How do people with full freezers keep track of the stuff at the bottom...

How do people with full freezers keep track of the stuff at the bottom? You can't get to it unless you excavate the top layers and pull a lot of stuff out. Have you ever left stuff at the bottom of the freezer for years? Have you ever tried to resurrect extremely old or frost-burned food? How did it turn out?

filling such a freezer with store bought food makes zero sense unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

only acceptable reasons having such a freezer are if you are a hunter or do a lot of vegetable gardening and prefer frozen vegetables to canned.

Please explain this to my mom. My parents are now the only ones at home, yet she keeps talking about buying a chest freezer because a normal fridge freezer is apparently too small for 2 people who barely even eat frozen food. Is this just the natural order of things, for people to accumulate more fridge than they need?

Well, once you have the capacity, you tend to expand the number of things you consider freezing. For example, if frozen turkeys are on sale, you can suddenly buy 5 of them without worrying about where to put them. That sort of thing. People also toss marginally-freezable things like bread in there and forget about them.

>marginally-freezable things like bread
Personally I don't get how it's possible to eat an entire loaf of bread in one day, so freezing it seems like the best option. And bread really doesn't suffer at all from being frozen.

Essentially Try to find a shallower freezer? You could argue for the electricity waste/cost. If all else fails, just fill the bottom half with ice. Takes up space, preserves the cold, drastically reduces energy required.

Just put food in plastic shoeboxes like pic related. Then you can quickly remove items in a hierarchical mannner.

Oops

>he doesn’t keep a written manifest of the contents if his chest freezer on a clipboard nearby said freezer
Only retards don’t do this.

I have an upright deep freeze and I don't have any issue. Its mostly used for meat because I stock up when shit is on sale.

what's your defrost procedure?

I usually toss it in the fridge depending on the weight. Sometimes I defrost it in the sink in cold water if I forgot to take it out beforehand. There are a handful of foods that taste noticeably worse if the meat was frozen, but most are fine.

Hunter/fisherman here. Yeah I don't understand why people that don't have big cut up animals to store have freezers. Even if you buy turkeys after thanksgiving for 90% off you're still paying to store them.

I suppose the only exception is people that will buy a whole cow or a whole pig. That's cool

its called food being on sale. but you faggots wouldnt understand because you still live in your moms basement and she pays all your bills. when you grasp the concept of saving money you will understand.

fucking faggots

energy expenses, bro

> faggots
why the homophobia?

By buying an Energy Star unit built between 2001 and 2008, you can cut your energy costs for that same small chest freezer by less than half per month. A chest freezer sized below 16.5 cubic feet costs $53 per year, using a total of 404 kilowatt-hours per year, or 34 kilowatt-hours per month.

what were you saying again?

lolfag

>still live in parents basement
>parents house has 2 people
user...

$53 is a lot of meat, bro. Especially considering you only have to factor in the difference saved from discounts, not the total price.

>16.5 cubic feet
Still, I'm curious. How many cubic feet is the one pictured in the OP, approximately?

Actually, it can be quite a bit less if you live in a region with colder winters and your freezer is in an unheated/partially-heated area like a garage. Freezer energy usage is contingent to a large extent upon how much effort it takes the compressor to keep the internal temperature below a certain point. If the external temperature is low, then the energy required falls.

I mean, yeah sure, but the freezer also works harder during summer

>How do people with full freezers keep track of the stuff at the bottom?
You remember what's in there, and you dig to find stuff occasionally.
Alternatively? Stock rotation.

You can't get to it unless you excavate the top layers and pull a lot of stuff out. Have you ever left stuff at the bottom of the freezer for years?
That's what chest freezers are FOR.

Have you ever tried to resurrect extremely old or frost-burned food?
How did it turn out?
Yes. Like normal; frozen is frozen. It doesn't get freezer-burned if it's properly sealed.

>filling such a freezer with store bought food makes zero sense unless you live in the middle of nowhere.
Or if you might get sick and not be able to shop for a while.
Or if you grew up in the middle of nowhere, where you could be snowed in for a month, and are still kinda paranoid about it.
Or if you just like having a large stock of frozen meals or meal-sized packs of ingredients on hand.

It can be stocked with emergency food, or 'I can't be bothered to cook but forgot to do the shopping for the week' food.
You can buy fresh bread products and freeze them in bulk. You don't have to think 'will I eat this before it goes off' when shopping. Instead, you freeze it and suddenly you have a whole chicken handy if you fancy a roast dinner, along with the trimmings.

