What's your take on listening to instrumental music while reading?

What's your take on listening to instrumental music while reading?

It's just noise, you might perceive it consciously for a few moments, but beyond that you're fully concentrated on the book. If that is not the case it is distracting and thus detrimental to reading actual literature.

You know what I find best? Reading outside, but away from other people, in nature. It is a quite positive environment, so you can actually pause and contemplate what you are reading without being put down by the cold walls of a room. Also there are no computers nearby if you have adhd, just like I assume a typical Veeky Forums pleb has.

I play instrumental music while reading, fucking fag ass pleb.

I've found it's impossible to listen to good music and read good literature at the same time. Remember- "listening" is not the same as "hearing."

Good music requires almost your full attention to appreciate properly, just as good writing does. You can't do both at the same time.

Embarrassing phrasing of obvious truisms.

I read music while listening to audiobooks.

I find it distracting and just becomes background music to me.
The only time I'll listen to instrumental traditional folk or classical music is with my full dedicated attention.

I read while blasting The Beatles on the lowest volume. I just like a quite environment with really quite music.

The only time I ever listen to music is if I am reading about music. It's nice to have something like Shostakovitch on while reading about him. I find have a loose sense of some of his music (especially when I am listening to what they are talking about) to be really helpful. I then go back and re-listen to whatever I initially liked.

I can't listen to music with vocals while I am reading.

As a musician I tend to get distracted by music very easily. On the rare occasions that I do listen to music while reading or studying I only listen to instrumental music. Usually jazz.

I don't think it could have been put much more plainly.

I've found that I need something else to distract me just a little bit or else I will eventually be lost in my thoughts while reading and will have to re-read a few times some pages.

You reduce your retention with any unneeded extra input. If you are educated in music, it will be particularly bad as you will see the structure and form to what others might perceive to be enjoyable noise.

Though, that doesn't really matter if you're just casually reading a story. Or maybe it does, you decide.

music can really affect a person's mood much more than other forms of art, so it will affect the way you read the book. If you read anna karenina with some sad drone music in the background, you might feel it as a cathartic tragedy. If you read it while listening to Pentangle or some other wispy folk music, you'll feel that it's a light tragicomedy.

I read a (depressing) short hemingway story once while listening to uplifting instrumental music, and I perceived it as being somewhat positive. When I talked about it being so to other people, they gave me a very questioning look.

I agree, user. Music is too much of a distraction as a musician.

do you reckon the depth of emotion attached to it is due to social conditioning or inherent emotion? Note "depth", obviously even difference in speed of music alone is immediately analogous to emotion.

You shouldn't listen to anything other than minimalist and ambient music while reading.

What's your take on reading to prose literature while listening?

Did you read the new Julian Barnes book? Forgot what it's called

why jazz? Isnt the syncopation distracting?

>not practicing Tibetan throat singing while reading
Fucking pleb.