Fermentation Station General

It's that time of month again. Last batch of hot sauce got cleaned up pretty quick.

Left to Right:

1) Sweet Pepper, Jalapeno, Serrano, Guero, Garlic, Peppercorn (wanted to try a sweeter variety of peppers to add some contrast to the spice.
2) Guero, Serrano, Garlic, Peppercorn (went looking for Fresno and ended up with Guero... thanks Vons...)
3) Jalapeno, Serrano, Garlic, Peppercorn (standard blend, make at least one every batch).

Only thing I've done differently to my standard fermentation method is added 3% sugar solution to my 5% brine. Eager to see how it comes out.

Post 'em.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0Rt329xQUjM
youtube.com/watch?v=sUwy71ddj1M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

do you ever sell your goods? I knew someone back in the day that pickled hot banana peppers my the gallon and i would give twenty bucks for a gallon. they were real good

I give some out to co-workers when I make large batches (10+ jars). There might be some food handling implications if intended to sell. Haven't looked into food licensure for my county/state, but it might not be a bad business startup idea. Guy I work with makes breads (ancient grains, seasonal, jalapeno cheddar, etc.) and has a stall at a farmers market and take orders for people in the office. So I could always ask him what's needed to get started.

the person I was talking about was a co-worker. he did it just to make a little extra cash. I'm almost positive he wasn't licensed

What ratios of peppers do you use? I attempted a habonero sauce, and although it was good, didn't have much flavor and was blisteringly hot

Never been much of a fan for measurements. Experiment, try new pepper combinations, dick around, eventually you'll find a good balance that you'll want to use consistently. I just go by what feels right; it's not an exact science. The same species can have two different tastes dependent on dozens of factors. Sometimes you'll get a loser, other times it'll be an out of the park home run.

>dude botulism lmao

Do you have pictures of the whole process from previous batches?

>dude i don't know anything about fermentation lmao

Thanks bub. Always enjoy lurking your threads.

Really not much to it in terms of visual aids. I use a 5% brine (12.5g salt per 1 cup water) and just let it go for two weeks. When it's done I toss all the peppers in a blender with a little brine and just a dash or two of vinegar. After blending always taste for salt, or even sugar. Since the lactobacillus thrive on eating the sugars you'll want to add a little more at the end process if you want just a tinge of sweetness in there.

This was my last small batch. Blended of the jalapeno/serrano combination above, and reserved a little of the brine as starter for this batch.

This was from way back. At the time I was still playing around with how much brine/vinegar to add to the blended mixture. That time it came out a bit too loose. I've got a good idea of consistency down now.

no fermentation thread is complete without the latest and greatest from Brad
youtube.com/watch?v=0Rt329xQUjM

i've only ever made refrigerator pickles. the only thing i ferment is sourdough bread. do you have a good beginner recipe for fermenting peppers or kraut?

Peppers, easy as pie.

You get a jar.
You get some peppers.
You cut them peppers and stick it in a jar.
-Half time-
Pour some salted water of them; I like 5%, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
You top it, boom bam, you're good to go.
If no airlock, burp it every day. If air lock, set and forget for 14 days.

Kraut, go here.
youtube.com/watch?v=sUwy71ddj1M
Basically do that... but without the seasoning and showboating.

Happy fermenting buddy.

thank you, based user!

You should try the dark souls of fermentation: cocoa. Fucked up 2nd attempt this week.

How does one ferment cocoa exactly? I wouldn't imagine it tasting very well.

>I wouldn't imagine it tasting very well.

fermented cocoa is the base ingredient of chocolate.

>not being cultured enough to post in these threads

>he doesn't get the joke
>women_pointing_and_laughing.jpg

tyler user? is this tyler? you can tell me its ok step brother i wont tell pap glenn

Barking up the wrong tree, user.

Things are getting bubbly; fermentation has begun.

my step brother revealed to me he posts on Veeky Forums and hes currently fermenting shit left and right. i was just hoping for a funny story come xmas was all. Looks delicious user good job and good luck

Whats the easiest way to get into this? I've been wanting to pickle a bunch of eggs for a while, and tried throwing a few into a jar of pickle juice but the juice never permeated very far in.

Brad is quite the Chad

For me, it's salt and vinegar pickles without any vajayjay flavor.

>without any vajayjay flavor.

Found the numale.

Where do you live?

Can I come over and try some?

MY family's gift theme this year is "handmde" and apparently "money I made with my own hands"is a non-starter. I want to do pickles n' things, but I have to do the super simple things that you just jar and ignore for a couple of weeks because I can't into. Does anyone have a handy repository of information for a poor soul?

kek, do you like chocolate?

>no fermentation = no chocolate

Chocolate is for females and homosexuals.

The traditional way is to bury the whole pod under some banana leaves. The cacao fruit comes with its own bacteria.

Since mead takes fucking forever to ferment due to high brix I had this idea of fermenting a low brix honey solution.

if you really want lazy, handmade. do a cheese log

>comes with its own bacteria
As a lot of things regarding fermented foods. La nature est bien faite.

>nods, spits dip, thumbs suspenders

fag

Currently waiting for my ginger beer to take off in the fermentation crock before bottling. Got the starter going just fine, but in the larger vessel it is taking it's time. Temp has been I the low 60Fs for almost a week now, so I assume it's due to that.

Not fermented, but giving Fire Cider a try. Took forever to chop up all those ingredients.

You too come with you own bacteria. Embrace the beauty of nature, my friend :3

I'll be blending the mango/garlic habanero on the right tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that fucker but I've been enjoying these guys I did earlier this year.

What % brine do you use for your habanero? I've attempted to ferment habanero on at least 6 separate occasions and got the gags each time on D day. Not quite sure why it's going bad on me.

I think the 3% sugar solution on top of the brine was a step in the right direction.
Usually it doesn't get this cloudy until day 8 or 9, and this is day 3.