where you get it does.
People will move on.
Something like 70% of small businesses fail. Higher in the food industry

But not if you're established. It's very hard to get there but once you are it's hard to fuck up because people are creatures of habit.

I have absolutely no idea, but good luck OP.

>people are creatures of habit.
No, people are creatures of novelty.
You can't sustain a restaurant on the few autistic regulars.
It isn't the 70s any more. The only thing people eat regularly is fast food. The rest is novelty. Some woman posts a picture on instragram. Then everyone flocks there. Then off to the next place.

Hahahahaha fuck you better be joking lad

The idea seems neat, but your tapas are shit.

Also
>ouzo and beer
>mostly Mexican food around you
>no foot traffic

Where the fuck do you live?

Yeah, it sounds more like just a bar menu than actual tapas

heres a bump for op. hope all goes well. its cool to follow your dreams

Seconded

make it cheap

The biggest problem you have is that you have to ask one of the most cooking-retarded forums imaginable for advice on how to build a restaurant. If you're serious, just remember that gastropubs with well-thought apps are basically the way to go now if you want to make money (while at the same time having some level of integrity with respect to the plates). Nobody with disposable restaurant money likes going to dive bars with wings anymore. Put a couple decent salads on, frites with fine herbs and maybe a few aiolis, and some classic French-American dishes on the menu. Hire a great bar manager. You're pretty much set as long as no one on the staff has a drinking problem.

that your idea is shite stop calling things that aren't tapas, tapas.

>Everyone lives in suburbs, and downtown is a commercial/municipal shitshow; no apartment buildings down there. Target customer is young professionals and daddy's credit cards who want a taste of the big city, something besides chains or steakhouses in their shithole town.

Are there any people in your town actually like this? How have you probed that there is actually a demand for a hipster restaurant?

Who would want to go to your shitty restaurant for dumbed down versions of food they can get elseware without the oppressive environment and for an astronomically lower price point?

Restaurants tend to get a big push of people for the first few months to a year while its new then things taper off, you need to not delude yourself into thinking you made it until they go away or you have a couple years of expenses saved up. Enjoy it but save every fucking penny you can, once the novelty wears off and they move on to the next thing you have to build your customer base. If you can get that first push to last long enough to get a good nest egg you can make it.

I know alot of the people in that crowd, as soon as they talk about a new place I go to the place they had been talking up before because I know it will be quite and sparsely populated. I have gotten to know most of the local food industry because of this and it has become known that I am the harbinger of slow times to the new restaurants. but they like me since I am a reliable regular customer and I am very good local color for tourists and keep them chatting and drinking for hours.

Thanks Mike.

I knew I would get something for that one but I kinda expected more.

Or at least something I would not have to look up.

I do not like wearing shoes either, other then that I think we would not get along at all.

This tbqh

A place like that isn’t gonna get a lot of business in a location with cheap rent. That’s the menu of a gentrified tourist town, which never have low rent because the locations are so profitable. Places with low rent are gonna be your poor neighborhoods and blue-collar towns, places where people can barely even pronounce the names of the dishes on your menu. All they want is a Busch Light and a burger or hot wings, because they’re the kind of clientele who think Panda Express is exotic.