This.
Until they get covered in frost.

faggot

kill yourself

Math is not her strong point

Make sure everything is dated and learn to rotate your stock. It's not hard.
Oh look, a fucking coastie faggot who's never gone hunting or fishing in their life.
Do you know how much meat is on 25 salmon? Do you know how much meat is on an average halibut? Do you know how much meat is on a legal moose?
Hint: IT'S A LOT

I wonder if anyone's crunched the numbers on this.
Yeah, if you put your freezer outside in Winter it'll use less power, but if you keep the freezer in your house it'll generate heat that helps keep the place warm. Do you save equally on your heating bill to what extra you're using to run the freezer?

Also, if you live in a place that gets VERY cold in Winter you can actually damage your freezer or at least shorten its lifespan by keeping it outside. They can't all handle the low temperatures, funny enough.

question. my family had one of these freezer and plenty of frozen meat and products in it. the power went out and return to the whole house, but we didn't notice that the freezer wasn't powered up until 3 days later. everything was thawed up and there was plenty of water in the seperated boxes. is the meat and the once frozen products ruined?

I wouldn't risk it, throw it out.
Food poisoning is a real bitch.
Let that be a lesson to you for next time.

Good luck explaining anything to a female. They just like to buy stuff. For a good life, avoid a wife

yes sir. what would the risks be?

They don't. They suffer through mystery meat stew once every two years. The freezer burn hides the true identity of the meat.

did you even read the post?

jesus, even the kids are showing early signs of obesity. why isn't this considered child abuse?

Because it's the agenda bruv

>I can't read two whole sentences

I feel like this happens a lot on this board.. maybe the rumors it tons of females are true..

Employ a rotation system like a supermarket. Write the dates clearly on everything. Everytime you add something put it at the bottom, put the older stuff on top.

>whitetrash living in trailer
>kids holding and pointing loaded firearms toward a building in a trailer park
>neanderthal father not even supervising kids with loaded firearms

Christ, this could be a poster showing why gun control is absolutely required.

It's a little hard to make out but the dad seems to be the only one with an actual gun, looks the a 10/22. The others look like BB guns.

Can confirm, looks to be Daisy Red Ryder BB carbines for the kids and a Remington 10/22 for the adult. I work at a certain retail store that sells both of these things.

How did you get baited so easily? Were you all dropped on head as children?

dry erase board

ck is full of women

My dad is kind of a hoarder. I found stuff in his freezer that expired in 2011 this year.

If it's true why don't all us co/ck/s have cooking gfs? There are very few females on imageboards imo

I don't know if I would call them women. Hosebeasts maybe.

my freezer has 2 kegs of beer and a CO2 tank

bamp

>Is this just the natural order of things, for people to accumulate more fridge than they need?
It's natural in the sense hoarding in general is a natural thing some people end up having a propensity for.
But is it something everyone does, or even most people do?
No.
I personally do this, and I'm not motivated by any rational incentive to want to keep food around for the future. If I could magically make all the old food in my refrigerator and freezer disappear I would do so immediately. How it gets there in the first place is usually that I buy delivery or fast food and don't like it or otherwise don't finish it all in one sitting, and then I stick it in the refrigerator or the freezer so I don't have to think about it anymore (and don't have to worry about it attracting insects as much as if I'd have left it in a garbage can which I might not get around to taking out any time soon).

My wife loves to make big batches of stuff in the slow-cooker then save the leftovers for later. Every fucking time. And whenever I catch her, I tell her to just give them to the dogs because she is never going to eat them.

We have this 2' layer of tupperware at the bottom of our deepfreezer. I think I really will just start giving it to the dogs. I bet they'll have a blast with a frozen hunk of beef stew. Although they're not supposed to have onions. Hmm.

It's amazing that we still consider women to be sentient beings.

Read up on Parkinson's law and you'll see the same sort of behaviour everywhere. Work expands to fill a budget, traffic expands to fill roads, garbage expands to fill freezers.

You periodically rotate the stuff out. You take everything out and put it back in upside down.

Tried that, now I can't read the packaging because it's all upside-down.
You're an idiot.

Oh just piss off back to r9k.

Human women are basically Kzinti women

Nice Niven shoutout

Our record was when we moved and found a piece of lean moose meat no less than 7 years old. It was still in perfect condition. Packed in a plastic bag and wrapped in paper, no frost burn at all.

What is the best way to wrap food for a freezer to prevent freezer burn?

shooting bile out of your top and your poopy hole

>I work at a certain retail store that sells both of these things.
>Remington 10/22
>I work at a store that sells these things so I know what i'm talking about
>Remington 10/22