Want to read more fantasy and sci-fi

>want to read more fantasy and sci-fi
>imagination is shit
>characters, landscapes, and interiors are just vague mish mashes of visual qualities

This fucking sucks, what's wrong with me?

Huh, never thought of that before. What a weird problem.

I find sometimes the imagery in my head is crazier than what is put down in art or in movie adaptations tbqh famalam.

Literature isn't a visual medium, if you aren't capable of appreciating words on a page you're on the wrong board.

Watch more movies and whatever else. Play more games. Look up more images of lush wilderness and whatever else you want on pinterest. Maybe that will help you?

you're retarded

>want to read sci-fi
>there's female characters that fight and pilot ships
yeah ok, get fucked sjws

"Mar 14 1953

Dear Swanie:

Playback is getting a bit tired. I have 36,000 words of doodling and not yet a stiff. That is terrible. I am suffering from a very uncommon disease called (by me) atrophy of the inventive powers. I can write like a streak but I bore myself. That being so, I could hardly fail to bore others worse. I can't help thinking of that beautiful piece of Sid Perelman's entitled "I'm Sorry I Made Me Cry."

Did you ever read what they call Science Fiction? It's a scream. It is written like this: "I checked out with K19 on Aldabaran III, and stepped out through the crummalite hatch on my 22 Model Sirus Hardtop. I cocked the timejector in secondary and waded through the bright blue manda grass. My breath froze into pink pretzels. I flicked on the heat bars and the Brylls ran swiftly on five legs using their other two to send out crylon vibrations. The pressure was almost unbearable, but I caught the range on my wrist computer through the transparent cysicites. I pressed the trigger. The thin violet glow was icecold against the rust-colored mountains. The Brylls shrank to half an inch long and I worked fast stepping on them with the poltex. But it wasn't enough. The sudden brightness swung me around and the Fourth Moon had already risen. I had exactly four seconds to hot up the disintegrator and Google had told me it wasn't enough. He was right."

They pay brisk money for this crap?

Ray"

Straight from neuromancer

So being able to form imagery in my head isn't important for properly enjoying fantasy fiction?`

No

Neuromancer is trippy af.
>Cyberpunk
>Hard drugs
>Military flashbacks
>Cyber space
>Outer space
>Space druggies
>Turing Police
>Robot assassin butlers
>Let's write a book about it.
Took me once in college and twice more out of college to finish the book in a way I could understand.

>Google told me
>1953

no it is not, most often its superficial garbage that author spent too much time describing. often a boring location you will only visit once.
That is no longer considered trippy unless you are some sheltered faggot

>Literature isn't a visual medium

bull shit. if the writer can't describe a scene adequately - yes, Chine Mieville, we're looking at you and "Embassytown" - then they aren't worth reading.

OP: read some Jack Vance. the Lyonesse books are pretty good.

Interview in Virus#23
Cyberpunk Influences:

William Gibson: (back to the list) Alfred Bester, yeah. Bester I'll go for. [William Burroughs'] Naked Lunch, yes. Philip K. Dick, though, had almost no influence.

Tom Maddox: Right, you've really never much really read...

William Gibson: I never really read Dick because I read Pynchon. You don't need Dick if you've read Pynchon. I mean Dick was the guy who couldn't quite do it.

Tom Maddox: Ah, I think that's different, but you haven't read Dick, Bill (laughs).

a fan came up to Theodore Sturgeon at a convention and confronted him: "Ninety percent of science fiction is shit!"

Sturgeon replied, "Ninety percent of everything is shit."

one of the reasons places like Veeky Forums exist is so we can find the ten percent and share it.

>That is no longer considered trippy unless you are some sheltered faggot

woo, dude, you must be so far out there on the edge of the edge that you make Rudy Rucker look like Enid God Damned Blyton. what's your secret? holding your breath until you black out?

there has to be a point somewhere between the steely-eyed lantern-jawed classical fifties SF heroes like Kimball Kinnison, and the touchy-feely crystal flower elf dance singer mages that Anne McCaffrey foisted on us. both ends of the spectrum are pretty repellent.

did you know? they stole the name of the company from Enid Blyton's "Magic Faraway Tree" stories. they had a kind of bun packed full of sherbet with a small explosive charge that went off when you bit into it. it was called a Google bun. they were first published in 1943.

I don't see how reading Jack Vance is going to help somebody who can't from mental pictures, if anything it'll make OP feel more retarded. OP's problem isn't the wrong books, from the sounds of it it's that he can't appreciate writing good or bad.

No, not at all. That's not to say that a writer describing visuals is a waste of time, a good writer can make any writing worthwhile. The trouble is if you can't appreciate the difference between a good description of tedious background fluff (like Jack Vance's work, as the other user said) and an awful one (most other science-fiction or fantasy writers).

cunt what
if those words don't paint imagery in your mind's eye, you're not going to enjoy most fantasy and sci-fi

Faggot? No. Sheltered? Perhaps, but compared to what I thought sci-fi was, having only Asimov, Heinlein, and a few short stories to go off of, is it really surprising to be thrown for a loop by Gibson?

>I am the judge of whether a scene is described 'adequately'
>not the person who actually came up with the scene

>having only Asimov, Heinlein, and a few short stories to go off of, is it really surprising to be thrown for a loop by Gibson?

not at all. the movement was called cyberpunk for a reason - they saw themselves rebelling against the stale old guard. but, like punk, they all eventually sold out and came around to where they were just as stale.

Why don't you start with some comics/movies and work your way back? I recommend Prophet, the 6 Voyages of Lone Sloane, Orc Stain, and maybe like some Jack Kirby stuff to get started.

Try Tigana by Guy Gabriel Kay. It's a masterpiece.

Gavriel* Sorry, writing on mobile.

>the 6 Voyages of Lone Sloane,

oh please. Druillet admired Lovecraft, but he could never even approach the point of being as good as him. he was stuck in the mold of "wow, lovecraft, tentacled cosmic horror, i love that shit" and then drawing comics that had those elements and nothing else.

this, if you care about imagery read poetry. science fiction is about exploring complex complex problems through illustrative technology and high concept gimmicks