Comfy Stew Thread

Weather's getting colder, time to cozy up and post them favorite soup/stews. Bonus if you post your own recipes.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.de/search?safe=off&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&biw=1408&bih=726&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=yNcsWvXsBYSasAfZxpKYBg&q=knollensellerie&oq=knollensellerie&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0l10.13543.17201.0.19042.15.9.0.6.6.0.133.964.0j9.9.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.15.1044...0i67k1.0.MQ2VxmJ7yCc
youtube.com/watch?v=Oqg_cO4s8ik
archive.hnsa.org/doc/cookbook1945/pg129.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I always make a potato chowder for my seafood-intolerant family.

>4 potatoes into wedges, 4 chopped carrots, Broccoli florets (optional, used for veetameens personally) all boiled in a pot for ~25 mins
>fry up 2 chopped onions while its boiling
>Drain veggies while setting some excess water aside, toss in 2 cups of fat free half n half, 2 tbs flour, garlic salt, pepper, and paprika and stir the whole lot of it together

Then I usually toss in some smoked bacon bits from the store, but any meat with a rich, smoky flavor pairs nicely

looks tasty, makes me want to make a potato soup

Chowder is master soup

salsa verde chicken quinoa soup:

two boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
5-6-ish cups chicken broth (or water w/bullion)
a can of white beans, drained and rinsed
1-1½ bell pepper, diced
1-1½ onion, diced
2/3 to 1 jar salsa verde
½ cup uncooked quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
1 tablespoon cumin
1-1½ teaspoon chili powder

in a large soup pot, bring broth to a boil
add chicken, turn heat down and simmer until cooked
skim off any foam that rises to the top of the pot while it’s simmering
remove chicken and set to the side to cool
add literally all of the rest of ingredients to the pot
bring to a boil, then immediately turn down heat to a low simmer
shred/chop the chicken, then add it back to the pot
simmer on low for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
serve with whatever you want (cheese, sour cream, etc)

i would commit indescribable crimes for any mushroom soup. that's just how i am.

Italian Lentil And Brown Rice Soup:

olive oil
1 small onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes with juices
5-6 cups broth of choice (use veggie broth to make vegan)
3-4 tablespoons dried herbs of choice (i use oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram)
½ cup brown rice
½ cup dried brown, green, or lentils du puy
salt and pepper to taste

in a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat a hefty glug of olive oil over medium heat
sauté onion and carrots until softened, 5 minutes or so
add minced garlic and tomato paste, sauté an additional 2 minutes
pour in broth, diced tomatoes with juices, herbs, rice, and lentils
bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a very low simmer
cook, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes to an hour, adding more water or broth if it gets too thick
season with salt and pepper at the end

Damn how many people that feed

a whole fucking lot (6-8, with seconds for a few if they want them.) it's good for groups but it also freezes well.

it's also really fucking cheap, and is both gluten-free and vegan if you have guests that have dietary restrictions. it's really good with fresh parm grated on top, though.

upon reflection, maybe more like 6 instead of 6-8 people. if it's a bigger group, just add more lentils/rice (3/4-1 cup each) and adjust the broth as necessary and it'll taste just as good. i served it with fresh bread, which helped extend it, but if you're serving it straight with no sides it'll probably feed closer to 6 people.

I like split pea soup - a staple of the German Wehrmacht.

300-400g peas (frozen are easiest)
bacon or pork belly (to taste, ca. 1 cup)
2-3 potatoes
3-4 carrots
1-2 onions
1/4 bulb of celeriac
1/2 stalk of leeks
some stock
salt, pepper, marjoram, parsley

Dice all the vegetables and the meat, (ideally you now sweat it all off in batches), put all in a pot. Add about 100g of peas and just enough stock so that everything is barely covered. Add salt. Bring to a boil, let it all simmer for about 20 minutes.

Then put the rest of the peas in an extra pot, fill that extra pot with the hot stock from the first pot, let the peas simmer until properly cooked. Then turn them into pea mush by thoroughly blending them with an immersion blender. Pour the blended peas and stock back into the first pot with the other veggies and let everything simmer together for a while. Season with pepper, marjoram and parsley. Serve with freshly baked bread.

It's necessary to cook the peas in the previously used liquid. If you boil them in extra liquid and add them to the other pot the final pea stew/soup will get too thin and runny.

That sounds gross.

Sounds really good, going to try that [spoiler]though I'll admit I have no idea what celeriac is[/spoiler]

the only memory I have of split pea soup is a nasty version and being stuck in some old lady's house while my mom chatted with her and staring at floral print and hating my life

How much marjoram do you use? What does it taste like compared to other herbs? I haven't used that before.

