Reading a novel

>reading a novel
>long boring chapter
>start skipping paragraphs
Be honest, you do this too

I'm way too neurotic to skip a paragraph.

Never, really never.

Why the fuck would I ever do that.

This

>american cuisine

more like
>reading a novel
>long boring chapter
>zone out thinking about something else
>realize I'm like 3 pages passed the last thing I actually absorbed
>fuck
>go back and reread

Yes it's gotten to the point where I can finish a doorstopper in a couple of days

enjoy your ban

I've literally never skipped a single word on purpose

Exactly. I wind up rereading sentences because I get anxious that I read something wrong.

You're fucking disgusting.

Do you listen to an album strictly for the singles? Do you fast forward through the "long boring bits" of movies?

Maybe you should learn some discipline or read short stories.

If you want to skip just put the book down. I dont understand people who skim and still act like they really understood what was going on.

Because movies and albums take weeks-months to finish...

Because it doesn't matter. Go read a 500 page book. Now tell me what happened in every paragraph after you finish. I guarantee you've forgotten at least 90% of the details of the book unless you're actively rereading the lines. Skipping a few paragraphs of an entire book is not an issue in the slightest, in spite of how much you all want to pretend it is

passive reading is the worst waste of time/ effort you pleb. what are you even doing

yes i do this. i hate myself for it but i cannot stop at this point. i write good papers on those books i skim read though.

I will never do this.

Anyone that replies to this is getting reported

Eh. I'm like 80% against the practice, and I personally don't do it. But I do see how it can be useful.

Skipping paragraphs/pages/chapters can land you in interesting spots, which can make the preceding text more intriguing since it forces you to ask "how did THAT lead to THIS?" And of course, there's no one, single way to read a book; the "usual" way is the best most times, but off the top of my head, only a handful of books actually give tips/guidelines on how they're meant to be read (Hopscotch and Pale Fire come to mind).

My only hope is that you do eventually get back to those missed sections of the text. But otherwise...eh. It's not the worst thing you could do.

I can't even imagine what would drive someone to do this. I honestly feel like I can relate, on a human level, to serial killers and malevolent dictators more than I can relate to someone who intentionally skips paragraphs in a novel. Why even read the novel at all? Why not just read a plot summary and whatever shit sparknotes has about it?

My most recent example:
>start Count of Monte Cristo
>50 pages in
>long chapter about some boring ass wedding party of some brand new characters talking about French politics out of fucking nowhere
>its insufferable dull and boring and I'm not going to google 50 different people/places to understand what they're talking about
Ended up skipping like 6 pages and looked it up on spark notes and realized I missed literally nothing pertinent to the central story

>finish

nope sounds like you need to read things you actually like instead of what people tell you to read

Does that include you?

So you are getting reported?

Why would I report myself? Idiots.

The only people who do this are ADHD suffering mongoloids whose parents didn't love them.

so you too

>go to bookstore
>buy 5 books
>start reading one
>drop it
>never even start the others
>play video games instead

Be honest, you do this too. Everyone on Veeky Forums does. Nobody here reads. Reading is for fags.

>this webm triggers /tv/ so hard

it's crazy how much it does, someone go post it there and see

>skipping content because you don't like it

Oh God this is me too. I can never finish books and this is why.

I fucking hate myself for doing it but, when I have most of my free time at home after work I mostly play veideogames or eat shit online, maybe read a short story or a few pages of whatever book I'm reading, but it's a struggle because I'm mentally drained from the usual long day. and while internet and videogames are enjoyable I could do without them, and when I'm at work I just want to read. feelsbadman.sumerian_scroll

This is why igave up on reading the idiot.

No. I did caught myself skimming sentences when it turned too long winded in Les Mis but if a book is boring enough to make me skip shit, I simply drop it. There are too many other books to waste your time on the ones you don't fully enjoy.

>buying books
>still playing vidya
Yeah, no.

Besides, I honestly don't get how people over a certain age can still enjoy vidya for long, the shit seems way to simplistic. It's the fidget spinner in a virtual form. Obviously there are some great games, the Witcher III being probably last one but literally playing the shit almost every day? The idea seems just so bizarre to me, more bizarre than people liking talkshows or court dramas.

It's a pretty legitimate choice when talking about entertainment. If you're reading for other reasons, obviously skipping isn't an option but that's the case with everything else. If you study film, you should finish the shit you don't like too but if you're just watching it for enjoyment, there is no reason to waste your time on something you ... don't enjoy.

If it's dumb details that don't add anything I skip paragraph. But this is purely non fiction.

I think when I was in highschool, yeah.

never
are you really this retarded that you can not bring up the willpower to read it?

do you skip the boring parts of shows like game of thrones?

That webm is reminding me of my hunger, stop it, but no I don't consciously skip paragraphs.

Doesn't even have to be boring. My mind could just pick up a thought, and the thought is carried out while my eyes still scan the lines. It's like my eyes are reading the words obediently but the brain isn't paying attention and so it goes right over my head. Realize what happened, go back to the last thing I remember, continue reading. It's happened quite a few times before and is extremely annoying.

I can finish books, but yeah, it sucks...

>reading for the plot

Retard

user.... go easy on the reports...

>Long boring chapter.
>Ooh this must be the most high-brow patrician part of the book.
>Read it and ironically pay greater attention; and pretend I really enjoyed that particular chapter.
>Make threads on Veeky Forums about it.

I have a bigger problem. I have to read a lot in my job, and a big part of it is useless so I'm a very proficient fast reader.

So when I pick a novel even if I try to to read it properly and enjoy it I end up fast reading big parts of it.

try me

I only skip a) character chapters if I REALLY hate the character. But honestly, the chances of me even reading the book if I really hate a character is already super fucking low. and b) sex scenes. I usually end up just going back and rereading the skipped chapter anyway. Not the sex scenes tho.

i got into still life with woodpecker and by the time they got to her being a recluse again, and writing the long chapters about the theories behind the pyramids, aliens, and stuff, i ended up skimming pretty heavily. i got back to it towards the end though. i think a lot of what stunk about that novel was that there was not enough woodpecker hijinks and too much contemplation.

Same here. I feel bad if I don't read every word, even if I miss the meanings, which happens a lot desu.

What part of "The Idiot" did you find boring?

Only instance I ever did that was the third time a chapter in American Psycho entailed the mc writing a insanely pretentious review of some music album.

only with erotica

This

bugs.........................................

No...i don't.

Except in this case

It's bread and cheese. Fucking inbreds how can you not laugh at this crap?

>putting this much camera work into making a cheese sandwich
why?

>cheese sandwich
It's a grilled cheese you dumb britcuck

Now this is relatable.

I've never skipped a single word. I might drop any book, but I'll never skip something in it.

I skip all philosophical rants, very annoying.

Every time mayne. It's like I'm saying "S- sorry what?" to the book in my head

You're gonna have to skip alot of Atlas Shrugged.

I don't, but if this happens I'll curse a lot once I'll put the book down.

>atlas shrugged has any philosophy

>learn some discipline
discipline to read or watch a fucking movie?. you dont need discipline to this things. you are ilogiccaly wasted if you think this.
your approach is like you are still in the school and need to impress the teacher.

this guy knows.

Pride and Prejudice. In the town, when the girls are swooning over some men in the military.

What did he do?

What do you read for, user?

I do that with the fashion descriptions in American Psycho. I don't care what brand his pants are.