I saw a thread about Ready Player One a few days ago...

I saw a thread about Ready Player One a few days ago, and that plus the fact that it's getting a movie made me decide to read it.

Now my question is, what do I read next so I can fucking forget about this trashfire and move on?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/neilcic/status/888866630306082817
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Aesop.

the Fables?

Of Mice and Men

Vurt if you want a smooth transition.

this sounds actually kinda interesting

It's fun. It's like a druggy Neuromancer without all the technobabble.

Now you move on to the real stuff.

Not gonna lie that's a pretty sweet cover.

Does Cline actually go into the implications of how nostalgia-wanking actually contributes to the decline of society or is the book literally just the decline of society in and of itself.

>a druggy Neuromancer without all the technobabble.
what is the point then

of course no,the later

it's neither, it's just uninhibited nostalgia-wanking

>go into the implications of how nostalgia-wanking actually contributes to the decline of society
Which books actually do this?

sounds like ultra heaven

SHUT THE FUCK UP PIC RELATED REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE111

there is no god

the more threads you make about this book the more it exists, the more it seeps into the vulnerable parts of your weak mind, taking hold like a virus that will one day grow into the idea of making a reddit account just to see what all the fuss is about and hey this isn't so bad it's actually pretty fun haha

What was the post, user? It's not there anymore

Doesn't DeLillo's Underground touch on this?

why do video games trigger you guys so much?

I thought it was going to be a meta-commentary on millennials but then I saw some excerpts and listened to five minutes of the audiobook in a thread on /tv/ last night and realised that Cline didn't actually apply any wit to his work.

A link to Vurt. Must've seemed like advertising

because i love video games and literature, so when something comes along that's the worst of both, i get angry

Because Veeky Forums actually likes vidya, but they've always been made fun of for it, so they switched to reading so they could contrive a sense of intellectual superiority.

It's classic projection

>the only bad thing is the video game aspect
Go back, gen x trash.

Read some William Gibson, who's actually a decent writer and who Cline ripped off.

No, the whole story of the book is that nostalgia wanking is legitimate because it could make you a fortune and get you a girlfriend.

Bought this a year ago and wanted to ready this weekend after i saw it was getting a movie adaptation.
Is it rally that bad?

not an argument

They targeted gamers.
Gamers.
We're a group of people who will sit for hours, days, even weeks on end performing some of the hardest, most mentally demanding tasks. Over, and over, and over all for nothing more than a little digital token saying we did.
We'll punish our selfs doing things others would consider torture, because we think it's fun.
We'll spend most if not all of our free time min maxing the stats of a fictional character all to draw out a single extra point of damage per second.
Many of us have made careers out of doing just these things: slogging through the grind, all day, the same quests over and over, hundreds of times to the point where we know evety little detail such that some have attained such gamer nirvana that they can literally play these games blindfolded.
Do these people have any idea how many controllers have been smashed, systems over heated, disks and carts destroyed 8n frustration? All to latter be referred to as bragging rights?
These people honestly think this is a battle they can win? They take our media? We're already building a new one without them. They take our devs? Gamers aren't shy about throwing their money else where, or even making the games our selves. They think calling us racist, mysoginistic, rape apologists is going to change us? We've been called worse things by prepubescent 10 year olds with a shitty head set. They picked a fight against a group that's already grown desensitized to their strategies and methods. Who enjoy the battle of attrition they've threatened us with. Who take it as a challange when they tell us we no longer matter. Our obsession with proving we can after being told we can't is so deeply ingrained from years of dealing with big brothers/sisters and friends laughing at how pathetic we used to be that proving you people wrong has become a very real need; a honed reflex.
Gamers are competative, hard core, by nature. We love a challange. The worst thing you did in all of this was to challange us. You're not special, you're not original, you're not the first; this is just another boss fight.

Speak for yourself, you fucking loser. Grow up, video games are for children.

Cringe

>Half the world and a billion dollar industry is wrong and you are right

Try harder, faggot.

If you want scifi, read a good PKD.

If not, read Goethe's Faust to get your lost soul back.

This is like those mentally ill people who try to lobby that schizophrenia is an advantage. Affirmative autism.

it's not the worst YA fiction i've read, but the sheer number of pedestrian 80s references and the hamfisted romance plot plus the author's complete lack of self-awareness and ignorance of actual programming make it one of the worst books I've forced myself to read in a long time.

Basically read it and you too can be mad like me

Is this a pasta? Sounds like something a Reddit or would post during gamergate

bassically nostalgia marketing, that's why is so overrated and commented on the internet

it's obviously ironic whether or not it is pasta. anyone who took it seriously or doesn't know whether or not to take it seriously is certainly from reddit or would do a lot better to make an account there

>Is this a pasta? Sounds like something a Reddit or would post during gamergate
>What is google

that's exactly what it was, except it was posted in shekelshoah

O M G

P
O
P

C
U
L
T
U
R
E

R E F E R E N C E S

So?

source of this?

You're obviously a giant faggot if you don't post your long-form exegesis on an anonymous Catalonian my little pony internet message board

Logical fallacy

if you don't have an argument to back up what you assert in your reply, don't bother replying.

I saw this piece of trash at the bookstore. Just because I hate myself I decided to pick it up and read a few pages.

>I wasn't some dilettante

>those noodle arms

>Veeky Forums
why

this, desu

You're a dumbass, that's my irrefutable argument.

That idiot played through every early access game. This makes me feel good.

literally me

twitter.com/neilcic/status/888866630306082817

You're all just mad you don't understand the references. It's a modern Finnegans Wake and it'll keep you retards busy for the next 300 years.

Book is a bit of fun. Veeky Forums hates fun. Therefore Veeky Forums hates book.

Sounds about right. I haven't read it, btw.

>I haven't read it, btw.
read it bro you'll be glad you did

I think the real issue is that actions speak louder than words.

so when people say theres gonna be a crossover of two popular things.

however when this actually gets done. people start talking about how much it sucks.

people are afraid of change. so marketers go with the familiar. and media execs like to keep their wallets by making safe decisions.

everytime I've seen the box art on a movie, video game or book that I haven't heard of and have no cultural reference for I never bat an eye, but when I engage with said piece of art, I become pleasantly suprised.

so basically everybody has to quit being such a pussypanderer and take some risks.
otherwise its not art, just an advertisement.