In German it's called Knollensellerie, a really piquant root vegetable. Looks like this:
google.de/search?safe=off&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&biw=1408&bih=726&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=yNcsWvXsBYSasAfZxpKYBg&q=knollensellerie&oq=knollensellerie&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0l10.13543.17201.0.19042.15.9.0.6.6.0.133.964.0j9.9.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.15.1044...0i67k1.0.MQ2VxmJ7yCc

It's not the normal celery.

Celery grown for the root not the stalks.

marjoram is great in all hearty, substantial dishes with meat and veggies (like goulash), it has a very savoury taste. Start with a heaping teaspoon, from there keep adding to taste.

Wiener Saftgulasch - Viennese Goulash

1kg beef (or pork, venison, lamb)
1kg onions (or more)
4 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp. marjoram
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp. tomato paste
4 tsp. hot paprika powder
1 tsp. caraway
stock
cooking oil/clarified butter
salt
pepper

Cut the meat into cubes, then brown the cubes from all sides in a very hot skillet. Put them in a stockpot. Heat more cooking oil or clarified butter in the skillet you used for the meat. Dice or slice the onions as finely as possible, put them in the skillet and let them caramelize, then put them in the stock pot too. Add stock until meat and onions are barely covered.

Add caraway, marjoram, paprika, tomato paste, vinegar and crushed or sliced garlic.
Let everything simmer for at least 1h, 2-3h are better, for really tender meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with some boiled, mealy potatoes, rice, white bread or some bread dumplings.

Sounds comfy

youtube.com/watch?v=Oqg_cO4s8ik

If you've never had this, I highly recommend it.

Just tried this one, man was it good. Thanks for the recipe.

you're very welcome, glad you liked it!

What’s with this guys speech pattern? Reminds me of the guy from that autistic doctor show

My nigga. We do the same but add a can of creamed corn and a can of niblets to make potato corn chowder.

dr oG from oprah or doctr fill?

l0l

The good doctor

I made a vegan roasted vegetable stew for work the other day.

>carrots
>celery
>fennel bulb
>sweet potato
>zucchini
>rutabaga
>golden beets
>all roasted until 80% done
>onion and garlic sauteed with olive oil
>toss in mushrooms and saute until cooked
>add stewed tomatos and vegetable stock
>rosemary, thyme, oregano, black pepper, marjoram
>add new potatoes and simmer until potatoes are 80% done
>throw all that shit into a big ass roaster with all the roasted vegetables and toss it in the oven until vegetables are finished cooking
>thicken with some olive oil roux
>salt and pepper to taste

Was very good. Still would have been better with beef.

that sounds fucking delicious

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
3 celery diced
1 red bell pepper diced
2 cloves garlic minced
3 cups/ 1 pound corn kernels
1/2 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp salt
ground black pepper
3 cups chicken stock
2 large chicken breasts on the bone without skin
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup heavy cream

turn pressure cooker to brown
add oil and saute onion and celery for 3-4 mins, add red pepper, garlic, corn kernels, thyme, crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper. mix, cook for another 2 min
add chicken stock and submerge chicken breasts, breast down. lock lid
pressure cook high 8 min
use quick release, shred chicken by hand
puree 2 cups soup along with flour using blender, put pureed soup and shredded chicken back in cooker, mix
put cooker on brown, pour heavy cream

i like to crumble in oyster crackers and dip italian bread with butter in the bowl

Pasta e fagioli

>white beans
>ditali pasta
>chicken stock
>tomato paste
>celery
>onions
>carrots
>spinach
>olive oil

Sweat off the diced carrots, celery, tomato paste and onions. Get your chicken stock and throw it into the vegetable mix. Put in your beans and spinach to cook them out, as well as the pasta if you choose. Cook the beans until they are creamy but still have some texture to them. If you prefer to not have the starch added from the pasta, cook the pasta in a different pot and add later.

This is a very flexible soup so throw in any vegetables really. I've also seen variants with ground beef and other pasta shapes, so play around. Test for seasoning of course.

This is my meatball noodle stew

>fat free half n half
I've never understood this. If half n half is half milk and half cream, how can you have fat free cream? What kind of chemical abomination is that?

In grade school every Wednesday it was Dinty Moore beef stew day. For me it’s a nostalgic flavor.

celeriac root

Why not saute veggies in bacon grease

>Bonus if you post your own recipes.
do you realize what you have potentially done

You may have to cut this recipe down if you don't eat much.

It's jes a sprinkle of bacon lad don't blow off

archive.hnsa.org/doc/cookbook1945/pg129.htm

I found the WW2 Navy cookbook.

>equal tomatoes to potatoes ratio
these people should die off

Defatted milk with thickeners and emulsifiers thrown in, I'd imagine.

