Black Arts of bakiing powder/soda

Evening Veeky Forums, so how do you use this stuff, I have been fighting with it for years but I can find no real logic to how it works. Are there any rules of thumb or general guidelines? Or do you just have to go by trial and error? I generally just try and find a recipe that has a similar consistency/acidity to what I am making and start there, but that does not always work.

Any cook books that actually explain it? I have looked at every book the local book stores and library has, but no luck, best I have found is to not half the leavening if you half the recipe but do double if you double the recipe, if you want to triple or quadruple good luck, best off making multiple batches.

Whats up with this stuff? Any help? I sure would like to get my quick breads up to snuff but lately I have just been falling back on the yeast breads since they give me the freedom to follow my wims, but it would be nice to be able to follow my wims and not have to wait 4 hours to 2 days for the results.

Baking soda can be used to make baked foods rise without yeast.

Baking powder, I have no idea. All I use it for is for baking chicken wings.

Not very helpful but I appreciate the bump!

Putting baking soda in the oven at a high temperature will turn it into washing soda (sodium carbonate), it is more caustic and is a good general purpose house cleaner. Slightly irritates the skin though.

Dissolve some baking soda in water and you basically have a liquid tart-tasting antacid that won't give you kidney stones if you keep using it unlike calcium carbonate based ones like Tums.

Washing soda is about half the price of baking soda, /diy/ would probably like this info though, they like doing things in the least cost effective way possible.

While easy on the kidneys its bad on the digestive tract though.

I've never been there but from what I know about diy people is that they mix baking soda and vinegar thinking it's some kind of super cleaner and it's retarded because they're literally canceling out the effects of both.

This thread is about crack cocaine. Please go somewhere else.

You are talking out of your ass.

long term use of it for stomach acid can cause.

hypokalemia, or potassium blood deficiency
hypochloremia, or chloride blood deficiency
hypernatremia, or rise in sodium levels
worsening kidney disease
worsening heart failure
muscle weakness and cramps
increased stomach acid production (ulcers)

Thats one of their memes I think, along with mixing bleach and ammonia.

That's just neutralizing stomach acid in general, nothing here is specific to baking soda. Same shit would happen to you with Tums but with a higher risk of kidney stones added in. If you feel the need to neutralize your stomach all the time either you're eating like shit or you should go to a doctor.

Yea the reaction just produces co2, water and a salt and literally does nothing for cleaning. Only thing I've heard to use the two for is clogged drains but it's doing jack shit

Just literally use lye for drains. It melts everything. Keep it away from garbage disposals though unless you want it to melt through.

Tums lacks the salt which is soda.

Neither are a problem unless you ignore the problem for years instead of seeing a doctor.

I just eat a banana, works a treat and is tasty.

I'd rather put a little more sodium in my body that I can piss out immediately than calcium which bioaccumulates.

if you mix vinegar with baking soda its explodes

Baking soda needs an acid to produce CO2 and make stuff rise. Baking powder produces CO2 when heated by itself. Both can be used in place of yeast to make quick breads or other baked goods like biscuits, cookies, muffins, and the like.

Baking power produces gas twice, once when it gets wet and once when it get hot and also reacts differently when soda is in the mix. Or maybe it is soda reacts differently when powder is in the mix, not sure which.

I am looking more for guidelines regarding quantities for predictable results and more about how they both react with each other and other things. Powder at least does react with things other then heat and moisture, some batters seem to negate it, but I can find no logic.

Mesmerizes fridges, and makes ceramic stove-tops like new. What's the problem?

>What's the problem?

Mostly its people who think they are clever, that and I want to be able to develop my own recipes with less trial and error.