Name one thing Veeky Forums has taught you about cooking. I'll wait

Name one thing Veeky Forums has taught you about cooking. I'll wait.

Shake onion powder on the outside of grilled cheese befor cooking on top of the butter for a nice addition

People who hate cooking will still waste most of their day discussing it if it makes them feel smart.

Veeky Forums taught me how to make gravlax. It tastes great and impresses company. Thanks, guys!

To hate it

not to use sweet onions for cooking, use them raw.

I don't cook, I'm just here for the memes and horror stories.

You cook grilled cheese in butter? I'm gonna hurl. :X

How to make the mother sauces.
Also that the mother sauces exist.

I learn by the stupid mistakes of everyone here.

Adding something acidic to tomato sauces and some banger meatloaf recipe

>came on here to learn cooking
>found memes instead
I'll take it

If somebody brings me a jar of potato soup and it's brown, don't eat it.

Literally nothing. I used to be a professional, and I sometimes post my breads in bread threads, but Veeky Forums is pretty much just for bad food horror, and shitty webm's.

Veeky Forums has pointed me towards a lot of good cooking resources instead of teach me a lot things. like CookingInRussia youtube channel and books, those have taught me a lot.

This is my first time here, but /al/ck has already taught me moderation and hopefully some of the fine folk here will also teach me to use baking powder and baking soda!

nah, just use olive oil and fresh cracked black pepper instead!

I learn by eating my own mistakes. Cooked the weeks work meals tonight, its going to be a long week and hopefully a lesson learned!

Same
>found Veeky Forums, let's learn how to cook
>learned how to cook without Veeky Forums because this place is fucking retarded
>still browse daily because memes and shit
Not bad at all

To lower stove temp to heat the insides of food without burning the outside. Which makes me feel stupid as fuck because I should have known that

Borneo posted a recipe for candied fennel that was pretty good. Not very advanced cooking at all but I don't think I'd have thought of candying it on my own.

Chili needs more peppers than tomatoes.

that cream is not needed for carbonara and that if I use it I should kill myself

None

Cook some onions and garlic in a pan with a little bit of butter. When they're done (I like them slightly black) plate them up and cook your steak. While your steak is resting deglaze the pan with some cream for a delicious sauce. You can also add the onions back into the sauce if you like.

To avoid cooking

kek

It taught me to always boil my mushrooms.
And to get spices at the dollar store because I can get them for 50 cents there.

boiling fresh mushrooms? as opposed to frying? why?

Well, first of all, usually all mushrooms should be boiled thoroughly before even starting to cook anything with them. Well, technically not all but most. You should realise that mushrooms take in all the pollution and crap, so it is a wise safety measure even when the mushroom is edible just like that. Then again, if one has a favourite spot and all the, he can prolly estimate the quality and such without even tasting. I myself like to always be sure.

That A1 steak sauce brings out all the flavour in every single bite

It really complements the tomato sauce flavour when I dip my steaks.

This is a troll by the way

Don't be laughable, pumpkin.

that meme vide exists

how to cook steaks

Using galette pan for cooking pizza pasta at super hot temperatures works wonders, thanks dude

There are some mushrooms which do need to be boiled first, or should be, but you are not likely to come across them unless you are a mushroom hunter. They are mushroom which are widely considered poisonous and boiling them is one way to make them edible, pickling is another.

99.8% of edible mushrooms will just become slimy and insipid, so if you like buttons/crimini, this would likely be to your liking.

no fast way about cooking, that certainly takes time to learn.

Veeky Forums turned me on to better than bullion for those times when I am out of stock or unable to make some up real fast

I learned autists like food.

I learned that no matter how bad I think I am at cooking, there's always someone worse. Always.

How to properly not fuck up hard boiled eggs

Veeky Forums got me into fermenting my own hot sauce. I'm very grateful for that. It also taught me the benefits of using a mixture of whole dried peppers for chili instead of off the rack powders. However, fuck the anti-bean autism here, I still use them.

cream makes it better, never listen to the most vocal Veeky Forumsucks