I've used fat free half n half but I've heard it's worse for you than actual fat

hell of a lower calorie count though

that really is the GOAT stew

did a tomato basil chicken stew recently

1 onion
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
4 cloves garlic or more
2 28oz cans whole tomato
1 ~ 1 1/2 lb chicken
1 can white beans 14~16oz
1 bag of spinach
1/4 ~ 1/3 cup fresh basil
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme and oregano

cut chicken into chunks and brown in pot with some oil. remove and saute diced onion celery and carrots in olive oil, add tomatoes and all juice from can, crush tomatoes against the side of the pot with a spoon or loosely hand crush it from the can while pouring them in, add back chicken, garlic crushed, beans, spinach and basil chopped. Finally throw in the seasonings and let it simmer covered for 45min to an hour.

As someone who really hates mushrooms, would it be fine if I just left them out or do they really add something to this that would then be missed?

in bigos the shrooms are very traditional but I've made it without before and I wouldn't say it was a huge change to the dish.

I made chicken noodle soup for dinner tonight
>Medium-High
>2 tablespoons butter, 2tsp salt, 1tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp herbs de Provence
>Brown 2 chicken breasts sliced into ~1 cubic inch slices
>Take out of the pot and set aside in a bowl
>Heat down to medium
>Into the pot, 4 tablespoons of butter, 2 cups of diced onions, 1 cup of celery, 1 cup of carrots, 2 cloves worth of minced garlic
>Cook for about 3 minutes
>2 Tablespoons of flour into the pot
>Stir vigorously until paste consistency
>Continue stirring until getting a beige color
>Add 1L chicken stock, 1 cup at a time
>Add first cup, stir until doughy consistency
>Drain chicken juice in bowl into the pot
>Add second cup, stir until gravy consistency
>Bring up to a boil
>Add third cup, stir until cream consistency
>Bring up to a boil
>Add fouth cup, stir until thoroughly mixed
>Bring up to a boil
>1 and a half cups of water, mix well
>Bring up to a boil
>Add chicken and a bay leaf in
>Cover and let simmer for at least half an hour
>Put 1 cup of pasta into the soup 10 minutes before you want to eat

left over chicken
one can black beans
one can corn
one can enchilada sauce
one can tomatoes

For me, it's potato soup. Gotta teach wifey the difference between the tops and bottoms of green onions, but it was still tasty.

I just made this and it tastes really good, thanks user for the recipe

10/10 would serve to others

You're welcome, Im glad you liked it. I make it for myself anow and again, the last time was the first time I took the time and caramelized the onions really thoroughly. It makes a pretty big difference and gives the dish a real depth of flavour. Of course I forgot the vinegar and didnt remember until I had eaten almost all of it, but it was still good.

how2make

Anyone know any good keto stew recipes?

if your only looking for a thickener then xanthan gum is your answer.

whats wrong with using both parts? are you a fag?

i think maybe the green parts are better if you're just using it as garnish? but if you're cooking at home just for your family who gives a fuck

not really a stew but I like to do potato or turnip ragout. I stole the recipe from jacques pepin but it's great with some fresh bread during the winter. Really simple as well. I usually swap the potatoes with small turnips and add a bit of rosemary with the thyme. Lots of pepper and parsley at the end.

>butternut squash
>boil til soft
>blend with cream/milk/meme milk subsitute
>add salt, pepper, cinnamon, garam marsala, conservative amount of honey
>toast some bread and eat the soup/dip it

usually, the whitish parts are cooked in some way because it tastes like raw onions and kind of weird in soup, whereas the green tops are good for what she was trying to do here.
It was good, I just thought Veeky Forums would criticize so i gave my disclaimer.
keep watching the thread i'll post a proper recipe for it.

I actually got this soup from Veeky Forums years ago and I make it every first snow. Only once a year, makes it a fucking treat. Turned me on to parsnips too.

Crusty baguette is a must.

ok here is what she said, sorry for accuracy you guys can figure it out to taste

dice 3 medium potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes
dice a sweet onion
put the potatoes into a saucepan on medium heat, enough water just to cover, set timer for 45 minutes (salt here)
stir occasionally
after 15 minutes (into the 45), add the onion
smash potatoes as you cook.
after the above mentioned time, add a cup of milk, cook an additional 10 minutes

garnish with some fried bacon, green onion (please only use the tops), crackers, and/or whatever else you like.

this will probably come out like shit because she's being stupid now and asking me "WHO ARE YOU GIVING THIS TO"

>dice 3 medium potatoes
lol ok she said NO NOT THREE POTATOES THREE POUNDS OF POTATOES

I strongly recommend you ignore this recipe. I take no responsibility for your actions

>nutmeg
proper savory use of nutmeg is patrician

I've been getting into oxtails. Delicious.

>kill those who disagree with me!

no how about we just kill you instead

>stew thread
>no irish stew posted

thanks

>fat free half n half
It's an abomination unto Saint Nigella and should be banned. All who use it are damned to Hell for all eternity.

Seriously, who comes up with this shit? Fucking vegans?