Oats and Beans

You ready to get cooking, Veeky Forums? It's about time I drop on you some revolutionary shit. I've looked to see if anyone has done this before and apparently they haven't.

Hear me out here.

Today we're making Oats and Beans. And I believe the oats are a genuinely superior carb compliment to the beans than rice. They give the dish a creamy finish, give a better platform for the seasonings, are healthier for you, cheap as dirt, and cook much quicker than rice.

You will need:
Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
Canned beans of your choice
Garlic
White Onion
Butter
Chicken Bullion
Sazon
Adobo

First melt about a tablespoon of butter in a pot, dice half of an onion and toss that shit in there.

Once your onion starts getting translucent, throw in your garlic and get it aromatic.

A good goya always eats his beans.

Once your alliums are nicely cooked, it is time to start cooking the oats.

Mix about a cup and 3/4ths of water with chicken bouillon. I use this real deal spic shit so it tastes just like abuelita used to make (aka poverty).

Pour it in your pot along with a cup of rolled oats and a light dash of salt (be careful here, since we're gonna add a lot of salty shit to this)

Put the pot on high heat until your oats reach a swampy boil, lower the heat to medium and keep stirring until the water disappears and the oats become nice and creamy.

I'm intrigued

Once your oats have reached the desired consistency, it is time to season.

Season with sazon, adobo, and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Be careful with the adobo, that shit is powerfully salty, so add it last.

Once your oats are properly seasoned, they're delicious enough on their own, but it is time to add the beans. Drain your can and add them in while the oats are still hot, so they soften nicely. I prefer black beans, but red was all I had.

And wa la! Just like rice and beans, they make a perfect main or side dish. They're hearty, deliciously flavorful, creamy, and cheap as hell to make.

The onion/garlic/bouillon base also makes a delicious vehicle for other savory oat dishes.

I hope this thread has inspired you to give them a shot. They're super easy to whip up in under 20 minutes. Enjoy!

Holy shit this might actually get me to eat oats.

FUCK don't make this, it turns into mustard gas.

Fuck you OP, posting from the hospital

Looks good, OP. Just needs some veggies on the side and you'd have a great meal.

Sounds grotesque.

Why? Just because you always associate having to put sugar on your oats?

Lol bump

Wow delicious

Cooking this now

>I've looked to see if anyone has done this before and apparently they haven't.

If I have any left over beans in the fridge they go in my breakfast regardless of what breakfast is. I like black beans, garbanzos and lima beans in my oatmeal.

Not bad but add eggs next time.

Let me know how it turns out

I work for the bean wholesaler that supplies most of goyas beans. Tgey are good but you should be buuing Bush if you want our best.

Bush uses to much sugar and salt for me, especially the Garbanzos, I hate when garbanzos are sweet tasting. When I do buy canned I just go with the pricey organic stuff since they have no sugar and almost no salt. Joan of Arc are the best of the big brands, no sugar in theirs either, same salt content as Bush, which is fine for some things, but more salt then I would like for others.

I just do not see why one would add sugar to beans.

Replace one with 'americans' and you'll answer your own question.

Used black beans, came out as mediocre as you'd aspect. But for me being dru/ck I'd say it was good.

Sorry to hear you found it only mediocre. Did you use all the same seasonings? How would you say it compares to traditional rice and beans?

Not sure how eggs would compliment a dish like this. Maybe fried on top.

I haven't tried this, but I have had oats with eggs, cheese, and some bacon bits mixed in. It was alright but I much prefer savory grits to savory oats.

Got home from work a few hours ago and just whipped some of this shit up, I didn'thave the specific seasonings you used, I had to use vegeta vegetable stock, and seasoned with ground cumin and coriander. Overall it was pretty tasty, definitely decent for the amount of effort involved

And as said I reckon an egg either fried or scrambled would be nice with it

Fuck meant to quote

Just fuck my shit up senpai

I think the reason savory oats are thought of as disgusting is because of the carb slime that is created when they are rehydrated. It's fine for sweet oat dishes but it is unpleasant for savory ones. It might just be a texture thing, but it also seems like you need a good amount of salt on savory oats just to taste it.

I don't know if I would describe well cooked oats as 'slimy'. Maybe your liquid to oat ratio is a bit off. I find the consistency to be creamy, and think that savory elements and seasonings compliment that texture well.

Retard.

Yours look dry af senpai

They didn't seem very dry to me

Not that guy but when I eat oatmeal I just put milk, salt, and walnuts. No sugar. I've tried doing other things with oatmeal but it just doesn't taste right for some reason, might be the consistency.

Wow OP, I actually discovered the oats and beans combination myself about a year ago, I couldn't believe how good it tasted. Interesting to see that I'm not the first one to notice. One of my laziest lunches is heinz baked beans and oats cooked in the microwave. Don't knock it till you try it.